Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 17 of 292
06 January 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Is Tae Kim's Grameri Sitesi real good? I mean, does it include damn hard Japanese grammar points as well, or only basic ones?

Hi Takato! Yes, I think so, I've been covering just the basics since I don't know Turkish at all, but judging from this table of contents, it looks like it covers all of the JLPT 2 -- which is more than I need for Turkish right now!

The following is perhaps too much information, but for anyone who's interested....

Basically all I'm doing right now is comparing grammar particles:

ボブは日本行った。- Bob Japonya'ya gitti.
部屋くる - Odaya gelmek.

Without knowing but a handful of turkish words (like "room" and "go") I can figure out that corresponds to the Turkish particle ya.

There's differences in usage of course but I'm only looking to get a "survival understanding" of Turkish right now. I figure if I'm ever stranded in Antalya admist non-English speakers I'll know how to use "ya".

(Japanese doesn't have the personal pronoun particles that Turkish does and I'm also learning how to flex those right now..... Now I'm reminded how much I need to go over those again...)

Edited by Sunja on 06 January 2012 at 11:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4852 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 18 of 292
08 January 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info. Then I'll print the pdf. It's a pitty that there's no pdf in German nor in Spanish...

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 19 of 292
10 January 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
School has started again and it's Tuesday (already!!) I didn't quite make it to 14 hours:

FRENCH:
listen and/or repeat "Using French" - 1,30
outdoor walking, shadowing "Using French" - 1,10
Grammar excercises (l'article défini et indéfini; partitif) - 2,30

JAPANESE:
writing/copying Unit 2 ユニット「二」セクッション「-~ 十」 - 0,35
kanji work from Unit 1 - 1,00

TURKISH:
ANKI, adding new entries, French, Japanese, Turkish sentences - 4,22

I found something that's going to keep me busy: N5 vocabuarly list. I've decided to look up sentences for (most of) these words in Tatoeba and then find the Turkish translations. I was jumping between Tatoeba and Anki for at least three hours Saturday night -- way past my bedtime! Finding sentences for the JLPT N5 is really great for building a basic Turkish vocabulary. And it's more fun than FSI Turkish! (But I left FSI Turkish for other reasons..)

So as an example, for the transitive verb 開ける 

Pencereyi aç lütfen.
Pencereyi açmayın.
Pencere açabilir misiniz?

I decided to input three versions of the verb "açmak", imperative, negative and used with an auxiliary. I'm starting to see some patterns, but I'm still far from learning it.

I didn't reach my goal of 7 hours with "Using French" but I'm doing okay. I'm not moving very fast but my rate of comprehension is getting better.

I did more walking this past week and that's a good sign, not only for my French listening/shadowing skills, but also for my health. I have three appointments with the physical therapist this week and then it's back to the surgeon for him to check my shoulder. I've gotten to the point where I can raise my arm past 90°. I've even started doing a few yoga excercises. - wow - I haven't been able to do yoga since the accident in September...

edit: 90 "degrees" not 90 "percent"!

Edited by Sunja on 10 January 2012 at 8:24pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 20 of 292
10 January 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
After reading my last post, I think I have too many things going on. I don't want to spend too much time with grammar, Anki and Tatoeba. I rather need to spend more time working on my listening and speaking! (The ability to speak French is so close and yet soooo faaar awaaay.) So I'm making a small, short-term goal. If I make it I get to celebrate by looking up Japanese words in Tatoeba to my heart's content

Goal: from 3:00 (now) to the time of my next appointment (tomorrow 9:00am) nothing but FRENCH

(I have to make it "official" otherwise I won't do it^^)

fortheo
United States
Joined 4840 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 21 of 292
11 January 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
It's always upsetting when school/work starts to take away from our precious study times!!!

It is somewhat ironic that for a lot of young language learners, school is somewhat of a blockade in their language learning.

Anyways, as long as you schedule things appropriately and stay focused you will continue to make good progress :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 22 of 292
11 January 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement fortheo! My "scheduling" bombed this morning. I have an appointment at 3:00 and not 9:00 -oops-. But at least I got some French done.

I understand completely if school keeps language learning out for students. I remember (many moons ago) learning for 5-6 different subjects semester after semester. It's hard!

these days I give English lessons to an older gentleman who commutes to work on the French border and he also feels "blocked". He says to me, (in Hessisch) "es geht nichts mehr in die Birne rein" (lol) "nothing gets through to my head". I tell him to relax with a coffee break and pull out a list of vocab. His problem is that he gets frustrated when he sees how much there is yet to learn. Then it's not so relaxing..

Something fun: I just got my CD "Groovy Basics" (cute!) where I can learn basic Turkish sentences to quaint Turkish-sounding (?) music. The sentences are first said it German and then a Turkish speaker comes in and repeats the translation two ways.

FUN! When I've finished I'll be able to say basic stuff like "I'm allergic to nuts" in turkish! The music is a bit distracting when I'm trying to hear the pronunciation but this is going to be great to listen to while I'm cooking..

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 23 of 292
13 January 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
I feel like I have to log in how much I'm enjoying my new CD^^

It has phrases that I can relate to lıke, "sorry, but I don't understand a thing"

hiç bir şey anlamıyorum

one of the ways I like to learn vocab is using opposites and there's a great song "the number song" that teaches the main ones "more or less", "big or small", "long or short"

...oops the time is getting away from me, I've got an appointment at 10:40....

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5889 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 24 of 292
17 January 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
FRENCH:
Aujourd'hui en France MP3, France24 - 1,30
outdoor walking, shadowing "Using French" - 1,40
Grammar excercises - 1,50
Ashcombe School French videos B1 - 1,50

JAPANESE:
listening Unit 2 ユニット「二」セクッション「-~ 十」 - 0,30

TURKISH:
listen/and or repeat Turkish (Groovy Basics) one song, 10 min. - 2,00

I'm keeping my learning routine nice and varied! I hope that's not a bad thing. I've read some forum members say that too much variation in a learning routine is not good; that it's good to stick with one set of materials only. I'm not sure myself.

French is the priority until June. I'm working with a French newspaper article this week. I have a subscription to MP3 files for articles taken from Aujourd'hui en France: http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/internet-vos-enfants-ne-peu vent-plus-s-en-passer-12-10-2011-1649976.php The article is "moyen". I listened the first time and I knew what it was about but couldn't make sense of the numbers/statisics quoted. The good news is that listening and comprehension got better after I shadowed it a few times. By the third time I was able to match a natural, native tempo. I'm happy about that! Sometimes I get lost in the word order when I try to shadow, but it's nothing that a little more practice won't fix! The other thing I'm doing is using the French videos from the Ashcombe school to review and practice B1 material. I've also gone back to my old Michel Thomas Anki deck. I'm not sure how long I'll stay with it. Another thing I'm doing is watching old Star Trek DVDs, dubbed and subbed, but that's just to unwind after a long day..

Not much Japanese this past week. I'll try to remedy that in the next 7 days!

I'm gathering a passive knowledge of Turkish --and I'm going at a real snail's pace,too. I'll try to learn the basics, one song at a time. I'm almost done with the the "how are you-song" and I'm looking forward to track 2.   My kids think this CD is halarious. The background music and the exagerrated way of speaking makes it kind of kitschy.

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version