United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4601 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 113 of 292
11 August 2012 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Seems you had a great time in Paris. I'm so jealous :P Would love to travel sometime.
Japan is always a major goal, but I've also recently started Hungarian, and I so want to
go see Eger.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 114 of 292
11 August 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I dream of visiting Japan one day, but flights are just too expensive. Maybe some day I'll be able to go.

My mother is still visiting from the US and I haven't done anything as far as language is concerned. I've even stopped nagging myself about studying which is definitely a bad sign.

I just got back from work. My client who works for faurecia is going on vacation so maaaybe I can devote my next three Saturday mornings to French, if I'm not too busy. My husband and I are trying to buy a house (an old fixer-upper) and that requires a lot of my attention right now. This will my biggest fall project.

Thanks to my house-buying project my language study will slow down even more (sound of Turkish grinding to a halt), but I've promised myself not to give up completely. Where there's a will and minutes to spare -- there's a way.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4601 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 115 of 292
11 August 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
There are important things in life that need attention, so don't beat yourself over it.
Looking forward to buying a new home is very exciting. Enjoy the process :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 116 of 292
24 August 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm doing my best to enjoy it but it's a bit unnerving :) Buying a house is a bit of a commitment, isn't it? The bank wants to strap us to a 30-year loan. I think once I start working full-time (a couple of years into the future) we'll be able to pay it off sooner. I hope so. 30 years is normal for a house but sounds like a long time. I'm still glad my renting days are almost behind me.

Tomorrow is Sat. and my "Saturday student" is on vacation. I'm hoping to pick up French somewhere where I left it. I try to recall stuff but I feel totally lost. What should I work on first? Irregular verbs? Reading? (nah) Listening? I have two movies I can watch tomorrow, Le Diner de Cons (I would watch again) or Un indien dans la ville (Little Indian).

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 117 of 292
25 September 2012 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
I'm still here! Sorry to my teammates out there, for not being very active in the Team this fall.

Things haven't exactly settled down for me: we're still haggling over this house-buying-thing. End of October should prove interesting since the owner is coming up from Bavaria to help with the appraisal. There's nothing to do until then.

So I've started going through a few school books for French to help keep me from forgetting verbs and vocabulary. I'm half-way through chapter 3. I listen to podcasts from time to time but my listening is not to the point where I can listen and enjoy it (it's still a lot of work), so i don't listen regularly.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6424 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 118 of 292
26 September 2012 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
There you are! I was wondering a bit about you, but I figured you were busy with house-buying. It seems to be a very complicated affair. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised if you disappear again for a while around the end of October. And then again when you actually get to move. Do you have any idea about when that will be? You must be very excited. It's a lot of work, but it's also kind of fun. You get a whole new canvas to work with.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 119 of 292
30 September 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
yep, here I am, but I'm a bit stretched. I have too many things going on. Actually there are many stops and starts in this little house-buying venture. We're actually renting the house we want, and it's on the market. Everything fits: short commute to school and work, just enough space, not to hot not to cold just right kind of thing. The problem is the price is too much because the foundation is very old. It was built back when cellars were used as refridgerators. The ground floor was renovated (we live there now) and the upper story is in a raw state and just needs a bit of wiring and some wall paper. Our landlord wants a price that's too high for the structure that it's build on and we're trying to deal with it. We've got an appraiser coming at the end of the month so..

As far as language goes I'm trying to save French from falling into that stage were it would take me ages to recall that what I've learned. I'm almost finished with chapters 4 and 5 of my book ("French-Rescue & Maintenance #1") and I hope my second book will come tomorrow.

Edited by Sunja on 30 September 2012 at 6:46pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6251 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 120 of 292
10 October 2012 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Good luck with the house-buying adventure!

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version