https://learning-wit
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 177 of 355
29 August 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
nakrian keegiat wrote:
Thanks for your continuing help and patience Michael. I've tried that link...that's the one
that gives me a blank white screen. I tried re-pasting it several times as well as refreshing it, but I still only see the
white screen.

Did you start the server?

It would be easier to help you if you follow only one installation step by step, and you tell us at which step you have
problems. Your above descriptions are not enough to help you.
1 person has voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 178 of 355
29 August 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
dleewo wrote:

I would love to see this fixed or some solution found. I started using LWT this weekend and I like it a LOT, but I
hate being tied to my computer to study.

Did you read my recommendations "Setup for iPad etc"
http://lwt.sourceforge.net/#ipad
??

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5600 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 179 of 355
29 August 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:

Did you read my recommendations "Setup for iPad etc"
http://lwt.sourceforge.net/#ipad
??

Yes I did, but as you pointed out, you still need to do a bunch of scrolling. Also, I don't like the dictionary lookup being in a popup, which translates to a new tab as I then have to keep switching tabs.

It's interesting, but I found several references that say you can scroll within a frame using 2 fingers but that doesn't seem to work. Perhaps that only works depending on how the frames are created/configured.

I realize that the reason it doesn't work is due to issues with Safari on the iPad and how they handle frames. I just wish it weren't so, or that there was a way to make it work better.

Derek

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 180 of 355
29 August 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
dleewo wrote:

It's interesting, but I found several references that say you can scroll within a frame using 2 fingers but that doesn't
seem to work. Perhaps that only works depending on how the frames are created/configured.

That doesn't seem to work.

I tried also so called i-frames (internal frames) but that doesn't work well on iPads either.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4799 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 181 of 355
29 August 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
@nakrian keegiat

I don't know about your blank page. When easyphp is open. Right-click on its icone in the right bottom corner of your screen - then on web local - then if it did not start at this point - click on the directory where you install it.

Else trabula.net16.net works well now and if this one does not there are 2 links to other online lwt on the lwt sourceforge.net

Edited by Michel1020 on 29 August 2011 at 5:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4799 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 

Message 182 of 355
29 August 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
About ipad and iphone

I am not sure how it works with ipad and Iphone.

Maybe Safari would work well with frames that are managed by the css - but this would demand a lot of work to implement.

You could have the text parts in your iphone or ipad and listen to the audio from your ipod.

Or you could use your tv as a screen for your computer and use a wireless mouse-keyboard to use LWT on your tv from your sofa.

Edited by Michel1020 on 29 August 2011 at 5:29pm

nakrian keegiat
Diglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4689 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 183 of 355
29 August 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
@nakrian keegiat

I don't know about your blank page. When easyphp is open. Right-click on its icone in the right bottom corner of your screen - then on web local - then if it did not start at this point - click on the directory where you install it.

Else trabula.net16.net works well now and if this one does not there are 2 links to other online lwt on the lwt sourceforge.net

Success!!!

I hesitated in even trying this program because I thought that the installation process would be too tough for my limited computer skills.

I saw the easy php icon in the corner and when I hover over it it says "started" so I thought it was ok. I then opened up firefox and tried the various links but none of them worked.

Right clicking then selecting "local web" opens it immediately.

Now let's see if I can figure out all the settings for Thai.

Thanks for the help.

*EDIT*

I can import a text but the only highlighted words are English proper nouns and loan words. I guess I have to change some settings before it recognizes Thai and I haven't been able to get the dictionary to load either. I use 2 different ones but for both of them the url doesn't change to the format mentioned in the help section after searching for a term. I'm going to keep trying but I'm starting to think this might all be a bit too complicated for me.

The Globefish add-on for firefox that someone mentioned works great. I can read text in my browser, use that as the dictionary (along with my others), and open an mp3 player and anki and get something similar to LWT but without the display of known/unknown words and stats. Not a bad compromise if I can't get it to work.

Edited by nakrian keegiat on 29 August 2011 at 7:59pm

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4799 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 

Message 184 of 355
29 August 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Please send your dictionary url.

I will try to get thai working.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version