United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 41 of 195
04 June 2010 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Although there is no essay portion of my French exam, here's a little something in
French since I don't want to neglect it or anything.

Il grêlait.
J'habite dans le sud de la Florida... et il grêlait.
Je ne comprend pas ce monde. Très étrange!
Aujourd'hui, j'ai fait deux examens: le debat et les mathematiques. Les maths était
simple, et le debat aussi. Présentement j'étudie pour l'examen de la chimie. Il est
plus facile que j'ai pensé. Il faut que j'écrive un essai pour la classe des études
sociaux, et je ne veux pas le faire...
Oh, et je dois étudier pour le francais. Mais cet examen fini dés que les autres. J'ai
le fin de semaine pour étudier. Quelle chance!
Quatre jours... quatre jours...

Yeah, it hailed in South Florida. If you are thinking "WTF", don't worry - that's what
I thought too.
1 person has voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 42 of 195
04 June 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Puis, j'ai finalement fait le celebre examen de la chimie. Il etait simple. Cet forum m'a aide' beaucoup. J'ai 'ecrit le guide d'etudier entier pour l'etudier et memorise' chaque reponse. Quand le nouveau annee d'ecole debute, je vais utiliser le SRS pour m'aider avec la chimie et les mathematiques... je ne peux pas croire que je n'ai pas pense' de ca anterieurment.

Il y a seulement quatre examens: un autre de chimie, de litterature, de francais, et finir le debat. J'ai fait un "A" pour l'examen de mathematique et alors je suis heureuse. :)

Quand l'ete debute, je peux etudier vraiment. J'ai beaucoup d'enthusiasme. S'il y a quelqu'un ici qui aime la chimie, j'etudierai la chimie pendant l'ete. Je veux me preparer pour l'annee d'ecole et je pense que la chimie est interessant... mais difficile. La meme chose concernant le calculus integral.

Edited by lynxrunner on 04 June 2010 at 6:27pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 43 of 195
05 June 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Russian Vocabulary - the path to 2,000
304 (+7)

Finally broke 300! At this rate I'll be fluent in Russian in no time. ;)

What are today's lovely words? They come from http://www.pravda.ru/authored/04-06-
2010/1034102-peshkova-0 this Pravda article and some other sites I happened to
find.

замечательный - remarkable
в злости - in an evil mood, angry (just a negative mood, I guess)
несмотря на (acc) - in spite of, disregarding
превратности - vicissitudes (new English word for me!), things that happen by chance
правильно - right, correct
Согласный - in agreement (I've seen it used in the short form to mean "X agrees", such
as "США согласны с необходимостью обсуждения безопасности в Европе")
Наверняка - certainly, for sure

I've noticed that a lot of people use the short forms when writing in Russian. It's
used extensively everywhere. I've also seen people use the adverb form of adjectives to
describe things... like "конечно". It's definitely something I'll have to keep in mind
when writing.

Now, for those of you wondering why I'm reading Pravda, I would like to say that in my
defense it is the only Russian news website whose address I can remember easily without
having to go to a "pick your language" page. This is important when browsing on my
mobile phone because I cannot type in Russian on my cell and I can't copy/paste either
(so no transliteration sites). I like to check foreign language websites in the morning
on my phone and so pravda.ru is very easy to access. It also has a lot of vocabulary I
can figure out from context (yay, ego boost!).

Edited by lynxrunner on 05 June 2010 at 5:40am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 44 of 195
05 June 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I love viedemerde.fr for all the interesting words you can learn there... there's
definitely a lot of colloquial stuff (just saw "ouf" in context) there. It's a nice
break from the French history book I'm reading. There's also words I should know (elbow
:x) by now but yeah, whatever.

branler - to shake (used colloquially to mean "masturbate)
zizi - peepee
pipi - pee
l'ordi - short for ordinateur, computer
la coude - elbow
choc - shock (lots of English sound-alikes here)
gosse - kid
gamin - kid

Also, this was too good. A horrible VDM indeed... ;) This site is way better than the
French news I was reading before.

"Aujourd'hui, un petit garçon dans la rue m'a montré du doigt en disant à sa mère :
"Regarde, maman, c'est Sarkozy !" VDM"

Translation: "Today, a little boy on the street pointed at me and told his mom,
'Hey look, mom, it's Sarkozy!' FML"

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 45 of 195
06 June 2010 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
I went to a party today and got pretty wet - it was fun! Afterwards, we went to Barnes
and Nobles and I bought some books I needed for summer reading. I was disappointed at
the lack of a Swedish dictionary (there was Norwegian. There was Danish. There was
Burmese, but for whatever region that was no Swedish dictionary)... however, I
found something better: an absolutely amazing Hindi textbook called Elementary
Hindi
by Richard Delacy. It look really good, it had a CD (!) and it didn't use
romanization (my Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi book uses romanization which means
that I often put off learning all of the Devanagari because it was too easy to rely on
the romanization). I really wanted to buy it... but I didn't because I didn't want to
get distracted from Russian. Still, it was really hard to put it back down... and I
certainly intend to buy it someday. Hopefully, soon. ;)

On the Russian front...

Russian Vocabulary: The Path to 2,000
310 (+6), 0.15%

Picked a few words out of the following paragraph on an article about suicide.

Странное дело! Вроде бы люди мы с вами умные, всё понимаем: и что силы наши не
беспредельны, и что организм от чрезмерных нагрузок "изнашивается", и что в состоянии
хронической усталости не только работа, но и жизнь становится не в радость. А всё равно
продолжаем крутиться как белки в колесе, да ещё и гордимся своим "героизмом".

Вроде бы люди мы с вами умные...

I'm not sure what the "с вами" is there for. I know it means like "It seems to people
that we are smart" but I don't know what the "с вами" is for.

настоя́щий друг - true friend
штука - thing
выгорание - burnout
Вроде бы - It seems that, one could say that, one can see
Умный - smart (not used directly?)
беспредельный - unlimited

Edited by lynxrunner on 06 June 2010 at 7:02am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 46 of 195
06 June 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
Вроде бы люди мы с вами умные...

I'm not sure what the "с вами" is there for. I know it means like "It seems to people
that we are smart" but I don't know what the "с вами" is for.

Before we get to "с вами", I don't think "It seems to people that we are smart" is an accurate translation. I would translate it impersonally, something like "One could say that you and are intelligent people ...", or "One would think that you and I are intelligent people...", or perhaps "It would seem to be the case that ...", etc. The best may be "You'd think you and I are intelligent people ...". Can't give you a more precise translation, but the key point is that it is a general statement, not directed at anyone else, like it was in "it seems to people".

Now, about "с вами". Literally, it just means "with you". "Я с вами поеду" means simply "I will drive with you". "Мы с вами" seems more of an idiomatic use - I've never thought about it before, but it doesn't seem to translate literally. Its meaning could be something "you and I", "all of us", etc. Literally it is "we with you", here perhaps in a sense of "we and you". Compare how you could say in English, "you and I" instead of just "we". It would be for emphasis. So, it's kind of like that here, instead of just saying "мы", this lengthier expression is used, "мы с вами". One also hears "вы и я" or "я и вы", but "мы с вами" would be somewhat more common in such situations. I think - I don't know what other Russian speakers might say here.

Anyway, this just shows how difficult it can be to translate things precisely. Hope this clarifies the matters some for you.

2 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 47 of 195
06 June 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Before we get to "с вами", I don't think "It seems to people that we are
smart" is an accurate translation. I would translate it impersonally, something like "One
could say that you and are intelligent people ...", or "One would think that you and I
are intelligent people...", or perhaps "It would seem to be the case that ...", etc. The
best may be "You'd think you and I are intelligent people ...". Can't give you a more
precise translation, but the key point is that it is a general statement, not directed at
anyone else, like it was in "it seems to people".

Oh, I think I understand the problem. I had used a Google Translate version (never trust
automatic translators, I guess) and it gave me that. I have seen "Мы с тобой" and "Мы с
женой" before to mean "Me and you" and "my wife and I", so I think I was misled by the
translation. :x A million thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 48 of 195
08 June 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
I like how once I leave this log for two days, its popularity goes from 12% to 15%. :P

In any case, I bought that Hindi book I told youse about! It was MUCH more expensive than I expected, but I hope it'll be worth it in the end. :)

I've started doing a parallel text with Harry Potter 5, Russian and English. The first paragraph already presented me with many unknown words. I've written them down, and I've looked up many of them with my dictionary (I really didn't feel like typing each word in). Once I finish writing down the vocabulary for the whole first chapter, I'm going to re-read it with the audio I have. :D

No news on the other fronts, other than school ending in one day. :0 I'm shocked, too! I'll finally have time for studying and doing my thangs! I'm looking forward to it... ;)

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version