luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5633 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 33 of 292
16 February 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
You're right about Japanese cooking being high salt. It's supposed to be really healthy, but I'm
not so sure about that. In my experience, there is a lot of salt and often too little fresh vegetables. Also, they eat a
lot of white rice. Of course the seaweed and natto are good for you, as is fish.

I hope you manage to fix both your blood pressure and your teeth without too much trouble.

The nice thing about it for home cooking though is that you can change that some. My fiance and I eat veggie
stirfries almost every night. We serve them over a small amount of rice-sometimes white, sometimes brown- and
there's quite a bit of veg. per person, although not that much tofu so it's still kind of low-protein, sadly. If you keep
the soy sauce minimal and don't add any salt at all to the rice, the sodium's not so bad.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 34 of 292
17 February 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
You're right about Japanese cooking being high salt. It's supposed to be really healthy, but I'm
not so sure about that. In my experience, there is a lot of salt and often too little fresh vegetables. Also, they eat a
lot of white rice. Of course the seaweed and natto are good for you, as is fish.

I hope you manage to fix both your blood pressure and your teeth without too much trouble.

The nice thing about it for home cooking though is that you can change that some. My fiance and I eat veggie stirfries almost every night. We serve them over a small amount of rice-sometimes white, sometimes brown- and there's quite a bit of veg. per person, although not that much tofu so it's still kind of low-protein, sadly. If you keep the soy sauce minimal and don't add any salt at all to the rice, the sodium's not so bad.

@Brun Ugle: oo, I love seaweed and natto. I have to be careful with the nori sheets
   p(´⌒`。q)   even though I think iodine-rich foods are supposed to be good for hypertension (?) -- I'll have to check that. The one thing I've noticed about Japanese cooking is all the pickled veggies (like daikon). I had a Japanese coworker who said the reason why the Japanese pickle their vegetables is because that used to be the only way to preserve them over the winter. I loved the little pickled garnish I used to get with my Bento. *sigh* But the great thing about the age we live in is that every sort of diet is available. We can eat ourselves healthy again after (in my case) years and years of eating on the go.

@Luai_lashire My husband makes an awesome stir-fry with Mie-noodles on Mondays. It's not as good without salt, but I'm getting used to it. We always throw in shiitake mushrooms, porree and whatever else is in the fridge. As for rice, one of my favorite rice dishes is Japanese curry (hhmmmm) I like the packaged stuff ("Golden Curry"). I have to allow myself to have that -- not very often -- but every once and a while!

Edited by Sunja on 17 February 2012 at 9:47am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 35 of 292
17 February 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I've been working on pièges (stumbling blocks/Stolpersteine) in French grammar and having fun translating everthing in Ger, Fr, Eng. I have these rules from http://www.synapse-fr.com

FR: Le participe passé conjugué avec l' auxiliaire "avoir" s'accorde en genre et en nombre avec le complément d'objet direct (COD), si celui-ci est placé avant.
ENG: the past participle conjugated with the auxiliary verb "avoir" agrees in gender and in number with the object, if the object is before it (the PP)
GER: steht vor dem Passé Composé ein direktes Objektpronomen (le, la, les bzw me,te,se,nous,vous), dann passt sich das Participe Passé (PP) an dieses Objekt in Geschlecht und Zahl an.

Tu les as prises.
Je ne les ai pas trouvés.

FR: Si le complément d'objet direct est placé après ou s'il n'existe pas, le participe passé conjugué avec "avoir" reste invariable :
ENG: If the object (COD) is found after the PP or it doesn't exist, the past participle (PP) conjugated with "avoir" remains unchanged.
GER: Stehen die Objekte nach dem Partizip, oder es gibt keine, so gibt es 'nichts' zu beachten!

Tu as pris les photos.
Je n'ai pas trouvé les billets.

Here is a very complicated but logical French explanation of past participles and reflexive verbs, taken from http://www.synapse-fr.com

Les verbes pronominaux se conjuguent avec l' auxiliaire "être". Mais certains pronominaux dits "réfléchis" (le sujet fait l'action sur lui-même : Il se lave) et "réciproques" (plusieurs sujets font l'action les uns sur les autres : Ils se réconcilient) sont parfois transitifs directs et assimilés avec les verbes se conjuguant avec l' auxiliaire "avoir" (accord avec le complément d'objet direct si celui-ci précède).

- le pronom réfléchi : Elle s'est blessée = Elle a blessé qui? (souvenez-vous : le verbe est traité comme s'il était conjugué avec "avoir", donc la question se pose avec l'auxiliaire "avoir"), elle a blessé qui? = "se" mis pour elle-même = COD placé avant = accord.

- un élément autre que le pronom réfléchi : celui-ci peut être placé après et il n'intervient pas dans l'accord (Elle s'est blessé la main). Mais il peut être placé avant et force l'accord (La main qu'elle s'est blessée).

Relfexive verbs (verbs that need a reflexive pronoun) are conjugated with "être". But certain "reflexives" (the subject does the action on himself: He washes himself) and "reciprocals" (several subjects do the action of themselves on others: They reconcile themselves) are sometimes transitive and assimilate with the verbs conjugated with the auxiliary "to have" (agreement with the direct object if it precedes the verb).

- The reflexive pronoun: she injured herself = Who did she hurt? Remember: the verb is treated as if it were conjugated with "avoir", thus the question arises with the auxiliary "to have", Who did she hurt? = put "se" for herself = direct object is before the verb = agreement.

Elle s'est blessée.

- An element other than the reflexive pronoun: this 2nd object can be placed at the end and there's no agreement (She injured herself the hand).

Elle s'est blessé la main.

But the 2nd object can be placed in front and that will force the agreement with the past participle (The hand which she injured).

La main qu'elle s'est blessée

BOAH, alter. That's tough ey. I think I confused myself (◎ー◎;)

And that's not all, but that's all for now..

Edited by Sunja on 17 February 2012 at 11:38am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 36 of 292
19 February 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
yippeeee, good news! I was the highest bidder for the Assimil Türkisch Ohne Mühe on Ebay!

ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ

only 12 euros! I've been patient and I finally got what I wanted. Well -- almost -- there's the catch that the audio is on cassettes. But still, no problem! I have an old Walkman. The main thing is I have Assimil to learn Turkish with.

I'm so glad I didn't give in and buy something less effective from Amazon. I was really close to getting a Turkish program from Langenscheidt but it only would have been a beginner program and I would have had to buy something else eventually anyway.

I can't wait until it gets here!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6425 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 37 of 292
19 February 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Lucky you! Ebay intimidates me so I've never tried it, but I think if you're lucky you can get some great bargains there. Maybe I should try sometime.

I've never been fond of salt in food myself. Yet I like it on things like potato chips, just not on regular food. And if I eat salty food at night, I can't sleep.

Another thing you have to avoid is licorice. It raises the blood pressure too. It's not just the candy, make sure you don't get any herbal teas or anything like that with licorice in it either. I love licorice myself, so it's a good thing I don't have high blood pressure. In Norway, they even have salty licorice. It's nasty. I don't know how they stand it. They also have some with ammonium chloride powder in them. Now, THAT can't be healthy. Norwegians eat some strange things.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 38 of 292
24 February 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
They also have some with ammonium chloride powder in them. Now, THAT can't be healthy. Norwegians eat some strange things.

Some things are just culturally engrained. I remember thinking that a Mettbrötchen mit Zwiebeln (pork tartar with onions on a roll) was the strangest thing, but it's actually pretty tasty. My kids don't eat some American foods. My mother brings stuff over all the time. She brought a mix to bake cookies and the kids didn't like them. Too sweet. Of course I ate them - reminded me of home!

whoa, there I go daydreaming about cookies -- I have to remember why I'm here.

New Japanese link for me that I want to stick here. I can remember some kanji better if I learn the stroke order. I never learned stroke order since... when am I ever going to need it? But it's been helping me with some of the more stubborn can't-get-them-into-my-head-kanji.

There's another stroke order guide on the web (can't remember, maybe I'll look it up later) but this one is all Japanese that means I won't waste any time reading about the kanji and I'll just pay attention to the strokes. okay I gotta go pick up my kids..

edit: the other stroke order guide is denshi jisho.

Edited by Sunja on 25 February 2012 at 3:31pm

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5633 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 39 of 292
24 February 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

Another thing you have to avoid is licorice. It raises the blood pressure too. It's not just the candy, make sure you
don't get any herbal teas or anything like that with licorice in it either. I love licorice myself, so it's a good thing I
don't have high blood pressure. In Norway, they even have salty licorice. It's nasty. I don't know how they stand it.
They also have some with ammonium chloride powder in them. Now, THAT can't be healthy. Norwegians eat some
strange things.

Not to further derail the thread, but I wanted to mention my favorite Norwegian food- waffles with brown cheese,
sour cream, and jam! Mmmmmm, so good! Normally I don't eat jam at all and the idea of putting all those
toppings together sounded crazy to me when I first heard it, but it's sooooo good. Norwegian brown cheese is
sweet and sharp, so it goes well with the other toppings. :3

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 40 of 292
27 February 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Oh please, derail away! It makes things more interesting. I've never heard of brown cheese -- is it smoked? -- but I love to try different things. The only cooking I'm vaguely familiar with in that part of the world is Swedish - herring, köttbullar and lindenberries.

Okay I think it's time for an update. This was a pretty good week, I have to say. I had to go way back to January 2 to find the little flag for German (it's been that long? shame on me!)

GERMAN:

Konjunktiv, indirekte Rede -- 1,40

I've just started tutoring a couple of school kids who are in the 6,7 class and so I'll probably downshift my grammar to something a little more appropriate for that level, like Adverbialebestimmungen. The Konjunktiv excercises went well, though, -- no major problems.

FRENCH:

"Using French", lessons 44-46, walking and listening -- 3,3

I've started jogging and that makes shadowing French nearly impossible, but I've been listening attentively the whole time. I really enjoy nipping out for a jog and so this part of my learning routine should stay fixed (I hope). Spring is coming! ^^

Tout est sous contrôle -- 1,45

I also have a French translation +MP3 of Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller and I've started reading it again. Sometimes I forget the book and just listen to Fédor Atkine's gorgeous voice from the French audio. I don't do L+R because he speaks too fast for me to follow the text, but when I concentrate on listening alone I can make out what he says -- as long as I've read it first. I've been putting everything I find useful onto flashcards, which makes reading slow. Hugh Laurie's British wit translated into French is far more fun than flashcards of the vocabulary in Assimil. I'm in chapter 2.

JAPANESE:

Unit 2 ユニット「2」セクッション「-~ 十」 -- 2,0

I'm getting into Unit 2, even though I'm not so sure I can remember how to write 新宿 or a couple of other kanji from Unit 1. What I CAN do is translate verbally from the English to Japanese. So I'm moving ahead to Unit2,Section4

TURKISH:

"Groovy Basics", 10 minutes per song -- 1,30

I haven't gotten my copy of Assimil yet -- where's my Japanese emoticon for "crying"?
-- s(・`ヘ´・;)ゞ okay "displeased" will do for now. It's possible that it's still stuck in the mail. That's the risk I have with Ebay!

No matter. I'm gonna learn Turkish Assimi or no Assimil! I'm already on the third song, "Otelde" ("In the Hotel") boy it's really different. Just when I think I know how to pronounce it from the CD inlet, the speaker comes in and throws me something I can barely make out. It's going to take awhile before I'm in sync with it. So far the songtext is really useful and it's pretty entertaining, too. Like the phrase "When's breakfast?" (translated from German) and then the next line is "But for God's sake not just döner!" Ama Allah aşhkına sadece döner olmasın (lol). To move away from this stereotype and obvious point of humor between Germans and Turks, here's a nice Turkish breakfast

hmm! more food! I think I may have to try that... This site also quite a few breakfast words for my flashcard deck.

That reminds me, last but not least, where I spent most of my study time:

Writing, working with flashcards, Anki -- 4,35

These cards include all the vocab from my Turkish CD, my French novel, Japanese Unit 2, and some B1/B2 stuff from the Ashcombe School French videos which I think I should know.

Edited by Sunja on 27 February 2012 at 11:36am

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version