kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5034 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 121 of 195
10 August 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Some corrections:

Здравствуйте. Я в Северной Каролине. Я не имела много времени, чтобы изучать русский.
Однако мне удалось его немного поучить. Я посетила много музеев, например национальный
авиационно-космический музей и национальный музей американских индейцев. В втором музее
я купила книгу "Beginner's Cherokee". Я съела пиццу и курицу пармезан - очень
вкусные. Я также слушала уроки Ассимиль. Я на двадцать втором уроке. (or делаю двадцать второй урок)

Best wishes!

1 person has voted this message useful

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5034 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes

Message 122 of 195
10 August 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Во втором музее.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 123 of 195
12 August 2010 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your corrections! I'll write them down somewhere. :) And it's
nice to know I got most of it right - I'm always messing up on stupid things (like
покупила instead of купила. I knew I had to use the perfective, but I thought
"well, покупила has the по- so it must be the perfective one." stupid mistakes like
that)

So yes, I am back from my trip, back home where the heat is oppressive and rain clouds
threaten me with, well, rain. :P But it's nice to be home again. I plan to finish my
Russian textbook before summer is done with, darn it! I have ten chapters left. Today
is "Verbs of Motion" and "Using свой and чтобы". Tomorrow is what is most likely the
scariest chapter in the book, "Fun with numbers". And then there's eight more lessons
devoted to bookish stuff. Hey, I like bookish stuff so I'm totally down with this. :p I
slacked off with Surusu, unfortunately. There are just way too many words to learn them
all before school starts, so I will make this promise:

PROMISE: I will finish my Russian textbook even if I have not memorized every word in
it.

Sounds great, hmm? ;) I can do the vocabulary once school starts. In my opinion,
vocabulary is the hardest part of Russian. Maybe even any language. I can wrap my brain
around irregularities and complexities and weird foreign grammar, but it's all for
naught if I don't know the darn words. Yuck.

Maybe once school starts I can write a log of my educational adventures in Russian. And
Japanese and Swedish and French. Wow, that's a lot of languages. I think I'll stick
with Russian and French until Japanese and Swedish take off.

Just for fun, one of these days I'm going to translate my Scene by Scene analysis of "A
Streetcar Named Desire". And then my essay on Jane Eyre. Which I haven't written yet.
:P

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5034 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes

Message 124 of 195
13 August 2010 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
By the way, you can make the perfect form of "покупать" in another way. That's "ПРИкупила", but it's a bit colloquial.

на всякий случай = in all cases? Maybe "на всякий случай" is "just in case"? Anyway my English isn't good at all, so... :)
качествО - quality (качествА is either plural form or means "of quality")
зависитЬ - to depend       

Edited by kraft on 13 August 2010 at 6:07pm

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 125 of 195
17 August 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Alright, thanks for that. :)

I got to Chapter 25 in my book. I sort of vaguely looked at the vocabulary, but I'll have
to get to that, of course. I remembered a few weird things: the whole "negative
transitive verbs make affected nouns become genitive" thing which I had totally forgotten
as well as some stuff about time. Right now I'm dealing with politeness and diminutives.

Oh, and some big news: the Japanese class was cancelled so I can't study Japanese now. :o
Wow, that was strange! I really didn't expect them to cancel it, but they had been
"offering" Japanese for the past few years so... :/ I was so looking forward to Japanese,
too. I guess that will wait another time. More time for Russian and Swedish, I suppose.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 126 of 195
22 August 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I learned how to say "He falls head over heels in love with American Ramona Flowers" in
Russian:
Он беспамятно влюбляется в американку Рамону Флауэрс.
I was wondering how you saw "fall in love with" in Russian; in Swedish it's "vara kär i
(person)" (lit. be in love in [person]) and in French it's "tomber amoureux de" (lit.
fall loving of [person]).

Last day of summer vacation. :/ Well, let's take a look at how far I've gotten:

561 words (+361 words from 200 words at start of log)
5 hours 7 minutes of Russian radio
A quarter of the way through Гарри Поттер
Finished reading A New Penguin Russian course!

I listened to some Mamma Mia songs in Russian and was pleased to find that I understand
them way more than I did at the start of the summer. I have definitely improved in my
Russian and I understand Harry Potter more than I did when I started. My listening
comprehension is a little better but still leaves a lot to be desired. All in all, I've
made okay progress. I clearly need to study more this year, too. I'm going to make my
new goal "Memorizing all the new words in the Penguin Russian course"; that in and of
itself should bump my word count up by at least 200. New goals:

Learn all words in new Penguin course
Read through Living Language course at least once (I'm at Unit 6 of... 11 units, I
believe)
Finish Harry Potter in Russian
Get to 15 hours of Russian radio (so I need around 10 hours. I can make this easily if
I listen to an hour every day)

As for French... well, I think I'm like a third of the way through Kiffe Kiffe Demain
(it would help if the book had a plot. It's fun to read but seriously, there's no
conflict) and I read a few of the essays in "L'Europe et la puissance". French is now
officially on the back burner. I'm still reading the news in French (I found an app for
my phone that has French news - whoo hoo!) so that my French skills don't go down the
toilet and I listen to French music every now and then, but French isn't going to be a
priority anymore.

Now... Swedish. Darn. It's embarrassing that I have better listening comprehension for
Swedish songs than for Russian songs. Just... sad. I'm starting Swedish tomorrow. I'll
try to go through a chapter of my grammar-reader every two days (one day for the
grammar, another for vocabulary). I'll be listening to a lot of Swedish music, too.
Unfortunately, my only source for Swedish radio doesn't work anymore (wtf happened to
Radio Sverige?) so I'll need to find a different source for Swedish listening.

I'm also starting Japanese in school (since its cancellation seems to be in limbo.
Nobody can give me a straight answer and I've heard conflicting things). Japanese is,
as you all know, not high up on my hit list. However, I am going to try to get as much
as possible out of my Japanese class so I can at least build a solid base for future
studies. :)

2010/2011 YEAR LANGUAGES: RUSSIAN
SWEDISH
JAPANESE

Can I take it?!

Oh, and I saw Scott Pilgrim two days ago. I am still freaking out about it. I want to
see it agaaaaaiiiiin. I need to write a review here... but that'll have to wait until I
finally finish my essays (almost done, folks!).

So, I'm preparing for another great school year in which I also study three languages
at a time. I'm at the intermediate level in Russian, kind of a beginner at Swedish (but
I know more than the normal beginner so I guess I'm one of those false beginners) and
at a total beginner level in Japanese. This should be fun!

Edited by lynxrunner on 23 August 2010 at 4:52am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 127 of 195
23 August 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
I learned how to say "He forgetfully falls in love with American Ramona Flowers" in
Russian:
Он беспамятно влюбляется в американку Рамону Флауэрс.

Forgetfully falls in love with? I am not quite sure what that means :), but "беспамятно влюбиться" means to fall in love head over heels, with abandon, etc.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 

Message 128 of 195
23 August 2010 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Oh, that makes sense! Forgetfully was just a literal translation; I looked up
"беспамятно" and I got "forgetfully". I thought "Well, that's weird but perhaps it's one
of those phrasing differences between languages." Okay, that's even better then; thank
you for clearing that up. :)

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version