Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4776 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 81 of 355
27 July 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
For me on XP this display did not change - it displays below the word . even when the word is on the bottom line of the screen.

Without the css words are not clickable.

I am not sure when and why to use this 3 options : archive - re-parse - set term sentences ?

Edited by Michel1020 on 27 July 2011 at 7:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 82 of 355
27 July 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
@Tommus Did you really copied everything at its place (INCLUDING sub directories "css", "js", etc. ??)

Yes. Exactly according to the upgrade instructions.

When the Word frame didn't work properly, I closed everything and rebooted the computer, and restarted everything. The problem with the Word window was exactly the same. It was 100% consistently at the very top of the text, and it pushed the text down to make a space for itself at the top.

Now the good news: I turned the computer off for the night. This morning, it is working perfectly. I didn't change anything. It works perfectly. No sign of the Word window going to the top. Very weird. I hope it continues to work properly. Sorry for the possible false alarm, but something caused it to work differently initially. I'll obviously let you know if the Word frame problem reoccurs.

I continue to be impressed with how good LWT is. I use it several times a day. I have a lot of text and 145,000 L2 > L1 translation word pairs. It has become a major part of my daily language learning. Thanks so much.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 83 of 355
27 July 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
@Tommus: As I wrote in the instructions:

Step 5: Clear the web browser cache and start LWT as usual... ;-)

@Michel1020:

Please read the "Help/Information" page.

(Active) texts
They have been parsed and tokenized according to the rules defined for the language.
The result ist stored in a cache of sentences and text items.
They use a lot of space in the database.
Reading with term creation/editing and dictionary lookup is possible.
Testing of a stored term that occurs in the text, is possible. A terms will be tested within the context of any
sentence(s) in all active texts
(the number of sentences may be set (1, 2, or 3) as a preference).

Archived texts
They are not parsed and tokenized, only the text is stored.
Compared with active texts, they don't use much space in the database, because no sentences and no text items
are stored.
Reading with term creation/editing and dictionary lookup is not possible.
Testing of a stored term, that occurs in the text, is possible, but a term will be tested ONLY within the context of
the sentence(s) that
has/have been stored with the term in the sentence field, if the term does not occur in any active text.

Re-Parsing is only necessary if you change something in the language settings "RegExp Split Sentences", etc.

Set term sentences
If you import terms and you don't have sentences with the term in curly brackets (they are marked red - if not -
in the terms listing),
then you can create them automatically from texts, to allow testing within sentence context. Normally a sentence
will always created.

Hope that helps...

Edited by lwtproject on 27 July 2011 at 6:54pm

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 84 of 355
27 July 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Important Notice

As this is a language learning forum, and not a software support forum, please be so kind and post your LWT
software questions, problems, etc.
here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lwt/forums/forum/1813497

No registration required.

Thank you!

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 85 of 355
28 July 2011 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
LWT 0.9.7 just released.

New: Printout of texts with optional inline annotation (translation and/or romanization) of terms that are of
specified status(es).

This is the last release before 1.0 (stable), which will come out on August 1, 2011.

So please report bugs until Sunday - thanks to everybody who tests it.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 86 of 355
29 July 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
LWT 0.9.7 just released.
So please report bugs until Sunday

I have been using this version for a couple of hours and everything is working well.

I guess to put more emphasis on language learning and less on software development, we can comment on how we are using LWT, what techniques might work best, etc. and generally exchange ideas.

I tend to concentrate on reading and spending time thoroughly understanding new or poorly known words, and improving the dictionary. For each reading article, I work on it until I have no more words as unknown (1), or in learning (2). I assign 3 to those newly learned or poorly known words, 4 to those words I know passively but not actively, 5 for those words I seem to know both passively and actively and am comfortable with, and 99 for the ones I know as well as my native language. I assign most proper nouns like peoples' names, places, etc. to Ignore unless they have a unique spelling in my target language.

I am not a person who likes testing very much so I do that part only occasionally and for a diversion. I follow the statistics regularly to see how I am doing. So far I have not gone back over texts very much to try to move words higher up in understanding, but I will do that on a semi-regular schedule.

I use the Google sentence translation a lot. With the colours and the dictionaries, etc., I find I can understand and analyse each word and each sentence much better than I can with other reading or studying techniques.

So that is a bit about how I am using LWT so far.

carlonove
United States
Joined 5745 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 

Message 87 of 355
29 July 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Has this software gotten any easier to install since page 1?

Edited by carlonove on 29 July 2011 at 6:24pm

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5177 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 88 of 355
29 July 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I don't think it is necessarily that difficult to install, just takes a while. The
instructions are perfectly clear and sufficient though they might seem a little
overwhelming to some who are used to the usual installshield wizard. It's still easier
than what you had to do when installing some programs in DOS back in the day!

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version