Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 105 of 126
12 September 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
He hecho muchas cosas hoy, hice las compras de frutas y verduras, hice alguno estudio, jugué unas partidas de
ajedrez, escribí unas cartas a mi amigos, toqué unas guitarra, y pagué las cuentas (¡Malditas cuentas!). Mañana
tengo un montón de clases y una práctica de biología. Entonces en la tarde, voy a encontrarse con una amiga vieja.
Pero por ahora, tiempo para más estudio español.

¡Hasta luego!
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 106 of 126
13 September 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Otra vez, he vuelto a escribir unos sobre mi día. En primer lugar, ¿alguien se han oído el nuevo álbum por Mike
Patton se llama 'Mondo Cane'? ¡Es fenomenal! Y un álbum hay que escuchar, especialmente para estudiantes del
italiano, como todas las canciones son en Italiano. Un álbum impresionante.

También hoy, estoy cocinando unas verduras asadas, como patatas, batatas, pequeñas cebollas rojas y chalotes.
Además voy a hacer una ensalada de hojas mixtas y feta de danesa. Va a estar deliciosa. No cocino mucho, así
que (so..?) estoy muy excitado.

Things I need to work on: Still unsure about the position of adjectives in a sentence, and also the use of the
pronoun se is still very unclear to me. Just not sure when I should use it, leave it out, or when it is indeed
needed. For example, in one of the sentences above, '¿alguien se han oído el nuevo álbum por Mike Patton se
llama 'Mondo Cane'?', I was trying say 'has anyone heard the new album by Mike Patton called Mondo Cane?'. The
first se in that sentence I'm really not sure about, but my thinking was; since I'm not refering to anyone in
particular, and it's simply a general question to anyone/no one, I should use the se pronoun to 'generlise' it
so to speak. And with the second one I used it because I know the verb for 'to be called' is Llamarse. And
finally the other thing which I really need to work on is conjunctions. Need to know more Spanish conjunctions!

Speaking generally, something that I've noticed so far in my studies, atleast to my eyes, is that there seems to be
many more conjunctions in Germanic languages such as Dutch and English, in comparison to Spanish (not sure
about the other Romance languages). The reason I say this is because it seems that 'que', 'como', and 'por'
happen to fill the places of a lot of conjunctive meanings that in Dutch and especially in English would have its
own word. Of course I'm sure in Spanish you can still get the same subtle conjunctive touches across that you
can in English, but it just confuses me (especially at this early stage of mine), when one word takes the meaning
of many. And it's hard to fill those new words that you learn with a sense of meaning and weight, when some
words or 'vessels', actually take meanings and contents that would otherwise be placed into seperate vessels in
another language. The interesting things about learning other ways of thinking and communicating.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 107 of 126
19 September 2010 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Estoy en vacaciones por el momento, mi primero fin de semana ¡sin estudias! Es muy bueno descansar de vez en
cuando. Pronto, voy a ir a la panadería conseguir una hogaza de pan muy deliciosa. Entonces, voy a leer unos de mi
libro "The Old Patagonian Express", que no he tenido tiempo leer estas semanas pasadas. Vale, tiempo ir, antes de
todos los panes están ido.

Escribiré un poco más luego,
Ciao

Edited by Vos on 19 September 2010 at 9:18am

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 108 of 126
22 September 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
¡Estoy enfermo! ¡Y en mis vacaciones! Por lo menos no tengo que ir a la universidad, y en vez de tomar notas, puedo
quedarse a casa y mirar unas pelís. ¡Me siento terrible..! Ayer fui a una tierra de mojada (wetland?) a hacer un
análisis de terreno (site analysis?) para uno de mis clases. Tuve que probar el suelo y el agua de varios
emplazamientos, y también documentar la flora y fauna del zona. Había un montón de aves y en particular aves del
mar. Algunos fueron muy grande con vastos envergaduras. Muy impresionante.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 109 of 126
24 September 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Aún sentiendo un poco mal, no lo justo irse. He estado bebiendo muchos tazos de té y comiendo sólo comidas
secas, pero no ha ayudado mucho, o eso es, eso solo no me ha curado completamente. Estoy seguro que estaría
sentiendo mucho peor ahora mismo si no habría bebido tanto durante los días pasados. He hecho una cantidad
bien de castellano hoy, y tengo casi terminado 'Colloquial Spanish of Spain', y recogí el libro siguiente, 'Colloquial
Spanish of Spain 2' de la biblioteca la semana pasada. Entonces lo estaría empezando pronto.

Espero que mañana me siento mucho mejor.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 110 of 126
01 October 2010 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Ik heb voor een heel lange tijd niks geschreven in het Nederlands, en vandaag voor sommige reden heb ik een
beetje zin in iets te schrijven. Het komt nog niet te slecht uit! (leuk te weten!) Ik heb ongeveer twee maanden
geleden beslist, die ik zal niet meer het Nederlands echt studeren, tot ik in Nederland kom. Want hier in
Australië, met de uitzondering van thuis, waar mijn moeder, oma en opa allemaal wonen, kan ik de taal niet
gebruiken. En omdat ik nu erg druk ben met universiteit, heb ik de tijd niet meer om elke dag een uur of twee te
doen. Daarom, zal ik wachten tot ik zeker ben dat ik ga echt naar Nederland. Dan zal ik wel weer een heleboel
doen. Maar ondertussen, zal ik misschien in beetje hier of daar doen als ik het voel, maar niet één of twee uur
per dag als ik vroeger heb gedaan. Ik hou heel veel van de taal, en het is jammer die het zo moeilijk is om
iemand te vinden die spreekt het Nederlands hier in Australië, maar ik verheug me op als ik in Nederland kom, en
waarin voor een jaar, twee, of misschien meer, ga ik wonen. Het heeft een droom van mij voor een onzettend
lange tijd geweest. Tot dan.

So I thought it might be a good idea just to lay out in writing where I am at this point of the year in regards to
my language studies. As I've written above, I decided about 2 months ago now to stop studying Dutch, atleast in
a daily regimented sense, until I actually come to the Netherlands. As it's too difficult to stay motivated here in
Australia when you know noone who speaks the language and you don't have anyone with who you can use the
language in a natural communicative way. Also because of uni, and that new added work load, I just simply don't
have the time anymore. So unfortunately, it's basically come down to the fact that I can't use the language in a
socially/communicatively enjoyable way, and my new uni load is really sucking the time out of me. But I still love
the language, and can not wait until I come to The Netherlands to spend a year or so exploring the country and
soaking in the culture, the people and its spirit.

As for Spanish, it's become my language 'insert that French phase meaning no 1 here' (It's somewhere in mind
swimming around, help me out if you know?). So I've been doing atleast an hour daily, including anki, listening to
radio and watching Spanish television, and completing the colloquial books (up to chapter 14 of book 1 now and
have book 2 in the midst). The main reason why Spanish has taken over as my main focus, is basically because I
can use it on a natural weekly if not daily basis. There's a few musicians and bands who I really enjoy which are
from Spanish speaking countries, I love Spanish & Latin American film, and next year sometime I'll be returning
to South America. So plenty of reasons and constant motivations keeping me focused on this one.

I've learned a lot in this short amount of time in regards to learning languages, and now I can see much better
than at the start of the year, how much of a commitment and how much work actually goes in to becoming fluent
in a language. So hats off to all you people out there who have actually achieved a good level of fluency through
self study, well done!!

I really do enjoy having this language bug though, and I really can see this as being something which is going to
stick with me for life. I'm already dying to learn German and Polish (already gathering materials to, I can't help
it!), and even during class when we learn a new botanical species name, I get excited about the derivatives and
what they mean in Ancient Greek or Latin. So the passion is strong, but time and the opportunity to use them is
ultimately the make or break factor (as I have learned). Answer? Move to Europe!! Only a few more years until I'm
there.

Thank the world for language and its diversity,
Vos

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 111 of 126
02 October 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Zo vandaag heb ik een Nederlander op de markt gevonden, typisch! En hij was erg verrukt (hoe zeg je 'excited' in
het Nederlands? Kan je gebruik spannend?) om zijn moedertaal eens weer te gebruiken, want hij heeft geen andere
Nederlander voor minstens drie maanden gevonden. Toeval? Ik denk niet. Het was een heel mooi gevoel om in het
Nederlands weer te praten, en ik heb onmiddellijk gedacht die het een teken was, die zegt, 'Vergeet het Nederlands
niet! Het is binnen je bloed, en als je het zou verwaarlozen, zou jou alleen zichzelf verwaarlozen'. Misschien niet zo
dramatisch, maar je snapt het punt. Eigenlijk heb ik een erg oude 'Douwe Egberts' zak die mijn moeder heeft van
Nederland meegebracht toen zij naar Australië verhuist was, en ik gebruik het elke weekend als ik naar de markt ga.
En vandaag als ik keek naar alle de groenten en vruchten, heeft die vent mijn zak gezien (het heeft een zin in grote
letters die zegt 'Douwe Egberts - wij verzorgen uw boodshcappen zonder verhooging van prijs'), en ja, dan wij
hebben begonnen een beetje te praten.

Een leuk verbazing.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 112 of 126
10 October 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
He hecho tanto estudio hoy. He preparado una presentación que tengo que hacer el lunes para una de mis clases, y
también acabo de terminar una tarea muy grande sobre las montañas de Australia y sus zonas alpinas. Estoy
contento que están terminado. Ahora voy a hacer mi lista de Anki, y también intentar a terminar capítulo catorce de
mi libro de español, antes de me voy a la cama.

¡Hasta luego!

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version