Joined 5776 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 33 of 151
01 July 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
When someone uses "если" or "или" conjunctions as an interrogative particle (instead of "ли") in Russian, it annoys the bejesus out of me.

Oh, that makes me think of another one!

I grind my teeth when people substitute the conjunction och ("and") for the infinitive marker att, like in:

Jag gillar och läsa ("I like and read")

Which should really be:

Jag gillar att läsa ("I like to read")

Thing is (of course there's a thing) that in rapid talk both words reduce to the same short [o], but how people can misanalyze this reduced form as a conjunction, when there is absolutely nothing to conjunct, well, that sure beats me. Sure, Swedish does have a certain wealth of weird constructions using the conjunction, like

Jag går och fiskar ("I'm going fishing" or, word by word, "I go and fish")

But in contrast to the above case, both verbs are here finite, and correspond in tense!

Edited by Calvino on 01 July 2009 at 9:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6822 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 34 of 151
01 July 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Russianbear wrote:

Я должен спросить, или он знает это.
or
Я должен спросить, если он знает это

I ve never heard such usage of или and если - this is not even Russian language, but calque from English, I guess these Russians live in English environment creating Runglish or somewhat.

In Russia, people make only type of mistake - put the wrong stress, and yes, it irritates me quite a lot.

rayos
Diglot
United States
Joined 5645 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 35 of 151
02 July 2009 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Not my native language, but sometimes Spanish people use the word "le" (indirect object) instead of "lo" (direct object). e.g.,

"Le mató" instead of "Lo mató"

I think it's accepted in Spain, but I don't know if it would be in Latin America.

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5889 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 151
02 July 2009 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Oh man, there are many.

First, what really pisses me off is when people don't use question marks after their sentences. It makes them sound quite retarded when I read it.

A big problem in the Norwegian language these days is the splitting of words, just like my fellow Scandinavian described on page 4. Not only does it sound and look silly, but it completely changes the meaning of the word/sentence in many cases.

Correct: Ananasbiter i vann (bits of pineapple in water)
Incorrect: Ananas biter i vann (pineapple bites in water)

Correct: Røykfritt (no smoking)
Incorrect: Røyk fritt (smoke freely)

Correct: Leksepult (table for studying)
Incorrect: Lekse pult (f***ed homework)

Also, in the Norwegian language, what seems to be very difficult for many is that a few very similar spellings are pronounced noticably different, namely skj- (plus sj-) and kj- (plus k-). A lot of people pronounce all of these as skj-/sj-. I think we have to give up on this though, I even overheard my grandmother making that mistake a few days ago. Oh well, languages evolve. ;p

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 37 of 151
02 July 2009 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
The contemporary misinterpretation of the calque "to beg the question" from Latin "petito principii" can annoy me especially considering that I studied some Latin in high school and was taught something about Latin expressions in English be they calques or direct borrowings.

The original "petito principii" was understood as something like "to request the starting point of a premise" and described a logical fallacy akin to circular reasoning.

An example of "begging the question" would be saying something like "I am very tired because I am exhausted." The statement should come across as strange if not illogical or meaningless since "very tired" and "exhausted" are acting as synonyms. The statement of "I am very tired" is being proven with the phrase "because I am exhausted".

Nowadays, it's common for even well-educated native speakers of English to use "it begs the question" as a synonym of "it raises the question.." or "it makes one wonder...". It seems to be driven by the unquestioned acceptance of a questionable translation and a subsequent literal understanding of this translation.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5958 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 38 of 151
02 July 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
JS-1 wrote:
It astonishes me that some people say "would of" instead of "would have".

Actually, that's one of the easiest to understand.

Most speakers rarely say either would have or would of. Mostly we say would've, 'd've or even da (Ida done it if you'd asked me). It's not a word, it's a grunt! But suddenly you're asked to speak in "full words" -- what's the brain supposed to make of it? There's no H, so it does sound more like of than have.

The cure for this one is to simply accept contractions as a legitimate part of the language, and just everyone say 'd've.

I'm fine with contractions of this ilk actually, since they still carry some vestige of the original word. Replacing the word completely, however, is a barrier to comprehension for speakers of dialects who do not share that same pronunciation of the misspelt word.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 39 of 151
02 July 2009 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Alkeides wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
The cure for this one is to simply accept contractions as a legitimate part of the language, and just everyone say 'd've.

I'm fine with contractions of this ilk actually, since they still carry some vestige of the original word. Replacing the word completely, however, is a barrier to comprehension for speakers of dialects who do not share that same pronunciation of the misspelt word.

That's my point. Because the "full" word isn't part of the everyday language, a lot of people just don't know what it is, and when asked to speak in "full words" just end up expanding the contraction.

The full words are dead -- nowadays, the contraction is the word.

Sprachbund
Octoglot
Denmark
Joined 5442 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, German, Spanish, French, Dutch
Studies: Italian, Latin, Arabic (classical), Russian

Message 40 of 151
02 July 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
More pet peeves in Swedish:

The use of the subject form "han" where "honom" would be correct. "Jag såg han" - not unusual, but can drive me nuts

The joking but erroneous use of plural past tense verb forms, that disappeared from the language in the 1940s. Typically misused in the singular: "Han sågo", "jag blevo"

Pet peeve in Danish:

The fact that so many Danes have no feel for the difference in writing between the infinitive and the present tense form, because they are homonyms in the spoken language. "Det er vigtigt at forklarer at...", and so forth

In the spoken language, the incessant repetition of "hvad hedder det" ("what is it called?") as a meaningless kind of "uuuhhhhh" to fill out pauses in one's speech flow.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version