Diglot
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 265 of 292
28 August 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Sunja! Man, you sure packed a lot of useful info into a small space. I really appreciate you sharing your assignment (complete with the teacher's comments) with us. The German sentences I come up with are often awkward and too complicated, so this kind of thing is right up my alley.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 266 of 292
30 August 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I'm glad the information is useful. It was good for me too; it's good practice for me to write out all the rules. It helps me to remember what they are and what to watch out for. I can't say it's helping yet, he-he. I'm about to turn in my last assignment for August.

I'm trying to write more in both my languages. It's very discouraging sometimes, because I like to write like I do in English -- nice and complicated. It's not easy simplifying what I want to say. I'm working on a French letter right now. I'm looking at some sample letters: boy, to they have complicated ways of writing things!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 267 of 292
31 August 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I've stopped looking at French business letters and I've gone back to my book "Abitur-Training Französisch Sprachmittlung und Übersetzung". I thought I would try some easier translations instead of "Dans l’attente d’une réponse favorable, veuillez agréer, Monsieur, l’expression de mes sentiments les meilleurs."

Some of that stuff I just have to memorize.

Darn it. I just looked in to see if I got my homework back and it doesn't look too good...

wrote:
Verbessern Sie bitte den Stil der folgenden Sätze:
a)     Unter Zuhilfenahme eines Stemmeisens wurde die Tür geöffnet.
…Mit Hilfe/mithilfe eines einem Stemmeisens wurde die Tür geöffnet.
b)     Die Inangriffnahme der Arbeiten wurde beschlossen.
…Der Arbeitsanfang wurde beschlossen. Besser: Es wurde be-schlossen, mit den Arbeiten zu beginnen.
c)     Der Schaden ist durch die Außerachtlassung der Vorschriften ent-standen.
…Der Schaden ist durch die Missachtung der Vorschriften entstan-den. Besser: Der Schaden ist entstanden, weil die Vorschriften nicht beachtet wurden.
d)     Vor der Wiederinbetriebnahme ist die Maschine gründlich zu ölen.
…Vor der Wiederaktivierung ist die Maschine gründlich zu ölen. Bes-ser; Bevor die Maschine wieder eingeschaltet wird, muss sie gründlich geölt werden.
e)     Der Pächter ist zur Instandhaltung der Geräte verpflichtet.
…Der Pächter ist zur Wartung der Geräte verpflichtet. Besser: der Pächter muss die Geräte instand halten.
f)     Aus Ersparnisgründen fahren viele Dörfler in die Stadt.
…Um Geld zu sparen, fahren viele Dörfler in die Stadt. 
g)     Im Behinderungsfalle bitten wir um Benachrichtigung.
…Im Krankheitsfall, bitte informieren Sie uns rechtzeitig. Besser: Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns. wenn Sie verhindert sind.
h)     Bei Außerbetriebsetzung der Maschine hat Meldung an den Betriebsleiter zu erfolgen.
…Bei Abschaltung der Maschine hat Mitteilung an den Betriebsleiter zu erfolgen Besser: Der Betriebsleiter muss benachrichtigt werden, wenn die Maschine abgeschaltet wird.
Der Ausdruck eines Satzes wirkt schnell „steif“, wenn zuviele Substantive verwendet werden. Um dies zu vermeiden, sollen mögichst Verben ver-wendet werden. Da Sie „Subsantivierung“ betrieben haben, habe ich überall mal eine Beispielsatz aufgeführt, und den jeweiligen Satz mit Verben formuliert.

She still gave me 92,5 points -- whew. I almost didn't make it. I'll have to work on that letter writing, though..

Edited by Sunja on 31 August 2013 at 9:28pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 268 of 292
11 September 2013 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
I've dropped the ball. It just happened and I'm having a hard time picking up where I left off. I guess that's why I'm writing this. It seems like so much time has passed and so many things have happened, but in reality it's only been 10 days!

Time to regroup!

I finished my last Einsendeaufgabe with a one -- but barely -- and I need to keep improving my Text-Formulierungen. I'd like to write a few things at lang-8. I even have

some ESL excercises for writing business letters that I can translate, and here's a better one ---) in German, but I just haven't been able to spend any time at lang-8. I'll try to squeeze in some time for that between now and the weekend.

Work is really bothering me at the moment. I work for a school tutoring agency where I normally get paid a group rate to teach 2 up to 5 kids English. Since the spring I've started teaching 3 adult learners German. No problem. Now there's two Italian speakers that want to join the group. they want to learn English and German. Same group price, 5 adult learners of different levels (and languages). I'm feeling frustrated because now I'm getting the short end of the stick. Maybe something good will come out of it in the end. I'll try to focus on something else, but it's been on my mind this morning.

As for French, I'm not doing nearly as much as I should be to advance they way I want to, so that means I need to concentrate. I have to really focus and get creative with the learning. I've gotten through Peur de Ville and Le prisonnier du temps. Those little books have lost their allure right now. I'm back to Assimil but there's no system. I just pick up the book when I can. I'm way behind in my Anki cards and there's a flood developing; I'm making a lot of cards -- mostly of my German class materials. I'm learning vocab für Betriebsstatistik and a few words about Wortlehre that don't come from Latin. Why do I have to use "Beifügung" -- can't I just say Ajektiv? ;)

So with Anki I've got more input that I can process at the moment. The next step is to
increase review time. I have three books to finish this month, but maybe I don't have to make any more anki cards and I can cover all cards by the weekend.

I would also like to go to lang-8 for French. I've got some good people there that can correct my stuff, but A., I'm having a hard time trying to find something to write about and B., I need a chunk of time to write it. I've already written about the environment, technology and health. What else? The sky's the limit but I can't think of anything. I'm not good at rambling in French and I don'T think rambling "diary-style" would help my writing in the long run. I need to keep some structure (i.e.,intro, body, conclusion etc etc).

okay, so that's it for the moment. I'll try to get creative with squeezing minutes out of the day and we'll see where that takes me. Above all I need to try to relax and focus. I'm a bit stressed ^^

Edited by Sunja on 11 September 2013 at 9:37am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 269 of 292
13 September 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I've decided lang-8 has to be priority for French. I've given myself an "Anki-card-making-Verbot" -- I'm not allowed to make any new cards. The dam is barely holding back the flood!

I was able to write something yesterday and I have a French native in my "friends" list that gives very detailed and challenging explanations of my mistakes. I like that, of course, but I almost feel like it's too early for details. I just need to write, write, write. Quantity over quality -- tiny mistakes don't really matter right now. I translated Heureusment to "thank goodness" and it was regarded as assez peu fidèle "fairly accurate", but I'm not really interested in complete accuracy right now. I'd better stop -- I'm being critical! I'd much rather have a super detailed correction than a sloppy one "och, das geht durch". So I'm going back to lang-8 today to make some more mistakes! ;)

So why am I writing here again ? ~~ oh yes, I'm trying to figure out -a system- which will work for me right now. So, 1.) Lang-8 2.) Assimil shadowing as best I can. I have to admit, I've skipped one or two Assimil lessons. The vocabulary in them is not useful to me right now. I've finally drummed up enough courage to   skip Assimil lessons and not feel guilty! *whew* The key is, I have to have a good reason for skipping a lesson, and not just because I want to advance faster. So I've skipped ahead and I need to go over the lesson thoroughly. I haven't figured out whether writing or shadowing works best right now, so I'm going to do both.

I need to make sure I have enough time today. It all has to happen before 14:00 (the steam whistle blows), so I'd better get to it!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 270 of 292
13 September 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm definitely going to be writing a lot of French this weekend! I've made myself a mind map (I normally hate those things) of all the subjects I have to be prepared to write about and/or discuss:

myself, my family, my friends, my work, what I did during the day or yesterday, sports, kids, my favorite authors, religion (general), vacation, seasons, traffic, weather -- or any other subject people love to complain about ;)

I think that's enough. I've written about the first two already at lang-8. I'm rewriting all corrected material and putting it in a folder.

It doesn't do me much good if they stay in the folder, though. I should try to memorize at least chunks of my lang-8 writings. I'll have to work out how to do that. Anki or no anki? That is the question!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 271 of 292
14 September 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
I finished writing the first five. Now I plan to move on to German for the remainder of the weekend.

I decided not to use Anki for my little pile of French writings. That would overload my cards. The writings are not too wordy, only about 100 words a piece, but that would be weird for Anki. I've done that before and it's exhausting when it comes time to review the cards. Nothing but long paragraphs of text. Blah. So I've decided to put everything in a word document, in which I've boxed each -- let's call them "mini-monologues" -- and they're set for print.

I think the idea of using a Word doc will work out fine. I plan to tweak each monologue every time I learn new details or new formulations. There's plenty of room for expansion.

So I'm excited about my batch of mini-monologues. Let's just forget what I said about my writing having "intro, body and conclusion". I'll write what I can actually speak. It's important to practice more advanced texts, but I have the problem of using linguee (I'm a linguee-junkie) and when I go back a week later to re-read my lang-8 entries, I can't decipher what I've written. That's not exactly helpful.

Monday I'll do monologues of the rest: sports, kids, my favorite authors, religion (general), vacation, seasons, traffic, weather

Edited by Sunja on 14 September 2013 at 6:02pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5865 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 272 of 292
14 September 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I loved the "wie man den Fehlerteufel jagt" post. Very useful stuff indeed. Thanks for sharing.

BAnna wrote:
I am truly astounded and very impressed by your (and others') ability to do Anki/flashcards, which I unfortunately find to be hellish. Alas.

Me too, BAnna, me too.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version