Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 105 of 195
11 July 2010 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Let's start with "Почти кончила!". If you qualify what it is that is finished, it is less ambiguious. To my ear, there is nothing wrong with saying, for example, "Когда она кончила читать, ...", but you can also use "закончила" here, "Когда она закончила читать ...". Perhaps you can use "(Уже) почти закончила!", but it sounds even better impersonally, "(Учебник) почти закончен!".

Вчера я готовила печенья для друзей. - The singular is "печенье", and it is more common to refer to it in the singular, unless you are talking about different sorts of it, "разные печенья". Also, "готовить" is to cook in general, "печь" is to bake. Finally, "готовила" means "I was making", "приготовила" means the cooking actually got finished. So the most common way to say what you said would be, "Вчера я испекла печенье для друзей", but "Вчера я приготовила печенье для друзей" would be OK too.

Они были вкусными! - In the singular you would say, "Оно было вкусным", but in conversation "Оно было вкусное" would be OK too, I think. If you want to say, "It turned out tasty", you can say , "Оно получилось вкусным".

Я люблю песенья. - "Я люблю печенье" is preferred.

Мы также сиграли игры географии. - "игры географии" literally means, "the games geography plays", whoever or whatever geography is. Also, игры is plural, which is ok if you played many games, but if it was, for example, one single game that you played, you could put it all together into this statement, "Мы также сыграли в игру по географии". You can also say, "Мы также играли в игру по географии" or "Мы также поиграли в игру по географии".

Я нашла, где Намибия. - If you want to say you found out where it is, it is clearer if you say, "Я узнала, где находится Намибия". "Нашла" would be more like finding it on the map.

Всё не было по плану - план был идти в каток. - "Не всё вышло по плану. План был пойти на каток."

Один из друзей хожу в Пеннсилвания скоро. - "Одна из моих подруг скоро уезжает в Пенсильванию". If she is moving there permanently, then use "переезжает".

Поэтому я не увижу её через месяц. - I think you mean you will only see her for one more month, and then she will be gone. If true, you can say, "Поэтому я через месяц больше не буду её видеть", I won't be seeing her in a month.

Я не видела ничего по-французски давным давно. - I would either say, "Я давным давно не видела ничего на французском" or "Я давным давно не смотрела ничего на французском". "Фильм по-фрaнцузски" can also be understood to be a film in French style.

Я понимаю много. - "Я много понимаю" is a more natural word order here.

Edited by frenkeld on 11 July 2010 at 1:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 106 of 195
11 July 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Один из друзей хожу в Пеннсилвания скоро. - "Одна из моих подруг скоро уезжает в
Пенсильванию". If she is moving there permanently, then use "переезжает".

Поэтому я не увижу её через месяц. - I think you mean you will only see her for one more
month, and then she will be gone. If true, you can say, "Поэтому я через месяц больше не
буду её видеть", I won't be seeing her in a month.

She's going to Pennsylvania for a school program and then coming back, so she wouldn't be
leaving. I meant to say "I won't see her for a month" because the program lasts a month
and she leaves in a few days.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 107 of 195
11 July 2010 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
"I won't see her for a month" because the program lasts a month
and she leaves in a few days.

"Одна из моих подруг скоро уезжает (на месяц) в Пенсильванию". на месяц = for a month.

"Поэтому я её (целый) месяц не буду видеть" - That's why I won't see her for a (whole) month.

Variants, extras:

"Поэтому мы месяц не увидимся." - That's why we won't see each other for a month.

"Поэтому я её увижу только через месяц." - That's why I will only see her in a month.

Edited by frenkeld on 11 July 2010 at 4:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 108 of 195
12 July 2010 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
I looked at some articles from Pravda today and I understood quite a bit. I feel like I
am understanding more than I did before (which is a good feeling) and I'm starting to get
more than the gist of the article, but details are still off-limits to me. Just the
feeling that I'm progressing however makes me optimistic and want to study and read more.
:)

Also, I copied down some more vocabulary today; I just need to add it to Surusu. I'm
starting Chapter 17: Time, Age, Date, and Ordinal Numbers. I want to finish the book
before summer ends, and I intend to do so.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 109 of 195
14 July 2010 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
I went through Chapter 17 and now I'm writing down the vocabulary. Wow! I know a lot of
these words so thankfully there's not a lot of new vocabulary.

When I first started learning numbers in another language, I thought they were really
hard (although ironically, the numbers from one to ten were the first thing I learned
in French). I don't find them as difficult in French as I used to, but they're still
pretty hard. Numbers in Russian are worse - the numbers in years are pronounced very
quickly and so when I listen to them I might get one number out of four. :/ Obviously,
the answer is more exposure... but I have a feeling numbers are always a difficult
thing, no matter what language you study. I remember reading somewhere that numbers are
one of the things you grow very accustomed to doing in your native language so that
learning them in a new language is particularly hard. I think I agree with this. :P

I watched part of Москва слезам не верит (Moscow does not believe in tears). I was
pleased to see that I understood more than I did the first time I did so and I even did
some shadowing with a few phrases. However, there's still a lot I don't know. My
version of MDNBIT is the Kino one that has the subtitles actually on the film so that
you can't take them off (and obviously no other subtitles are available). I would have
preferred subtitles in Russian since the English ones are, of course, idiomatic. This
is great for moviegoers who don't want to learn Russian, but it's a problem for me
since things like "Можно" are translated as "Come in". :/ The subtitles use a lot of
English idioms, which means that the actual dialogue must have a lot of Russian idioms
which, of course, makes it harder to understand.

I'm going to be looking through my Living Language course before going to sleep and try
to lazily read through some more chapters. There's a lot of touristy stuff, but there's
also culture notes and such. And of course, there's the CDs which let me listen to the
words and dialogues. There's a lot of English on them, unfortunately, but that can be
edited out - yay, Audacity!

By the way, I also found out that LingQ is an amazing website. Seriously, I don't know
why I wasn't using it before - I was under the impression that it cost money. :o
There's a lot of dialogues about a great variety of topics. The dialogues are in mp3
format, so I can use Windows Media Player to slow them down (very useful when you're
shadowing and there's one part that's just a bit too fast for you) and speed them up
(no need to do this but hey, it's fun, and I guess it makes for a challenge if you want
to).

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 110 of 195
14 July 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I saw your post in the subforum "Русский". Here are a few corrections; I hope you don't mind.

Я живу с моим матерей и отцём. - it should be "Я живу с моей матерью и отцом." I am not sure if there is a grammar rule that says to put the adjective in the same gender as the nearest noun, but "моим" (masculine) sounds wrong here. "Я живу с моими родителями" is another way to say it.

Ето – история девочки, который любит человека с секретом. - Это - ..., которая ...

Я не смотрю русские фильмы часто. - Better word order 1: "Я не часто смотрю русские фильмы."; Another way to say it: "Я редко смотрю русские фильмы."

Я изучаю русский язык потому, что я интересуюсь советским союзом. - "Советским Союзом"; it must be capitalized since it is a (former) country.

Моя цель – это читать русские книги без трудностей. - I would skip "это" here. The dash stands for the omitted verb "to be" in the present tense.

Хочу сидеть в интернете на русском. - "сидеть" sounds weird to me here, unless some modern slangy use sanctions it. As an aside, "сидеть" can often mean to be in jail, but that's not the way it comes across here - it just doesn't sound like the right word. "Хочу пользоваться русскоязычным интернетом" would be ok, but it may not convey your idea of spending a lot of time there. "Хочу торчать в русскоязычном интернете" would be ok, but rather colloquial. "торчать" can mean to spend too much time somewhere.

Мне нравится идти в гости к моим друзьям. - use "ходить" instead of "идти"

Мы говорим о вещах, как Гарри Поттер и политике. - the right form here is "политика". You do say "говорим о политике", but exactly the way the sentence is constructed, it should be "политика".

Вроде бы, что быть взрослый, это не незаботная время. - I am not sure what this sentence means.

Не хочу стать взрослым человеком. - "(Я) не хочу стать взрослой" is better.

Edited by frenkeld on 14 July 2010 at 4:21pm

frozen
Russian Federation
Joined 5248 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, German

Message 111 of 195
14 July 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Just a little addition:

Мы говорим о таких вещах, как Гарри Поттер и политика.

"сидеть в интернете" - It's ok. русскоязычный интернет = рунет

By the way, "Jane Eyre" is usually transliterated as «Джейн Эйр».

Edited by frozen on 14 July 2010 at 5:18pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 112 of 195
17 July 2010 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
Thank for, Frenkeld and Frozen. I'll rewrite my short introduction to be correct.

I would like to post this link here before I forget it:
http://esquire.ru/speech
Make Putin talk. :o I can't think of anything too creative, though... :(

I haven't finished Chapter 17, but I looked over all the vocabulary and decided to start
with Chapter 18. I'm glad that a lot of this vocabulary is still familiar to me - it
makes me feel better! And I've seen a lot of good words, too. 12 chapters to go - if I'm
diligent, I can definitely finish in this month. Yay! And I'm trying to finish all my
work this month, too, so that August I can visit Washington D.C. I also want to study
some calculus and maybe chemistry so that I can get ahead in my studies.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version