United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 33 of 195
31 May 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
The movie was "Летят журавли" (The Cranes are Flying). I tried watching it with no
subtitles at all and didn't get anything. With English subtitles I couldn't match the
words either. I'd heard about it on this
website

I wish there were people who made literal translations. The translations for the
subtitles in movies are changed to sound better to the audience. However, it means that
I
have difficulty understanding pretty much anything because they're different than what
I
would expect. I'd prefer an awkward, more literal translation (then again, I'm not
watching this movie for pleasure :P).

EDIT: Haven't done one of my dialogues (why does Google Chrome think 'dialogue' is
wrong? I was taught to write 'dialogue'; 'dialog' makes me think of 'dialog boxes' in
video games. Dialogue is perfectly acceptable American English!) in a long time and I
miss Elena and Mikhail. :( None of my new vocabulary seems to fit them well (or are
Elena and Ivan secretly doing some S&M by night - hence why you'd need поклон?) so I
guess I'll have to whip out my trusty grammar book sometime soon.

ЕЛЕНА Михаил, твоя... подруга была вегетарианка, правда?
МИХАИЛ Правда.
ЕЛЕНА Ну, ты был вегетариан?
МИХАИЛ Да нет. Я ел мясо но я сдел ед без мяса. Почему?
ЕЛЕНА Я сдумала, что становиться вегетариан, это очень трудн.
МИХАИЛ Да.

Edited by lynxrunner on 31 May 2010 at 8:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 34 of 195
01 June 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
The movie was "Летят журавли" (The Cranes are Flying). I tried watching it with no subtitles at all and didn't get anything. With English subtitles I couldn't match the words either.

If the subtitles helped you understand some of the phrases and sentences that you didn't get before, perhaps repeated viewings with and without subtitles may help further.

There is a site, http://ru.euronews.net/, which carries video news clips with transcripts in several languages, including Russian. If you haven't tried it before, check it out.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 35 of 195
01 June 2010 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
That's a very useful resource, I hadn't heard of it before. Thank you very much!

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 36 of 195
02 June 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Update~. However, it's for French this time.

These are the things I must study for my French final:
- dif between 'depuis', 'dans' and 'il y a'
- irregular verbs in the present
- reflexive verbs (pretty easy)
- vocabulary (I'll have to read more, especially food items and animal names.)

From what I've seen, it's not too hard. However, I can't let my guard down with French. On ne sait jamais. In any case, I like French so I'm willing to put Russian aside for a very short while to study this. Russian will be back very soon...

Some words I have to look up:

quincallerie, teinturier, potage, soulier, betises, marguerites, aiguilles, l'auberge, framboise (I swear I know this one)bon accueil, d'avenir, d'avance, les bouts, les fours, les ficelles, une ecurie, une ecume, une deesse,epargner, eperdre, la buche, au coude, l'echelle, grimper, enfoncer, gaspiller, parcimonieuse, faire des emplettes, en avoir par-dessus la tete...

Also, there's one question that I don't understand. It goes like this:
"Vous avez beau parler; je...
a. livre bataiile
b. lie connaissance
c. n'y entends rien
d. fais d'une pierre deux coups"

What exactly is "vous avez beau parler"? None of the choices seem to make sense to me at all.

Au revoir, mes amis phantames!

Edited by lynxrunner on 02 June 2010 at 6:56pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 37 of 195
02 June 2010 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Google rocks :) - link

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 38 of 195
02 June 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
lol, you're right. :P I asked my French teacher after I posted this and he explained it
to
me, but thanks anyway for the link. The other test he showed me was much more at my
level, so I think that's the one I'll be taking.

Edited by lynxrunner on 02 June 2010 at 10:04pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 39 of 195
03 June 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
So, my math test is tomorrow! Lots of trigonometry. :x It's supposed to be very easy,
though, so I'm not stressing out about it. You all know about my fears with chemistry,
so I shan't get into that...

WARNING: Very long post ahead! tl;dr! If you don't want to hear me reminisce about the
"old days" (that is, a school year ago), scroll past now!

I'd like to put a little memory here before I forget it, simply because it was such an
enjoyable part of learning Russian/ My "early days", back when I didn't write anything
about my language learning endeavors.

The year that I started learning Russian (late 2008) was also the year that I started
taking World History. Well, it was a weird version of World History. I won't get into
that. My textbook had a lot of Soviet and Russian political cartoons written in Russian
(of course), with little translations on the side.

These cartoons were absolutely invaluable for learning to read Cyrillic. Although I
made good use of flashcards, these little cartoons helped me by putting the funky
letters into context. It helped that a lot of the text had cognates; things like "The
train of communism!" were easy because "communism" is spelled a lot like its English
equivalent. As such, over a period of a few weeks (I unfortunately never wrote down
when it was that I started learning the alphabet. I know that it was perhaps in October
that I started and I could definitely read by November), I grew familiar with the
alphabet by means of flashcard, writing down the alphabet repeatedly, and analyzing
these cartoons. Eventually, there came a time where I could haltingly read the Cyrillic
alphabet. Success!

When I say "haltingly", I mean it. I often had to stop and look back at a word and
think "Wait, am I really pronouncing this right? Is this the right letter?" I was under
the weird impression that the letter 'e' was usually pronounced 'eh' and so for quite
some time I didn't palatize consonants that had 'e' after them. Oh, since no
explanation of the soft sign I read made much sense, I basically pronounced a small 'y'
after each soft consonant. Kupit' therefore sounded like kupity, with a soft y at the
end. Eventually I read a very good explanation of palatized consonants that led me away
from this horrible habit. Ah, the good ol' days. 8)

I do recall that soon after learning the alphabet, I was rather upset that I could not
understand a lot of the vocabulary (do you see a theme here? Verily, I do!). I was used
to having easy to understand words like "communism" and "pact" and country names!
French had spoiled me, too, and that I could not understand immediately certainly upset
me. I eventually realized "Hey, Russian is not Spanish, French, or English. It's a
whole new ball game," and that was when I grudgingly accepted that learning the
Cyrillic alphabet did not mean that I was suddenly master of Russian. :P

Once I got the hang of the alphabet, I grew to hate transliterated text. It was just so
ugly. This hatred of transliterated Russian also extended to Polish (as you can see in
the "Polish or Russian" thread). Basically, transliterated Russian prevented me from
practicing the alphabet and that upset me.

My basic standing in Russian grammar came from "russianlessons.net", a good website
that I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn Russian "on the cheap". :) This
website first explained "cases" to me (and I was thoroughly fascinated with them from
the moment I saw them), the perfective/imperfective aspect (which I grew to love as
well), and verbs of motion (which I despised so...). Memories... I quite liked that
website. The forum was useful, too.

I think my parents thought that my interest in Russian was a passing phase. Before, the
language I had wanted to learn was Icelandic, and they said they would not support my
Icelandic efforts until I "took French seriously" (I'm still not quite sure what they
meant by that). As such, although my local bookstore stocked "Teach Yourself Icelandic"
(the only Icelandic material there), I never bought it, and a few years later I saw
with huge disappointment that the Teach Yourself Icelandic program was no longer there.
:(

I was very happy when my parents unexpectedly presented me with a Russian dictionary. I
think that they finally realized then that I really was into Russian, that it
was not just a passing phase, and I really appreciated it. That dictionary was pretty
good and it was my tool in translating my first Russian song (Nadezhda).

This all culminated in my receiving my first "real" Russian book, The New Penguin
Course. I had been very excited about this one: lots and lots of grammar! I had always
been upset with phrasebooks because they never taught you how to form sentences, just
how to say "My name is ___" or "Where is the bathroom?". Knowing that I was ordering a
real COURSE made it all the more exciting... and this being the first language I was
learning on my own made me ever the more motivated to start learning. I wanted to prove
to everyone that I could do Russian, that it was not a passing fancy, and that I would
do it well.

I soon became known as the Russian girl as school. People actually thought I was
Russian. People asked me to translate stuff in Russian. Considering that I am Cuban and
that my knowledge of Russian back then was pretty basic, I found this all extremely
odd. A lot of the time I have to correct people and say, "No, I'm not X Nationality,
I'm Cuban" and they'll be like "Really? Are you sure?" Weird. :P

</memories>

Wow, writing out my memories makes me feel even more inspired to continue with Russian.
That was odd.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 40 of 195
03 June 2010 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
EDIT: This post is no longer relevant. :)

Edited by lynxrunner on 03 June 2010 at 12:24pm

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version