Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 89 of 195
02 July 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Well, I guess, "Я буду пить и не могу тебе ответить", in the sense, "I will be
drinking, and I can't answer your call", doesn't sound too bad, although it does sound
a bit odd in both languages. If you mean that I can't answer because I want to get
going with my drinking, you could say "Я собираюсь выпить и поэтому не могу тебе сейчас
отвтетить", but this is a bit too far from the original sentence. The heaviest drinking
would be "напиться", to get drunk. (It can also mean to drink enough water not to feel
thirsty any more, so it is not always about alcohol.) You can also say, "Я собираюсь
пить и поэтому не могу тебе сейчас отвтетить". It may actually imply somewhat bigger
drinking plans than the earlier identical sentence with выпить, due to пить not being
perfective, I suppose, unlike выпить. There is no end to variations. :)

The reason I wrote that was because I was trying to find a suitable translation for the
original line, which was: "And I cannot text you with a drink in my hand, yeah." I
thought that I could rewrite that to something like "I can't call you because I'm
drinking" and let the audience draw their own conclusions as to why drinking would
prevent that. :P

Quote:
Yes, it sounds ok. "Я хотела куда-нибудь пойти" sounds OK too. Let me give a
couple of more sentences. "Давай сегодня вечером куда-нибудь пойдём" sounds just a
shade more natural to me than "Давай сегодня вечером куда-нибудь выйдем", but either
one can be used, I think. Пойти is to go to some destination, выйти is to exit the
place you are in now. So, when you want to go some place and have fun, the former is a
slightly more natural-sounding choice. If you are eager to get out, perhaps "выйдем"
reflects that slightly better. However, it's not a very hard and fast distinction as
far going out to have fun. For example, "Пойдём погуляем" and "давай выйдем погулять"
sound equivalent to me. If you want to go see a movie, you'd say "Пойдём в кино", while
"Давай выйдем в кино" sounds odd. I am not entirely sure about "давай выйдем погулять"
versus "давай выйдем погуляем". I would probably say it the 2nd way myself in speech,
but both may be OK. If you grammar book tells you which one is the preferred form here,
use that one.

I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll go with "Я хотела куда-нибудь пойти".

Quote:
"Ты мне звонишь хоть я и занята" is the right translation, or ,"Ты мне звонишь
не смотря на то, что я занята". "однако" doesn't quite work here. Its meaning is closer
to "however". It can be made to work even here, I guess, but I'd have to figure out
how. Something like "Я занята, а он мне однако звонит", but you can drop "однако" in
this sentence since it duplicates the role of the conjunction "а", and it would be a
rather colloquial way of saying it with both of them present. I know I recommended
"однако" yesterday, but I wasn't quite sure then what you wanted to say.

Okay, I think I understand. I didn't know the word "однако" before so now I'll know how
to use it.
I think I'll go with "Ты мне звонишь не смотря на то, что я занята" since it fits the
song's rhythm better.

I still have yet to translate the other verses. ;-; This song in particular was harder
to translate than the other I had in mind; not sure why I picked this one.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 90 of 195
03 July 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
I was trying to find a suitable translation for the
original line, which was: "And I cannot text you with a drink in my hand, yeah."

Huh, I actually don't know how they say "to text" in Russian. "... with a drink in my hand" can be translated as "... c бокалом в руке" or "... со стаканом в руке", depending on the type of the drink container - these are not the only two possibilities.

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll go with "Я хотела куда-нибудь пойти".

In the present tense you'd say, of course, "Я хочу куда-нибудь пойти", or you can use the subjunctive, "Я хотела бы куда-нибудь пойти". It's like using "I would like to" instead of "I want to".

Quote:
I didn't know the word "однако" before so now I'll know how to use it.

From my quick run-in with that word here, I suspect that its usage can be confusing at times. Take note of how it is used as you meet it in your reading and listening materials.

Quote:
Je voudrais dire qu'il y a des temps quand j'ai les cafards et je pense que je jamais pourrai apprendre quelque langue et que je devrais me rendre. Il est difficile parce que je ne peux pas voir le fin du chemin clairement et faire les choses comme apprendre les languages seul, cela a besoin de beaucoup de dedication. Pour une personne jeune qui a jamais fait quelque chose comme ça, il le semble que c'est un but impossible. J'ai beaucoup du respect pour les gens qui avaient apprendu les langues seuls.

Como del francés no sé ni papa, voy a intentar el discurso en español, por mucho que éste se me haya ido dirritiendo en los últimos años.

La verdad es que este camino no tiene fin, pero tampoco es un círculo. A fin de cuentas, se exige el desarollo del sentido del idioma, o sea la capacidad de entenderlo y la de expresarse en él de un modo automático. Como no has acabado todavía el curso básico del ruso, tienes muy pocas razones para sentirte desalentada. Sin embargo, cuando acabes, es preciso que leas y escuches mucho, y que lo hagas de una manera exitosa. A veces hay que leer reparando en los detalles gramaticales y en las palabras desconocidas, a veces hay que leer como si llevaras el diablo en los talones, sin parar. Ya sabes que sólo con estudiar no se aprenden los idiomas, igual que no se aprenden sin atacarse de modo bastante violento. Así que cuando acabes el libro de texto, húndete en la lectura, las películas, la escritura y, cuando sea posible, conversación, y todo te saldrá bien, tanto con el ruso como con el francés.

Edited by frenkeld on 03 July 2010 at 3:36am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 91 of 195
03 July 2010 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
La verdad es que este camino no tiene fin, pero tampoco es un círculo.
A fin de cuentas, se exige el desarollo del sentido del idioma, o sea la capacidad de
entenderlo y la de expresarse en él de un modo automático. Como no has acabado todavía
el curso básico del ruso, tienes muy pocas razones para sentirte desalentada. Sin
embargo, cuando acabes, es preciso que leas y escuches mucho, y que lo hagas de una
manera exitosa. A veces hay que leer reparando en los detalles gramaticales y en las
palabras desconocidas, a veces hay que leer como si llevaras el diablo en los talones,
sin parar. ¿A que sabes que sólo con estudiar no se aprenden los idiomas?, igual que no
se aprenden sin atacarse de modo bastante violento. Así que acaba el libro de texto,
húndete en la lectura, las películas, la escritura y, cuando sea posible, conversación,
y todo te saldrá bien, tanto con el ruso como con el francés.

A veces me siento melodramatica y tengo que escribir algo como eso, o decirlo a alguien
si por alguna razon no lo puedo escribir. La verdad es que yo ya he leído ese libro
antes; no hice los ejercisios pero se mas o menes que es lo que dice. En ese sentido,
hice trampa - aunque no puedo producir muchas cosas cuando escribo o hablo, los
reconozco y eso me deja leer mas que si solo me quedaba con leer un capitalo cada dia y
no mirar para alante. Como ya he leido la mayoria de mi libro (aunque no conozco ni la
mitad del vocabulario), esperé que sea mas facil.

Entiendo lo que dice, que necesito mas paciencia, y supongo que usted esta correcto.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 92 of 195
03 July 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
... hice trampa - aunque no puedo producir muchas cosas cuando escribo o hablo, los reconozco y eso me deja leer mas que si solo me quedaba con leer un capitalo cada dia y no mirar para alante. Como ya he leido la mayoria de mi libro (aunque no conozco ni la mitad del vocabulario), esperé que sea mas facil.

Entiendo lo que dice, que necesito mas paciencia, y supongo que usted esta correcto

Primero que nada, siempre he tenido la impresión de que la gente se tutea en los foros. Si estoy equivocado o si no te parece bien por cualquier otra razón, nos tratarémos de Ud. Sea como sea, no pienso molestarte con español, nada más me dio por escribir en español por lo de francés.

A decir verdad, no pensaba en la paciencia, más bien en lo que se necesita en general para lograr el dominio de un idioma. Hay estudios y hay práctica, y es a través de la práctica intensa que se desarrollan las cuatro habilidades, aunque sea con la ayuda de los diccionarios, de las gramáticas etc. Por otro lado, tienes razón en observar que como todavía estás repasando un libro de texto y hasta que acabes no puedes dedicarte con todo afán a la practica, por el momento hace falta un poco de paciencia y dedicación a este libro de texto. En todo caso, la paciencia fue palabra tuya, no mía. :)

Edited by frenkeld on 07 July 2010 at 3:07am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 93 of 195
03 July 2010 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Primero que nada, he tenido la impresión de que la gente se tutea en los foros. Si estoy equivocado o si no te parece bien por qualquier otra razón nos tratarémos de Ud. Sea como sea, no pienso molestarte con español, nada más me dió por escribir en español por lo de francés.

Yo nunca he ido a un foro en español, entonces yo no conozco los costumbres en los foro. No estaba segura de cual forma usar y entonces usé 'usted' porque es la opción 'segura'. No tengo ningun contacto con el español fuera de lo que hablo con mi familia, asi que no conozco como se usa el español hoy en dia o en los foros o en los libros. Hablo el español que se hablaba en Cuba en los años setenta.

No me molesta conversar en español, es solo que estaba curiousa.

Quote:
A decir verdad, no pensaba en la paciencia, más bien en lo que se necesita en general para lograr el dominio de un idioma. Hay estudios y hay práctica, y es a través de la práctica intensa que se desarrollan las cuatro habilidades, aunque sea con la ayuda de los diccionarios, de las gramáticas etc. Por otro lado, tienes razón en observar que como todavía estás repasando un libro de texto y hasta que acabes no puedes dedicarte con todo afán a la practica, por el momento hace falta un poco de paciencia y dedicación a este libro de texto. En todo caso, la paciencia fue palabra tuya, no mía. :)

Me imagino que hablabas de la dedicación y ese tipo de cosa? Si, adicioné lo de la paciencia porque yo se que a mi me falta la paciencia. Yo lo se y es uno de mis defectos. Yo creo que casi espero que aprender lenguages me ayudara con la paciencia, aunque hay muchos poliglotas impacientes. :P

Pues, voy a cojer tu consejo en serio y voy a empezar a ir por mi libro de russo otra vez. Lo había abandonado por un momento porque quería oir y leer mas russo... pero claramente eso no requiere que yo abandone el estudio mas 'serio' o como se diga.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 94 of 195
03 July 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
... aprender lenguages me ayudara con la paciencia, aunque hay muchos poliglotas impacientes.

Creo que es imposible ser políglota sin impaciencia. Sin el deseo de hasta soñar con la lengua es imposible aprenderla.

Quote:
Pues, voy a cojer tu consejo en serio y voy a empezar a ir por mi libro de russo otra vez. Lo había abandonado por un momento porque quería oir y leer mas russo... pero claramente eso no requiere que yo abandone el estudio mas 'serio' o como se diga.

Aquí hay un malentendido. Tú sabes mejor que nadie lo que necesitas tú. Mencioné aquel libro de texto sólo porque tenía la impresión de que tú misma querías seguir estudiandolo. Si por el momento prefieres disfrutar del ruso en vez de estudiarlo, no cambies tus planes sólo porque yo hubiera dicho algo que te hubiese parecido un reproche.

Edited by frenkeld on 04 July 2010 at 6:05pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 95 of 195
05 July 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I would like to take a moment to say that this forum is terribly formatted. Ugh. I just
lost a big post I had made because apparently I took too long to post it and it logged
me
out (and I'm certainly not going to write that again). Even though I have "auto log-in"
enabled!

408 (+23)
Did vocabulary again and as you all can see, I broke the 300 barrier! *cheers* Now I
need to get to the 1,000 barrier, of course, since I want to get to 2,000 words before
summer ends. I've been lazy on this field, my own admittance. :P

I read through parts of Russian for Dummies last night. This book, unfortunately, is
romanized for the most part D: as it is made for people who apparently want to go to
Russia for like a week or something. However, it still has a lot of useful vocabulary
so I've been going through it and writing the words in Cyrillic again.

I like reading Harry Potter because although it's rather above my level, I can still go
through it and understand it because there's some commonly recurring vocabulary and
because I already read the corresponding section in English. It makes me feel less
useless so yay, Harry Potter! I ought to try this with some other language and another
Harry Potter book... I picked Order of the Phoenix because it was the biggest one,
after all.

Edited by lynxrunner on 06 July 2010 at 9:20pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 96 of 195
06 July 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Wrote another short dialogue that came out of nowhere. I was writing down the
vocabulary I had learned above (I think writing by hand is helpful) and for годовщина,
which I had trouble remembering, I made this dialogue:

Владимир - Блин! Я забыл, что завтра годовщина свадьбы!
Михайл - Ты забываешь каждый год.
В Неправда!
И Да. Ты забыл в прошлом году. И 2008... и в 2007 ты сделал-
В Ладно, сейчас неважно. Что купить? Колнцу?
М Что нравится жене?
В Фильмы комедии.
И Если ей нравится фильмы, то купи фильм.
В Да ты что?! Я не куплю фильм для жены на день годовшины свадьбы!
И Отлично. Я замолчу.

I'm certain that I won't forget that word anymore. :P

Edited by lynxrunner on 06 July 2010 at 1:54am

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version