Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 241 of 292
04 August 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
As for German, I'm going to try to finish up the current assignment. I think the reading will go quickly. After I send in my homework assignment, I'll be back on course schedule -- then I won't have that feeling of constantly lagging behind.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 242 of 292
04 August 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Wenn ich nur einen Schwachpunkt zu nennen hätte, dann wäre es das Hörverständnis. Ich konnte mich problemlos verständigen, aber immer wenn ich eine Antwort bekam, hatte ich Probleme -- meine Achillesferse im Französischen! Einmal waren wir an einer Tankstelle und an der Zapfsäule gab's ein Schildchen "payer avant de se servir" oder so was, aber als ich dann versuchte, dem Mann das Geld zu geben, hat er mir gesagt, ich sollte erst tanken. Das war verwirrend. Ein anderes Mal war im Restaurant: wir waren zu sechst und ich war so stolz, alle Bestellungen reibungslos auf die Reihe gekriegt zu haben -- dann musste mein Mann alles komplizierter machen. Er wollte etwas Spezielles darauf haben und die Serveuse hat alle Möglichkeiten so schnell runtergerattert, dass ich nur "du beurre" verstanden habe. Eigentlich sind solche Zwischenfälle normal, wenn man ein fremdes Land besucht, aber ich war, ehrlich gesagt, ein bisschen enttäuscht. Ich hatte gedacht, ich wäre gut vorbereitet. Nicht schlimm. Ich habe etwas nachzuholen.

In ungefähr 3 Wochen geht die Schule wieder los. Ich musste heute Schulsachen kaufen. Morgen muss ich wieder arbeiten, aber es sieht so aus, als ob ich heute nachmittag ein bisschen Zeit für mich habe, also..

.. vielleicht kann ich etwas für mein Hörverständnis tun..

Ich habe auch ziemliche Probleme mit gesprochenem Französisch, du bist also nicht allein! ;) Ich muss aber auch zugeben, dass ich nichts dagegen mache. Vielleicht sollte ich mal französische Filme oder Fernsehen schauen, aber jedes Mal, wenn ich es versuche, gebe ich nach ein paar Minuten verzweifelt auf.
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5787 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 243 of 292
04 August 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I think that French listening is tricky too. Vowels disappear and words all flow together,
which is not represented in the clear speech used in most learner materials (or, for that
matter, most teachers I've had). I think this gap between clear speech and normal speech is
much bigger in French than it is in German or Japanese. I guess as always practice makes
perfect!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 244 of 292
04 August 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Yep. French has a lot of liaisons. To speed up my recall of French sentences in Anki, I often write chunks of the language in Lautschrift (for example loo-ii-on-ey for "Je lui en ai vendu un"). Of course my Lautschrift is never quite accurate since it's a mess of German and English but it works and for some reason I can recall it (visually) better than the real spelling. This carries the extra step of going from the phonetic spelling to grammar, words and syntax. Sometimes I can reproduce it phonetically, but I have to pause a few extra seconds to figure what it is I'm saying. It's a bit backwards, but it's interesting.

Edited by Sunja on 04 August 2013 at 11:08pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 245 of 292
05 August 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Oh, Josquin, thank you for the correction! It was so late last night when I posted last that I forgot to look at it.

I'm feeling pretty positive about my log. I think this is the first year I may actually finish TAC. We have about 6 months to go, so I won't be counting my chickens yet. "Man soll den Tag nicht vor dem Abend loben."

I wish we could see an updated list of who's still in TAC. I watch almost every day to see who keeps up with their logs, but we've also lost soo many, that it would be nice to have an update to see who's in the last etappe.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4427 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 246 of 292
08 August 2013 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Hi Sunja
Your log is great. I certainly do hope you keep it up through the rest of the year.

Like you, I do also wonder about how many others are still (or not) hanging in there and hope people feel ok that
they can take a break and come back whenever they wish, since no one is comparing or judging. This is all just
for ourselves, right? Of course, it is probably like gym memberships in January: a flurry of good intentions, then
as time goes on, people do drop out. Some folks might be still working on their language, but don't feel the
need to log it. Sometimes I wince at my own log as just an ego trip and ask myself what's the point, but on the
other hand, it's a way to see actual progress, which is not always apparent, especially as one moves out of the
first flush of beginning language learning when it seems so deceptively easy. Ideally we could support each other
through our logs or the Schnitzel log when the going gets hard.

Maybe others who have done TACs before can provide some insight: are there certain teams that keep more
active members? and do they nudge inactive folks?   Of course, actively reaching out to some people could turn
them off even more.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 247 of 292
08 August 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Of course, it is probably like gym memberships in January: a flurry of good intentions, then
as time goes on, people do drop out.

ha-ha, what a great analogy. So true.

BAnna wrote:
Sometimes I wince at my own log as just an ego trip and ask myself what's the point, but on the other hand, it's a way to see actual progress, which is not always apparent, especially as one moves out of the first flush of beginning language learning when it seems so deceptively easy.

you're dedicated to learning the language -- and you work full-time! I draw inspiration from that.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 248 of 292
08 August 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
*whew* I only have about 10 minutes this morning.

Yesterday I was on the computer all day. My latest Einsendeaufgabe is finished and ready for dispatch! I'm familiar with MS Word but doing this latest assignment has made me realize how much of Word I -don't- know. So I've started yet another ANKI DECK, with pictures and Tastaturkombinationen (woo-hoo! time-savers!)

Instead of using English, I've used Paint to copy pictures the stuff, then I give the German word

Erstzeileneinzug
Einfügemarke/Schreibmarke
Absatzmarke

other words like Absatzausrichtung and "umbrochen" -- I need to learn those, too. My PC is German so I could simply just place the cursor over the thing and see the QuickInfo of what it is, but I have to be able to recognize and use these words for the test (theory) at the end of the year.

So that's it for German.

For French I'm inputting every word I come across while reading/listening in Anki. I don't know how many words I have so far, but I'm sure I'll reach the 1 000 mark very soon. I'm inputting about 50-100 per day. (I've gotten pretty fast with the keyboard shortcuts!)

I don't have much time I have today and I've got a list of words from a long French article that I need to pack in Anki before I have to leave -- so I'd better get to it...

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version