forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 153 of 292
20 January 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
[...] Since school learning was (and is) not elitist, the pace was not fast (to say the least). At that age, you soak up everything, much more at a relaxed pace.[...]
I don't see the connection between pace and elitism. Are you implying that requiring any effort from kids is "elitist"?

Anyway, my experience about soaking up everything at that age couldn't be more different: *I* soaked up everything, everyone else didn't -- which is why I felt increasingly estranged of my schoolmates over time. If you ask me, the reason for those different results is a difference in the base: back when we were at school, I was interested in all subjects (especially at that basic, ground-breaking, door-opening level) while the other kids weren't, so even if most people retain something for a while it won't stick. The mere existence of 'do you know more than a primary school kid?'-type telly programs seems to hint that this is (sadly) the general case, but...

Edited by mrwarper on 20 January 2013 at 11:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 154 of 292
20 January 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Ich habe noch mal ein neues Buch gekauft, muss _ mir jedoch eingestehen, dass die Aufarbeitung _ meiner kommunikativen Fähigkeit sinnvoller wäre. Trotzdem will ich meine Vokabelkenntnisse erweitern, also habe ich jetzt „Abitur-Training Französisch – Themenwortschatz“ vom Stark Verlag gekauft. Ich habe schon die Seiten 1-26 erledigt und _ versuche mehr freies Schreiben zu üben (lang-8). Einer meiner Beiträge ist ganz spannend: Als ein Kunde von mir in Portugal auf Geschäftsreise war, hat jemand ihm K.O.-Tropfen gegeben und ihn dann ausgeraubt. Man muss wirklich auf der Hut sein! Er hat einen Gin _ Tonic in einer Restaurant-Kneipe bestellt und danach konnte er sich an nichts mehr erinnern. Als er zu sich kam, stand er vor dem Restaurant, Portemonnaie und Handy waren weg. Er hatte aber seine Kreditkarten noch bei sich. Natürlich hat er die portugiesische Polizei alarmiert, aber sie konnte (oder wollte) nichts tun.

"Kundin" would be a female client. If you're talking about a man, you have to say "Kunde". "Sobald" cannot be used here, as it denotes the beginning of an action. You have to use "als" here. "Polizei" is a singular word in German, so you have to use the verb in the singular as well. If you want to use plural, you would have to say "Die Polizisten konnten (oder wollten) nichts tun".

Ansonsten sehr gut! :)

Edited by Josquin on 20 January 2013 at 3:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 155 of 292
28 January 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Ich war ich so müde, ich habe nicht aufgepasst und das alles hier aus versehen gelöscht. Hoppla!

Edited by Sunja on 23 February 2013 at 4:43pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4427 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 156 of 292
03 February 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Nice progress! Isn't it great and awful at the same time that there are so many different resources out there? It can feel good to just muscle through something start to finish so you see the progress, but sometimes you just want to wander or you get bored. And then of course, you have to tread the fine line between what is fun and what is effective. Clearly you are progressing, so you seem to have found the sweet spot that works for you.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 157 of 292
03 February 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
thank you BAnna! I thought I was getting nice and comfortable, but it looks like I may have to cut back a little this month. There's already a bit of a "speed bump" in February so I won't be going as fast as I'd like to. I'll probably even have to slow down. I'll make my course top priority (SKR03). I've already got one piece of writing (tiny, really) ready to go for lang-8. I'd like to keep writing if I can.

I got my marks back for WSH01 -- 94/100 It's really nice that I'm not in over my head with the course!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5866 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 158 of 292
04 February 2013 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Luso wrote:
[...] Since school learning was (and is) not elitist, the pace was not fast (to say the least). At that age, you soak up everything, much more at a relaxed pace.[...]
I don't see the connection between pace and elitism. Are you implying that requiring any effort from kids is "elitist"?

No. I was saying that the normal school pace was relaxed for me. Maybe the choice of the word "elitist" was a bit too relaxed in itself. I meant to say that, since teachers strived not to let students fall behind, they had to repeat things often.

Edited by Luso on 04 February 2013 at 7:29am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 159 of 292
06 February 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Leider habe ich meinen Entwurf für lang-8 verlegt -- *doh!*

Heute hat mir der Postbote das hier geliefert: SKRO3, SKR04, WSH02, WSH03. Diese Hefte werden mich noch eine Weile beschäftigen...ich habe mindestens drei Monate^^. Abends lese ich aus meinem Buch "Tout est sous controle". Ich habe dieses Buch seit Jahren und bin nur bei Kapitel 3-fast-4. Ich mag die Charakterisierung der Hauptfigur und obwohl die im Buch enthaltene Wortspiele nicht so sehr gut rüberkommen, ist es sehr interessant zu sehen wie sich alles aus dem Englischen übersetzen lässt.

edit: Satzbaufehler

Edited by Sunja on 06 February 2013 at 2:52pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 160 of 292
06 February 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Super, keine Fehler! Du hast nur ein Komma vergessen, aber das passiert ja sogar Muttersprachlern ziemlich oft:

Sunja wrote:
ist es sehr interessant zu sehen, wie sich alles aus dem Englischen übersetzen lässt.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version