Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5364 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 33 of 126
05 February 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
That's why learning one language is much better in my opinion, you don't have to sweitch your mind from one language to another, and then when you reach the advanced level, you can be safe to learn another language at the same time.
Ofcourse some people can learn more than one language at the same time easily, but it seems you are not one of them.
Also, don't rush things, 30 or 60 miutes a day for one language can keep you in the track and will advance you too.
But if you insist on learning more than one language at the same time then your approach of splitting the week rather than the day is very good idea.
Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 34 of 126
06 February 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Ik heb net nu van de markt thuisgekomen, ik heb aardbeien, bananen, vijgen, paddestoelen en lekkere Gouda
kaas gekocht. En weet je wie ik heb bij de markt kennisgemaakt? Een echt aardige Nederlandse meisje! Het was
een heel fijne verbazing. Zij komt uit Amsterdam, en zij gaat in Australië rondreizen. Maar eerst moet zij wat
geld sparen, zoals Australië kan iets duur zijn. Het was mijn eerste keer dat ik met een Nederlander in het
Nederlands (met uitzondering van mijn gezin) gesproken heb.

In English: I just got back from the markets, I bought some strawberry's, bananas, figs, mushrooms and
delicious Gouda cheese. And guess who i met at the markets? A really lovely Dutch girl. It was a very nice
surprise. She's from Amsterdam, and she's going to travel around Australia. But first she has to save a bit of
money, as Australia can be a little expensive. It was my first time speaking with a Ducth person in Dutch. (with
the exception fo my family).

Kinan: Thanks for your thoughts. To be honest I don't think i've really given myself a proper chance yet at
learning both languages, so hopefully with this new approach, it will make things a lot more conducive to
learning, and give me the sense that i'm progressing in both simultaneously. Also yesterday was just a really
good day for me, not particularly rushing through things, just happened to really be enjoying what i was doing
(love those days!). Normally i do around 1 to 2 hours which is spread out throughout the day. Good luck with
your languages and I hope you have a very succesful year!

Ciao

Edited by Vos on 06 February 2010 at 1:49pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 35 of 126
10 February 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Ik heb vandaag mijn dagelijk Nederlands studie en oefeningen gedaan, en heb ik ook twee van mijn Universitiet
taken afgemaken. Ook heb ik Spaans voor ongeveer twee uur gisteren gestudeerd.

Today i did my daily Dutch studies and excercises, and i also managed to finish off two of my uni assignments,
which i'm very releaved about. Also studied Spanish for roughly two hours yesterday.

Also for fellow Dutch learners out there, found a wonderful site the other day which has definitely become one of
my favourites. It's a 'word of the day ' site, with each word having many examples in different contexts, it has
audio clips of each word being pronounced, every word of the day posted has a 'related words' section for
synonyms and closely related words, and everything typed in Dutch is translated into English. Basically just a
wonderfully informative kickarse site.

You can find it here: Dutch word of the day

Edited by Vos on 10 February 2010 at 3:36pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 126
10 February 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:

You can find it here: Dutch word of the day

Ik heb me de link bekeken en ik vind "Dutch Word of the Day" een zeer nuttige website om de Nederlandse woordenschat uittebreiden. Dit kan ik aan alle mensen aanbevelen die Nederlands leren.

Fasulye

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 37 of 126
11 February 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Ik ben blij dat je hebt het nuttig gevonden Fasulye. Het maakt me gelukkig die mensen maken deze soorten
dingen. Het is heel behulpzaam voor onze buitenlanders wie de taal studeren.

Today was a mainly Spanish day. I did some exercises and readings from colloquial Spanish, added some cards
to Anki (and reviewed), and have listened to (and still listening to) much Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra's "Don
Quijote". If only i could understand it! haha.. Listening to the voices, expressions and rhythms are interesing and
rewarding enough. For now atleast..

I find with the grammar and reading comprehension of Spanish, atleast in these very early days, somewhat
simpler and clearer to understand than with Dutch. I never felt things making sense this early on when i was
beginning with Dutch. Perhaps it's the subtle effect of becoming better at studying languages taking effect, or
that the people who created the 'colloquial Spanish' book just know how to word and explain things in an easy
to understand way. Or that Spanish is an easier language to learn during the start. Who knows. I definitely do
hope that it continues on like this though.

Till next time, tot de volgende keer,   '                       '   (insert Spanish translation) Something to look up i guess :)

Take care,
Vos

Edited by Vos on 11 February 2010 at 11:19am

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 38 of 126
13 February 2010 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Ik heb eindelijk die brief naar mijn oma geschreefd.. Fantastisch. Ik gaat het op maandag posten. Het is zaterdag
eens weer, de wolken zijn uit, het is donker, en op de lucht liggen en zachte kau. Ik hou van deze dagen. Ik heb
mijn kopje groene thee, een schaal met müsli, ik lig in mijn warme bed, en het begint nu regen. Het raam in
mijn slaapkamer kijkt boven de geheele buurt. Ik kan alle van de daken zien, en boven alle de bomen toppen..
Het is wat mooi.

In English: I finally got around to writting that letter to my oma... Fantastic. I'm going to mail it on monday. It's
saturday once again, the clouds are out, it is dark, and there is a soft chill in the air. I love these days. I have my
cup of green tea, a bowl of muesli, I'm lieing in my warm bed, and it's beginning to rain. The window in my
bedroom looks over the entire neighbourhood. I can see all the rooftops, and above all the trees.. It's quite
lovely.

Quick question. What are some Dutch words for 'contemplative' and 'reflective'? I couldn't seem to find any in
my dictionary that worked.

So since i've been greeted this morning by this wonderful indoors-ie weather, i'm going to have a killer day of
Spanish and Dutch studies, read some of my book (The Luzhin Defense by Nabokov. Amazing book, such an
incredibly articulate and vivd writer. It reads as though the process of writting it was as natural and as effortless
as breathing.), and perhaps do a bit of cooking. And what's even better, is that today i'm not going to worry
about a single thing to do with Uni. I had a music theory exam yesterday that definitely drained some power out
of me, and now that i've also finished two assignments for some other classes, meaning that i'm definitely on
the downward road now, i think i can safely go a day without worrying about it. And now, for some more tea...

Hope everyone's having a great day out there.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 39 of 126
15 February 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Afternoon everyone. Today I had a quite nice day of study down at the local city library, did a few hours of
colloquial Dutch, some revision from past lessons, and listened to de wereld omroep. I'm still finding it difficult
to understand a big portion of the spoken language, of course acquiring this takes a long time, but i think i
definitely need to focus on this a lot more.. yet, not too sure what the best method for gaining this would be.

I've been watching more news and random video's in Dutch, and also started watching 'van Jonge Leu en Oale
Groond', which is a series from the Overijssel province where my family is from. My Oma gave me these a couple
of weeks ago so it's about time i give them a watch. It's actually quite interesting to see the differences in the
dialects. Been trying to hunt down some Dutch films the last few days also, with a bit of success, but finding it
quite hard to find some good music from Nederland. Is it out there? It has to be! There must be Some good
bands doing great and interesting things over there. But so far they've elluded me. (suggestions anyone?)

Spanish is going steadily also, been designating time, so just going to keep it slow but steady. The idea of going
completely Spanish and Dutch, i.e. music, reading, news etc. has become quite appealing to me. So just need to
find some good Spanish music, which I don't think will be too difficult at all (again, certainly open to
suggestions:)), and then will slowly cut out the English speaking world.

Hasta luego

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5439 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 40 of 126
15 February 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:

Been trying to hunt down some Dutch films the last few days also, with a bit of success, but finding it
quite hard to find some good music from Nederland. Is it out there? It has to be! There must be Some good
bands doing great and interesting things over there. But so far they've elluded me. (suggestions anyone?)

I don't know what your taste in music is like but I'll give you a few suggestions (they're all on youtube):

Doe Maar - ska
Het Goede Doel - soft rock
Luie Hond - ska/reggae
Bløf - soft rock
Dio - rap (there's an American rock artist with the same name so also youtube 'tijdmachine', one of his songs)
De Dijk - soft rock

For the lulz you can put 'Broodje Bakpao' into youtube. It's...interesting. Yes Dutch language music isn't the best. The good people end up singing in English with the hopes of becoming internationally successful.

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version