Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 151
01 July 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Many American English idioms irritate me: "I could care less" being an obvious example.

In my youth, I could not resist correcting people. It was never well received - and often seen as a snobbish insult.

I have now accepted that despite my ambitions I cannot change idioms. The only thing I can control is my irritation - and I tried hard to do just that. Usually, alas, without success.
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6528 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 151
01 July 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I have one!! "Me & Suzie went to the movies"

The kids I teach say that ALL THE TIME! I'm forever saying "Suzie & I, Suzie & I!!".

Calvino
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
sammafllod.wordpress
Joined 5776 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 11 of 151
01 July 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
But papers have plenty of grammatical mistakes, sloppy slang spelling and anglicism.

This, I think we can chalk down to the major newspapers firing their proofreaders, which is, in turn, a consequence of falling readership numbers and the resulting economic problems.

Quote:
"Dom" instead of "de", "mej" for "mig" looks horrible!

...but aren't really mistakes at all, but perfectly acceptable alternate forms. Which have, furthermore, decreased in use since the seventies.

Personally, I am a proponent of conservatism in ortographical matters, but not for aesthetic reasons (I could hardly imagine anything more subjective than the aesthetic appeal of an ortography); it simply makes it easier to read old texts and to understand the historical development of the language, thus making a fruitful connection with the tradition easier to uphold.

Quote:
In my youth, I could not resist correcting people. It was never well received - and often seen as a snobbish insult.

I (a young person) have found a nice outlet for that urge. In my social circles there's a lot of writing going on, and I simply offer to proofread my friends' works. It gives me opportunity to legitimately criticize their language, and it gives them a nice error-free and stylistically clean text. Win-win. :)

Edited by patuco on 01 July 2009 at 3:28pm

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6196 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 12 of 151
01 July 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Every occurrence of "definately" should be punishable by death.

Edited by furyou_gaijin on 01 July 2009 at 2:10pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6082 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 14 of 151
01 July 2009 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
At what point is it just colloquial usage and at what point is it a mistake? Sometimes non-standard speech or writing from the past is more revealing and informative than the standard. For example, "mistakes" in Latin inscriptions give useful clues about Vulgar Latin, and less well educated people tend to spell phonetically. In the past, this was often the only clue to pronunciation of their language, in the days before speech recording was possible.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5648 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 15 of 151
01 July 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
It doesn't seriously irritate me, but I think it's a pity that most people no longer use the gender specific words in Swedish, when referring to some professions.
For example, for teacher "Lärare" vs "Lärarinna" and so on.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 151
01 July 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin wrote:
Every occurrence of "definately" should be punishable by death.

I couldn't agree more.

By the way, this topic was discussed a while back in a thread titled "Pet Peeves".

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version