Joined 5246 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, German

Message 97 of 195
06 July 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Hello.
Here is few mistakes.

Владимир - Блин! Я забыл, что завтра годовщина свадьбы!
Михайл - Ты забываешь каждый год.
В Неправда!
И Да. Ты забыл в прошлом году. И в 2008, и в 2007. (or +ты забыл)
В Ладно, сейчас неважно. Что купить? Колнцу?(what does it mean? Кольцо?)
М Что нравится жене?
В Фильмы комедии.
И Если ей нравЯтся(plural) фильмы, то купи фильм.
В Да ты что?! Я не куплю фильм для жены на день годовЩины свадьбы!
И Отлично. Я молчу. (maybe just "Молчу" or "Всё, молчу")

Edited by frozen on 06 July 2010 at 7:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 98 of 195
06 July 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
И Да. Ты забыл в прошлом году. И в 2008, и в 2007. (or +ты забыл)

Okay.

Quote:

В Ладно, сейчас неважно. Что купить? Колнцу?(what does it mean? Кольцо?)

Yes, it means кольцо. I seem to have forgotten how to spell it. :P

Quote:
И Если ей нравЯтся(plural) фильмы, то купи фильм.

I can't believe I forgot that.

Quote:

I am the queen of misspellings. :P

Quote:
И Отлично. Я молчу. (maybe just "Молчу" or "Всё, молчу")

Alright.

Thank you for your corrections. :) You've been very helpful.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6752 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 99 of 195
06 July 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
frozen wrote:
В Фильмы комедии.

Just two additional comments.

One can also say "комедийные фильмы" instead of "фильмы-комедии", but in speech "фильмы-комедии" would probably be more natural.

If "Я не куплю фильм для жены на день годовЩины свадьбы!" is meant to express that he wants to get something better for his wife than a DVD for their wedding anniversary, I would emphasize it by saying:

"Я не собираюсь покупать жене фильм на годовщину свадьбы"

or

"Я не буду покупать жене фильм на годовщину свадьбы".

The original way, "не куплю", is not wrong grammatically, but it would sound perfect in the following sentence:

"Если я не куплю жене подарок на день годовщины свадьбы, она мне этого не простит."

Edited by frenkeld on 06 July 2010 at 9:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 100 of 195
06 July 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
One can also say "комедийные фильмы" instead of "фильмы-комедии", but
in speech "фильмы-комедии" would probably be more natural.

Alright, good to know. I wasn't sure if фильмы-комедии was natural so I Googled it.

Quote:
If "Я не куплю фильм для жены на день годовЩины свадьбы!" is meant to express
that he wants to get something better for his wife than a DVD for their wedding
anniversary, I would emphasize it by saying:

"Я не собираюсь покупать жене фильм на годовщину свадьбы" or "Я не буду покупать жене
фильм на годовщину свадьбы".

The original way, "не куплю", is not wrong grammatically, but it would sound perfect in
the following sentence: "Если я не куплю жене подарок на день годовщины свадьбы, она
мне этого не простит."

Yeah, I meant that he was implying that a DVD would be a poor gift, so what you said
works.

I finally got to Chapter 15! This means that I am halfway through the book! I'm so
excited - I'm finally getting to the interesting stuff. Whoo!

I've also found that the sound of rain in the background is very relaxing. o.o I wonder
who else does it? Couple it with some free-form jazz and the sound of a warm fireplace
burning and it's like I'm in some cottage in the woods. Very classy. *raises glass of
wine* I don't even drink wine, but whatever.

Started looking through my Elementary Hindi book. It's so nice to finally be able to
hear how Hindi sounds. Hindi and Swedish are my post-Russian projects (as if
I'll ever really be post-Russian ;) ) so I better brace myself for their challenges!

Words: 431 (+23)

I'm almost halfway through the vocabulary for this chapter. I think that the author
teaches something like fifty words every chapter! He did 350 words in total for the
first 10 chapters and now you can do more than that in five chapters.

Edited by lynxrunner on 07 July 2010 at 1:23am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 101 of 195
07 July 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
1 hour (+15 min) of Russian Radio today! I would have listened to more but my
phone was glitching and I was not in the mood for wrestling with it.

I also made cookies. I need to write about this in some language.

Finally, I found the absolute best way to listen to Russian! Here it goes:

1. Open this link: rainymood.com
2. Open this in a separate tab: http://www.endlessyoutube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
3. Open this in another tab: http://www.endlessyoutube.com/watch?v=DIx3aMRDUL4
4. Open the Russian (or whatever language) audio of your choice.
5. Enjoy.

With the audio I downloaded from LingQ that happens to be about eating at a restaurant,
it sounds like the characters are at some classy restaurant, chilling out while it's
raining outside. You can change the audio to get different moods, of course. It helps
you because you get to practice listening to Russian/your language while there's
noise... and it's just fun. <3 Also, when I shadow it, it sounds like I'm in some
classy Russian restaurant. If you study a language with a friend, there are so many
opportunities to roleplay!

Edited by lynxrunner on 07 July 2010 at 11:26pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 102 of 195
08 July 2010 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
453 (+23) 22%

Added all the remaining vocabulary from Chapter 15. There's a review to do and then I
am officially done with Chapter 15 (and am officially halfway through the
book!).

I went to a used books bookstore nearby today and I started looking through their
clearance and I found a German textbook and workbook. :o I'm going to give this to my
friend (since she wants to learn German), though. And there was some other stuff, too!
Inside I bought a Berlitz dictionary for Swedish (that shows the pronunciation for the
Swedish in some mangled English pronunciation guide... while the English pronunciation
is shown in IPA. Woe is I) and a Random House dictionary for Japanese (that
alphabetizes the Japanese by romaji. Um, is it supposed to be like that?). My purchase
was more than $10 so I got a free book - I took the only book in French there was
(Diable au Corps). A good day for languages! I wanted to buy Colloquial Hungarian and
Beginner's Chinese (as well as a dictionary of Indo-European Roots - someone out there
is really interested in languages!) but I decided to restrain myself.

Ultimately, today was not a good day for Russian. I ended up lolly-gagging a lot. I did
some LingQ stuff (as my post above shows you) but after that I got distracted. I
downloaded a whole bunch of stuff for Yoruba and looked at some Hindi materials. :x
Yoruba's pretty cool - it reminds me of Mandarin. I definitely have to start a log for
Yoruba some day. Sorry Russian - tomorrow will be a better day!

Oh, and I need to organize my language learning docket. Here we go: Russian, Hindi,
Swedish, Japanese (for a short time; not high-intensity), Yoruba (maybe?), Finnish
(also maybe), Albanian/Armenian (the two great neglected living branches of IE! that
both happen to start with A). I've recently been very attracted to Finnish and I don't
know why. There's a lot of great music in Finnish, but there's no practical reason for
me to learn Finnish (or Yoruba). Eh, whatever. At least it will be an interesting ride.

I'm going to start reading HP again since it's a huge joy to actually see the words I'm
studying show up in a real context. So yeah. Tomorrow. Now I have to go to sleep.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 103 of 195
09 July 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Got to Chapter 16 and I can now form the Instrumental Case. :) That's all the cases!
I haven't finished it yet (need to copy down the words and then input them into Surusu)
but I read through the little dialogues in the end and was able to read most of it
without a problem. :D Once I finished this Chapter, I will be able to move on to
Chapter 17, which is basically "Numbers: Part Two". Chapter 20 is verbs of motion, and
I don't think I ever got any further than that, so I'm curious as to what wonders will
await me. :o

I recognized a lot of the Chapter 16 vocabulary - yay!

My ankle hurts now, by the way. I had planned to go ice-skating today with some friends
but the pain of walking won't let me do that. :( So yeah.

Мне надо писать что-нибудь на русском...

Edited by lynxrunner on 09 July 2010 at 5:13pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 104 of 195
10 July 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Вчера я готовила печенья для друзей. Они были вкусными! Я люблю песенья. Мы также
сиграли игры географии (Я победила). Я нашла, где Намибия. Всё не было по плану - план
был идти в каток. Один из друзей хожу в Пеннсилвания скоро. Поэтому я не увижу её через
месяц.

Сейчас я смотрю фильм "Josie and the Pussycats" на французском. Я не видела ничего по-
французски давным давно. Я счастлива, что я понимаю всё в фильме. Ночью я читаю Гарри
Поттер. Я понимаю много. Я продолжаю читать учебник. Я на уроке номер 17. Есть 30
уроков. Почти кончила!*
---
Yesterday I made cookies for my friends. They were delicious! I love cookies. We also
played a geography game (I won). I found out where Namibia is. Not everything went
according to plan - the plan was to go ice-skating. One of my friends is going to
Pennsylvania soon. Because of that, I won't see her in a month.

Right now, I'm watching the film "Josie and the Pussycats" in French. I haven't seen
anything in French in a long time. I'm happy that I understand everything i the film.
During the night I'm reading Harry Potter. I understand a lot. I continue to read my
textbook. I'm on lesson 17. There are 30 lessons. I'm almost finished!

File 3: 26:27. Chapter 4, page 59.
31:19, page 61.

1 hour, 25 minutes (+25 min)

I read 25 minutes of Harry Potter. The problem is that I'm very far ahead of where I
was hearing-wise, so I'm already bored with this section that I'm reading now. :x
However, my files aren't ordered by chapter, unfortunately, so I can't tell which file
has which chapter - I have to find out by myself. I have no choice but to keep going at
this pace. Besides, it means more listening practice.

*I know that this word can also mean "to come" in Russian, and I've heard that recently
the connotation has become so strong that people are using a different word for "to
finish". I wonder if there's a better way to say this?

Edited by lynxrunner on 14 July 2010 at 3:12am

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version