Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 25 of 126
23 January 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Once again, thank you very much Elvisrules. Your posts are always extremelly helpful and i really appreciate you
taking the time to help me out. Veel bedankt. Hoe gaat het met jouw taal studeren?

I've had to somewhat slow down my pace the last few days as Uni assignments are exerting their weight, but still
been doing an hour or two daily. In 3 weeks or so i can return to my usual pace, and in 5 weeks from now i'll
have 2 weeks off. So really looking forward to that.

I've finished unit 1 of Colloquial Spanish in the last few days, added 20 or so words with examples to Anki, and
as an excuse for study watched El Laberinto Del Fauno in all it's pervasive glowing incredibleness for the
however manieth time.. Since Spanish is my second language acquisition attempt, it's nice to have been able to
learn from my previous 3 months of Dutch, and to not be repeating the same mistakes in approach. So i think
this is going to be a much smoother and far less cloudy experience. Also just discovered, thanks to Sprachjunge
and joanthemaid, the world of LingQ. So definitely going to be imploying that in to the Spanish regime.

Also my plan for Nederlands study tomorrow is to write a letter to my Oma in het Nederlands! I've never written
a letter to her in all my life, since she's only ever lived half an hour away. But now that i'm in Melbourne, it's a
much different story and i hardly ever get a chance to see her. So i hope she'll be pleasantly surprised.

Aju allemaal.. Welterusten..
1 person has voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5439 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 26 of 126
23 January 2010 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:

Also my plan for Nederlands study tomorrow is to write a letter to my Oma in het Nederlands! I've never written
a letter to her in all my life, since she's only ever lived half an hour away. But now that i'm in Melbourne, it's a
much different story and i hardly ever get a chance to see her. So i hope she'll be pleasantly surprised.

That's a great idea, I'm sure she'll love it! Dutch people seem to be highly appreciative of the efforts of English speaking folk.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 27 of 126
27 January 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Ik heb over de volgende week niet een heleboel van Nederlands studeer gedaan. Ik heb te veel taken en
thuiswerk van Uni moeten doen. Maar ik doe wat ik kan. Ik verheugen me op de twee week vakantie bij de einde
van februari.. Het zal zo leuk zijn!! Ik zal niks maar lezen, schrijven, muziek spelen, fiets rijden en lekere
eten maken doen ...en misschien, als het goed weer is, naar het strand ga.

I don't think i'll be writting anything in Spanish any time soon also, as i'm taking it slow with this one, and Dutch
has my priority for the time being. But hopefully i'll be able to construct a few sentences sometime soon, and
give a big ¡Hola! to all the Spanish speaking and learning folk who wander through these parts.
Also i can see myself in the somewhat near future visiting a Spanish speaking country again, in which case it will
be nothing but Spanish whilst i'm there, and then i can completely and unboundedly delve in to it's warm waters.
Which will be ever most lovely..

So today: I've added some new Dutch words with examples into Anki, and also revised around 30 words
                    Did roughly an hour and a half of revision via Colloquial Dutch
                    listen ed to a chapter of "Onder Moeders Vleugels" and some "SBS Nederlandse Radio"
                    and lastly read a few pages whilst on the train from "Het Achterhuis"

Will try and add some more of the unknown words from Het Achterhuis later tonight, and then if i hopefully have
time, will do a bit of Spanish.

Hasta luego

Edited by Vos on 27 January 2010 at 8:52am

Mieke
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5245 days ago

21 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, Russian
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 28 of 126
27 January 2010 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Als je het niet erg vindt, geef ik je een paar verbeteringen:

Ik heb de afgelopen week niet veel Nederlands gestudeerd. Ik heb te veel taken en huiswerk voor de universiteit (de unief) moeten maken. Maar ik doe wat ik kan. Ik verheug me op de twee weken vakantie eind februari... Het zal zo leuk zijn!!! Ik zal alleen maar lezen, schrijven, muziek spelen, fietstochtjes maken, lekker koken (lekker eten maken)... en misschien, als het goed (mooi) weer is, naar het strand gaan.

For the futur tense you can also use the verb gaan + infinitief. For example: Het gaat zo leuk zijn.

Have you written that letter to your grandmother? I'm sure she would love it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 29 of 126
02 February 2010 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Mieke wrote:
Als je het niet erg vindt, geef ik je een paar verbeteringen:

Ik heb de afgelopen week niet veel Nederlands gestudeerd. Ik heb te veel taken en huiswerk voor de universiteit (de
unief) moeten maken. Maar ik doe wat ik kan. Ik verheug me op de twee weken vakantie eind februari... Het zal zo
leuk zijn!!! Ik zal alleen maar lezen, schrijven, muziek spelen, fietstochtjes maken, lekker koken (lekker eten
maken)... en misschien, als het goed (mooi) weer is, naar het strand gaan.

For the futur tense you can also use the verb gaan + infinitief. For example: Het gaat zo leuk zijn.

Have you written that letter to your grandmother? I'm sure she would love it.

Dank u wel Mieke, het is veel waardeerde. (Kan ik dat in Nederlands als in Engels zeg?) Helaas heb ik een briefje nog
niet geschreefd, maar zodra ik tijd heb, gaat ik het doen. (hoopvollijk vandaag!)

Ik heb een paar dagen in het Nederlands niet geschreefd, en nu voel ik een beetje verroest. Gisterochtend heb ik mijn
vriend van Nijmegen van het vliegveld opgehaald. Het was zo leuk om haar weer te zien!! Zij gaat een semester van
universiteit hier doen. Zij is ook hier met twee andere meisjes van haar unief (ook erg aardig), en ze zullen op de
zelfde ziekenhuis werken. Het was heel mooi om hun stemmen te gehoord. Zij maken het Nederlands prachtig
klinken.

I haven't written in Dutch for a few days now, and now i feel a bit rusty. Yesterday morning i picked my friend from
Nijmegen up from the airport. It was so nice to see her again! She's doing a semester of university here in Australia.
She's also here with two other girls from her uni (also very nice), and they're going to be working at the same hospital
together. It was really lovely to hear their voices. They make Dutch sound beautiful.

So far today: Entered 10 more words with examples into Anki, did a hour or so of reading, and took quite a bit of
time to write those few sentences which are above. I feel my vocabulary and reading is improving, but the way i'm
constructing sentences is still rather cloudy/haphazardly and with little certainty. I think i'm fine with expressing very
basic things in the written form, but when i try to add in more details, or try to express slightly more complex things,
i'm just not sure on how it should be written/said, and what Dutch foundation words (or 'binding' words as i
sometimes visualise them), for example, 'bij' 'aan' 'te' 'om' 'nog' 'op' 'wel' 'toch' 'eens' etc should be used.

So much still to learn, so much to look forward to.

Een beetje meer ietwat later..

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5267 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 30 of 126
02 February 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Graag gedaan Vos.
Hoewel ik al vloeiend Nederlands kan, blijft er nog heel veel te leren... Daarom vind ik het Nederlands soms vervelend en lastig. Hopelijk ga ik wat motivatie terugvinden want ik zou écht een gevorderde vloeiendheid willen bereiken.

Sommige correcties:
niet 'waardeerde' maar 'gewaardeerd' of 'geapprecieerd"
niet 'geschreefd' maar 'geschreven'
'de zelfde' -> 'dezelfde'
het ziekenhuis, so -> 'hetzelfde ziekenhuis'
om ... te gehoord -> om ... te horen

Ik vind het heerlijk dat ge regelmatig schrijft. Dat gaat u heel veel helpen denk ik.
Ik was(ben) altijd te lui geweest om veel te schrijven, en nu is dat echt iets waarmee ik een gebrek aan vaardigheden heb... :(

Edited by elvisrules on 02 February 2010 at 3:32am

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 31 of 126
03 February 2010 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
I need to rethink my Language learning approach. Trying to study two languages per day doesn't seem to work
well for me, and thus my Spanish is basically non existent. I think i'm going to have to set days aside for specific
languages like others have done on this forum. Will figure it all out sometime this weekend.

Some good news though, i went to a learn Dutch website today
Taalthuis which i found
about 2 months ago now, and at that time i found that i didn't know a lot of the answers in their practice tests
which they have on their site. And today i quickly went through them all without any problem. To be perfectly
honest they're not very difficult tests, but it was just exciting to be able to actually see the progress i've made
since i've started.

Also found some wonderful new sites for people learning Dutch which have some really great excercises
focusing on gramma and the use of words etc, and they also have quite a large collection of Dutch videos which
have English and Dutch subtitles, which i've been trying to find for awhile now, so now i'm able to read along and
listen, whilst having that visual aspect also, fantastisch! Just the thing i've been looking for, as i've become quite
bored with using the same old colloquial Dutch book, although it has been quite useful.

Those sites for anyone who is interested are: Taalblad
                                                              2bDutch

Also i found this short video from what i'm assuming is a Dutch tv series called "Werelds", where they look at the
lives and experiences of different people from various countries around the world, who have moved to Nederland
and now call it home. Here's a short video from one of the episodes, quite interesting:      
We
relds

Mijn vriend wie is hier van Nijmegen heeft mij stroopwafels gebracht, wat lekker zijn ze!! Ik gaat droevig zijn als
ze allemaal weg worden. Ik zou graag op het momentje wat kroketten eten, of misschien wat frikandellen
speciaal... Hoe ik verlangen voor Nederlands eten. Oké ik moet nu eten hebben.. Aju!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 32 of 126
05 February 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
So as i mentioned last time, my Spanish is suffering due to my inexperience in studying languages and how to
approach them. But I'm atleast learning by trial and error, and can safely say that at this point in time, trying to
fit in two languages a day, for me, just doesn't feel right. My mind takes time to move on to a different subject
and different mood, and as i become overtly interested in things and can't break away from something until i've
had a sufficient intake, two languages, in small doses daily, just doesn't alleviate the inherent hunger.

The proposal. I'm going to try, like how others have approached mulitple language studies, by assigning certain
languages for certain days. Both Dutch and Spanish will have 3 days each per week, and Sundays will be my
'what ever i'm feeling like' day.

So we'll say Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are for Dutch. And Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays Spanish. I
hope this works!

I really do love Spanish and want to become fluent in it, it's just that in the back of mind i feel that if i just
studied Dutch i'd get a lot better sooner. But if I continue with that train of thought, then i probably wouldn't
begin studying Spanish for another year atleast, and that's just not on. So I definitely must remember that and
keep that in mind.

Today's work:
- Started a new Anki deck "Nederlandse Zelfstandige Naamwoorden" - "Dutch Nouns". Added around 30 cards,
and also added 10 cards into my existing Dutch deck.
- Finished 2 units in Colloquial Dutch.
- Read a few pages of "Het Achterhuis".
- Watched some Dutch videos.
- Reviewed Anki cards (40 or so).

Tot de volgende keer..

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version