crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 137 of 195
04 September 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
602 (+41) words

That's a lot of words! And it's not even all of them; just the ones I looked at today.
I figured that I really needed to get back to vocabulary. I've been studying it in
school.

I got to the end of Chapter 23, time expressions, today. I didn't do a lot of the
exercises because I knew I wasn't going to remember it (and in any case I need to
review Chapter 17 which is also about time so I should really do both at the same
time). Chapter 24 is about negation and such.

I around 2/5s of the way through Harry Potter. It's nice to see some progress. Of
course, after I finish reading it I still need to hear the audiobook version. :)

Thank goodness it's Friday! I'm going to review this week's words before moving on to
Chapter 24. I really want to get the vocabulary down pat since that's my biggest
stumbling block.
1 person has voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 138 of 195
07 September 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
School tomorrow! I shall miss thee, Labor Day.

I have been a bad child and haven't studied any Russian. :( I have, however, made it to
approximately half of Harry Potter. *studio audience applause* I also finally finished
"I know why the caged bird sings" but that's an unrelated topic. :P

I've been trying to find some more Russian music to listen to since I can't just listen
to Винтаж's stuff. I tried looking at "classic" Russian rock like Aquarium (I've heard
good things about them) but their style was more... toned down from what I expected of
rock. I guess Russian and American rock are different. And it's not just with that
band. If anyone out there would like to recommend some music, the only requirement is
that it be Russian.

It's amazing how little Russian music I have. :( At least there's radio!

I'm wondering what I'll read after Harry Potter. It'll probably be a while before I
finish that, but still... it helps to plan ahead, I guess. I do have "Russian
Stories" which is a whole bunch of short stories, but they're too advanced for me. I
think I'll use frenkeld's link with readers of famous stories. I could read those
pretty well and it would me greatly encouraging if I could finish one of those!

I've made a lot of progress in school. Being distracted from other work is great fun.
8D Once I can start bringing actual Russian books to school, it'll be even better. Of
course, I still need to finish "Kiffe Kiffe Demain" but if I wanted to I could re-read
that book in a whole afternoon. Hm... I'll see what my level is when I finish Harry
Potter (and by then I'll have finished the New Penguin course and I should have at
least approximately 1,500 words, though for many reasons my vocab count will probably
not reflect that).

frozen
Russian Federation
Joined 5246 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, German

Message 139 of 195
07 September 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
try this )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Zth7IQPCj6M

v=TCfHg1i6zAs

v=_O0m4PdQz8M

v=nJdDila0ffE

v=7DldI22ObPo

v=kHSWgrx_Cps

v=qs5ZKEqCIbk

Edited by frozen on 07 September 2010 at 7:43am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 140 of 195
16 September 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the music; I particularly liked "Я свободен".

Some words from this article:
http://www.pravda.ru/news/society/16-09-2010/1049719-egypt-0 /

606 (+4)

Издание – publication
Причем – at the same time
сравнениие – comparison
потока - flow

5 h 54 min (+27 min)
Listened to ten minutes yesterday and thirteen the day before that.

Edited by lynxrunner on 29 September 2010 at 12:31pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 141 of 195
29 September 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Like a phoenix from the ashes, I will rise again! *dramatic music*

6 h 24 min (+30 min)

I'm certain I listened to more than that over the last few days, but I'll leave it at
thirty. It's amazing how I'll just totally understand some sentences and then they
throw
in a word I don't know and dive into more unknown words, at which point I have to start
cursing myself and saying "Where did all this vocabulary come from?" ;)

I actually have a lot of vocabulary but I haven't had the time to add it to Surusu
(read that as such: I have been managing my time poorly so I don't have time to add it
to Surusu). I haven't done the whole "look up each word on a search engine" thing yet
for my words.

Chapter 27, past passive participles, whoo! They're actually somewhat interesting.
Thankfully most of them are not too difficult. I'm three chapters away from finishing
the book (three chapters. I have never been this close before!). I'm doing all of the
exercises (and I'm doing them pretty well if I do say so myself). The problem is that I
work during school so when the teachers decide to put work I can't study. :(

Ведь это не должен быть проблема. Если б я знала, как работать без много времени,
думаю, что сделала бы лучше.
(But you know this shouldn't be a problem. If I knew how to work without a lot of time,
then I would do [perform] better.)

When I finish this book, I'm going to put some serious effort into learning all the
irregular conjugations and getting my grammar up to speed so I can talk properly and
such. But first, I need vocabulary. Words words words.

Edited by lynxrunner on 29 September 2010 at 12:37pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6752 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 142 of 195
29 September 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Ведь это не должен быть проблема. (But you know this shouldn't be a problem.) - Ведь это не должно быть проблемой.

Если б я знала, как работать без много времени, думаю, что сделала бы лучше. (If I knew how to work without a lot of time, then I would do [perform] better.) - Если б я знала, как работать без достаточного времени, думаю, что сделала бы лучше. This can be further improved by rewording, e.g.: Если б я знала, как работать, не имея достаточно времени, думаю, что сделала бы лучше. You can also say: Если б я знала, как работать, не имея много времени, думаю, что сделала бы лучше.

Congratulations on your progress with the textbook!

Edited by frenkeld on 30 September 2010 at 11:15pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 143 of 195
10 October 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your congratulations. :) I'm now on Chapter 28. I still need to copy down
all the vocabulary that I have, ahem, not been very diligent in copying. However,
that's something I can do later; the important thing now is learning how to use the
things taught in the chapter correctly.

I think that once I finish the book, I'll look at it again, just to remind myself of
things. I'll also have to start finding other sources for exercises since I obviously
can't just do the ones in the book forever. I want to know that book inside-out. It
already looks pretty worn, so at least if I know most everything in it I can say that
it's worn "due to years learning its intricacies." :P I also want to record most of the
dialogues in the book so that I can practice my pronunciation.

Speaking of pronunciation, I've made a breakthrough in terms of listening - I finally
found out the difference between т and ть. I had always noted that ть sounded almost as
if it were being aspirated, but it wasn't exactly that. I then had some sort of
epiphany where I realized that the "aspirated" sound of ть came from the tongue sliding
over the top of the mouth while making a t - and I already knew how to do that.
Basically, I've been able to do ть correctly this whole time and didn't realize it. The
problem now is integrating it effortlessly into my pronunciation since sometimes it
isn't loud enough or sounds too much like т. In any case, it's still something (and it'
just as exciting as when I realized that I knew both how to listen for and pronounce
ы). It sounds ridiculous, but I had always thought that if you didn't know how to
distinguish between two sounds when you first hear them, it would be extremely
difficult to be able to distinguish them later. Now I realize that if you listen a lot
and are attentive (and maaaybe you have a little clue as to what you're looking for -
thank you, IPA), you'll be able to pick out the difference between the sounds. It's not
effortless or fast, but when you do get it right it's a great feeling.

7 h 40 min (+1 hr 14 min)

I think I've actually heard more than this but I don't want to inflate my count with
possibly false numbers. In any case, the more the better. 8) I've not been too diligent
in listening to the radio, unfortunately. In any case, I still intend to get to 15
hours before the end of the year. My failure to listen more is due more to laziness
than any actual impediment.

628 (+22)

добрососедский – good-neighborly
падение - fall
ось - axis
сквозь - through
пригубить - to sip
разорвать - to break
выкинуть - to throw
нажимать - to press
(По)обещать - to promise
проложиить - to pave
задушить - to strangle
ожить - to come back to life
изысканный - refined, elegant
отражать/отразить - to reflect
подтверждать/подтвердить - to prove, confirm
ровно - precisely
бродить - to wander, stroll
Вроде-бы - it seems that
гордость - pride
равноправие - equality, equal rights
завять (вянуть/завянуть?) - to fade
успевать/успеть - to have time to

And finally, I got to Chapter 22 in Harry Potter. Still reading that thing. I've tried
to get back into reading again, but all the books I've been reading of my own free will
lately have disappointed me. Harry Potter is getting a little stale because I'm waaay
behind where I am in the English version, but I swore to myself that I would finish
that book and I know I shall.

Edited by lynxrunner on 11 October 2010 at 3:21am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 144 of 195
12 October 2010 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
7 h 50 min (+10)

I wanted to speak with one of my teachers being that there is a big test tomorrow, but
hey, they weren't there! This meant that my mother picked me up later. I took advantage
of the time and starting reading some Pravda on my phone; when I got tired of that, I
listened to Свобода. There will perhaps come a day when I will suddenly realize that I
understand everything that they're saying, and on that say I shall party. However, that
day, quite clearly, is not today. (also, I'm rather upset that I couldn't listen for an
extra ten minutes so that I could make it to eight hours. :P).

In any case, there won't be a lot of studying today because I have the aforementioned
test tomorrow. Tomorrow there shouldn't be a lot of homework, though, so maybe I'll be
able to go through some articles and comb them for words. Oh, and finish Chapter 28. :)

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version