Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5245 days ago

21 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, Russian
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 49 of 126
14 March 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you're still going strong with your Dutch, Vos! You're doing great.

If you don't mind, though, I do have some small remarks on your last writings. I rewrote your entry the way a native speaker would have (more or less) written it. I hope you find this useful.

Ik ben de hele week ziek geweest, en had geen internet! Het was zwaar (/moeilijk). Gelukkig had ik veel boeken om te lezen. En mijn vriend had erg lekker eten gemaakt (erwtensoep!). Daarnaast heb ik ook (best) veel Nederlands gestudeerd. Morgen ga ik terug naar de universiteit maar het is (al) mijn laatste semester! Ik denk dat ik dus op het einde van juni afgestudeerd zal zijn (/zal afstuderen). Ik denk daar graag over na...

Some explanations:
- "Gelukkig had ik veel boeken te lezen" means you had the obligation to read many books, you had a stack of books and had to finish reading them all.
By adding "om", you're saying you have a stack of books, all of which you could read but you don't have to if you don't feel like reading.

- "(best) veel Nederlands": Nederlands is a noun you can't count. You can't say "twee Nederlandsen" so "een goede hoeveelheid Nederlands" of "een aantal Nederlands" is incorrect. Those words always demand a plural form of the noun. Best thing to do, is to say you studied "veel Nederlands" of "best veel Nederlands" (quite a lot of).

I hope you're feeling well again! If not: veel beterschap!

3 persons have voted this message useful

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5267 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 50 of 126
14 March 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Mieke: bedankt voor uw verbetering van mijn fout. Ik had u een paar maanden geleden een berichtje gestuurd over een eventueel Skype uitwisseling, hebt ge het wel ontvangen?
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 51 of 126
15 March 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Mieke wrote:
Nice to see you're still going strong with your Dutch, Vos! You're doing great.

If you don't mind, though, I do have some small remarks on your last writings. I rewrote your entry the way a
native speaker would have (more or less) written it. I hope you find this useful.

Ik ben de hele week ziek geweest, en had geen internet! Het was zwaar (/moeilijk). Gelukkig had ik veel boeken
om te lezen. En mijn vriend had erg lekker eten gemaakt (erwtensoep!). Daarnaast heb ik ook (best) veel
Nederlands gestudeerd. Morgen ga ik terug naar de universiteit maar het is (al) mijn laatste semester! Ik denk
dat ik dus op het einde van juni afgestudeerd zal zijn (/zal afstuderen). Ik denk daar graag over na...

Some explanations:
- "Gelukkig had ik veel boeken te lezen" means you had the obligation to read many books, you had a stack of
books and had to finish reading them all.
By adding "om", you're saying you have a stack of books, all of which you could read but you don't have to if you
don't feel like reading.

- "(best) veel Nederlands": Nederlands is a noun you can't count. You can't say "twee Nederlandsen" so "een
goede hoeveelheid Nederlands" of "een aantal Nederlands" is incorrect. Those words always demand a plural
form of the noun. Best thing to do, is to say you studied "veel Nederlands" of "best veel Nederlands" (quite a lot
of).

I hope you're feeling well again! If not: veel beterschap!

Hee Mieke, leuk om je weer te zien! Hartelijk bedankt voor uw correcties en toelichtingen. Het is altijd erg
behulpzaam. En bedankt ook voor de vriendelijke woorden. Hoe gaat alles met jouwe taal studeren?

elvisrules wrote:
Lol I'm glad you appreciate my often adding of a Flemish word or two, I though I was just
shamelessly promoting the spoken language of where I live! I'll try to do it more now! :P

Hahah the more variaties and variations of Dutch i'm exposed to the better, so go crazy. En als ik heb gezegd,
jullie spreken het Nederlands zo mooi! Ik vind de zachte 'G' en de rollende 'R' prachtig.

Vandaag was het mijn eerste dag terug naar universiteit. Ze hebben mij mijn unief (timetable?) gegeven, en dit
semester krijg ik vier dag weekends! Het was een heel aangenaam verrassing. Na heb ik naar de bibliotheek
gegaan als gewoon, om sommige boeken terug te brengen. Dan heb ik uiteindelijk naar thuis gerijdt.
De zonsondergang van vandaag was bijzonder luisterrijk. Er waren oranje zonnestralen overal waar je kunt zien,
en de wolken lijkt zo zacht, en echter vast zoals ijzer. Ze schenen zoals vuur...

Ik probeer zelf een zet te geef, zo ik zal nieuwe woorden begin gebruiken. Maar voor vandaag, volgens mij heb
ik genoeg geschrijft.

Tot de volgende keer

Mieke
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5245 days ago

21 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, Russian
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 52 of 126
18 March 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
timetable = lessenrooster
gerijdt = (ben) gereden
geschrijft = geschreven
luisterrijk is very high in style, an alternative would be prachtig or ontzettend mooi.

What do you mean by "Ik probeer zelf een zet te geven"?

I'm still playing with Spanish and German, not really studying actively but trying to pick up things while enjoying the language. I realized I wanted to start a language from scratch again, so I began studying Hebrew 3 weeks ago. I like the feeling I get when a sentence I learned just randomly pops into my head during the day (Lod is a beautiful and modern airport :-).

Groetjes en nog veel succes!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 53 of 126
21 March 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
Bedankt voor de woorden en correcties Mieke.

Lessonrooster! Ik had vandaag alweer die woord nodig hebben. Met "Ik probeer zelf een zet te geven" I was
trying to say, 'I'm trying to give myself a push'. Seems it didn't turn out to well, haha.. Better to try and fail than
never attempt something I guess.

Yes it's quite a great feeling when you notice yourself becoming familiar with a new language.. familiar with that
new perspective. I definitely am looking forward to when i'll be able to use and experience them without too
much thought and effort though. But I've realised recently that I'm a 'journey' person so to speak. In it for the
trials, travels and revelations rather than the final concluding moment. Luckily however there are too many
languages and other things to attempt to master, or even just experience in this life time. So i'll have plenty of
linguistic, creative, and enriching paths on which to walk and challenge myself on, for as far as my mind can see.

Maar veel succes met jouw Hebreeuws studeren Mieke!

As for the languages, things are going well. Spanish has been continuing on a regular basis, and i'm slowly
establishing what feels to be a sturdy foundation, which is exciting to say the least. And for the however manieth
time i've said this.. Such a beautiful invigorating language! I'm still taking things slow, as not to let my Dutch
suffer. But as things go on i'm startng to manage my time better, and also retain and learn Dutch better. So i'm
slowly coming towards that place of balance where I can study both without effecting either one. So things are
looking alive and well for both Spanish and Dutch.

So for Dutch today I started writing another letter to my Oma, and listened to some Louisa May Alcott. I always
love going back to an audio book and picking up on new words and understanding sentence structures better..
today was a good day for my listening comprehension. Also yesterday I somehow got talking briefly to a Dutch
fellow in a store who had no accent what so ever and has been living in Australia for 50 years. He was also a
language lover and is currently studying Mandarin. When he asked me what languages I was learning, and I
answered Dutch, his immediate response was of course "waarom Nederlands?". He didn't mean it in a why would
you study Dutch kind of way, I think most Nederlanders, atleast all the ones i've encountered, are always
surprised and interested in why you are studying their language. It's a very endearing reaction to behold.

Wel nu, helaas, moet ik wat slaap krijgen. Gelukkig is het een beetje koud vanavond, dus misschien zal ik een
goede slaap hebben.

Welterusten iedereen,
Vos

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5439 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 54 of 126
22 March 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:

As for the languages, things are going well. Spanish has been continuing on a regular basis, and i'm slowly
establishing what feels to be a sturdy foundation, which is exciting to say the least. And for the however manieth
time i've said this.. Such a beautiful invigorating language! I'm still taking things slow, as not to let my Dutch
suffer. But as things go on i'm startng to manage my time better, and also retain and learn Dutch better. So i'm
slowly coming towards that place of balance where I can study both without effecting either one. So things are
looking alive and well for both Spanish and Dutch

It's encouraging that you're finding a balance with your two languages because I'm also going very slowly with my L3 so as not to affect my Dutch. It's great that you can get something back from your Dutch studies by writing to your Oma :D Veel succes met jou studie verder!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 55 of 126
27 March 2010 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Hallo mijn goede volken,

Vandaagochtend heb ik naar een markt in de Victoriaansebergen (als je zij kan die noemen) gegaan. Het was
vandaag de markt z'n achtendertig verjaardag, en alle de mensen van die kleine stad en de omringende dorpen
hebben daar komen bezochten, om alle de eten, kunst, en belangrijkste de sfeer te genieten. Het was een heel
mooie dag. Ik heb een nieuwe buikriem gekocht die erg goedkoop was, echt leuk leer ook. Wat kruidplanten en
een paar groenten gehaald, en dan heb ik een Poffertjes stalletje gezien. Dus natuurlijk moest ik wat kopen! Ik
heb ze niet gehad sinds ik een klein kind was. Ze waren heerlijk! Met boter, suiker en een beetje linde sap. De
laatste ding die ik had ooit verwacht om te vinden. Ik wilde de mensen vraagen of ze Nederlanders waren, maar
ze waren erg druk.

Nu gaat ik wat lekker avondeten maken,
Aju allemaal!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 56 of 126
27 March 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Forgot to mention, did some Spanish yesterday, and plan on doing some more tonight after dinner. And thanks to
Quabazaa and this fantastic thread that he's created..
here
I've discovered the sheer unrestrained beauty which is Mercedes Sosa. What a voice.. and more so the power and
conviction which she manages to convey through it. Really moving stuff.

Have a listen: Mercedes Sosa - Gracias a la vida

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version