Kappa
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5325 days ago

99 posts - 172 votes 

Message 41 of 292
27 February 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Howdy!

I know it's a typo but it should be セクション. And that set of Kanji shouldn't be so hard.
新 = 立 + 木 + 斤
宿 = ウ + イ + 百
:)

Ooh, I love Hugh Laurie. I still sometimes go back to the episode of FRIENDS and just enjoy that scene on the plane with Jennifer Aniston (you know, they were on a break.. and Hugh agrees.) His accent is so awesome, although these days he has to put on an American one on House. He even had to do a "fake" British accent. Okay, I'm now off to watch some Blackadder!

Happy learning!
Kappa
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5633 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 42 of 292
27 February 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Oh please, derail away! It makes things more interesting. I've never heard of brown cheese -- is it
smoked? -- but I love to try different things. The only cooking I'm vaguely familiar with in that part of the world is
Swedish - herring, köttbullar and lindenberries.

I don't know a thing about cheese so I don't know if it's smoked, but based on the taste and texture I'm pretty sure
it's not. It may very well be called something totally different in other countries; I get mine from Wegmans and they
just call it "Norwegian Brown Cheese". Lingenberries are really good with it!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 43 of 292
28 February 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Kappa wrote:
Howdy!

I know it's a typo but it should be セクション. And that set of Kanji shouldn't be so hard.
新 = 立 + 木 + 斤
宿 = ウ + イ + 百
:)

You make it sound so easy! :) 新 is not so much the problem. I remember a story from "Remembering the Kanji" and I think it had something to do with a red pepper and an ax! But when it comes to words like 親切, 新宿, I have trouble remembering the last group. I just have to work with them a little more...

Luai_lashire wrote:

I don't know a thing about cheese so I don't know if it's smoked, but based on the taste and texture I'm pretty sure
it's not. It may very well be called something totally different in other countries; I get mine from Wegmans and they
just call it "Norwegian Brown Cheese". Lingenberries are really good with it!

I just checked out the Wegmans site and I like those "wellness keys". Wow, if I had that at the store I shop at I wouldn't need to think or read labels at all! That would be great...

Oh and I'm very happy because my Assimil came today!!! I feel pretty sheepish for getting so worried about it, but sometimes Ebay can be risky. Good that everything worked out! I'm really excited and who wouldn't be - new language, new Assmil! So I'll try to steal some time out of the day so I can endulge!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 44 of 292
03 March 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm feeling a little bit "spread out" this week. I've just started working over 10 hours, which is good, I have to pay some bills. I don't get to study my languages at work, although I'm trying very hard to nonchalantly pick the brain of my only Turkish student. He's in my Fri. class for his English. I've started trying to translate what he says in German. Last Friday he said "Ich bin so müde" (He says that every Friday,) and I said "sen çok yorgunsun" -- of course I conjugated the verb wrong. I'll have to work on those verbs.

I'm absolutely loving Assimil Turkish. What a bargain. It seems more packed than French with Ease but that's probably just my imagination. I'm not going to make the same mistake that I did with French -- I'm going to finish this one! I have one itsy-bitsy criticism: They speak way too slow. I understand why they do it, but it's getting in the way of my comprehension. There's an average of a 1-2 second pause between words and they draw out every syllable. I really have to concentrate. I think it would be better if they just spoke normally. I like my CD "Groovy Basics". There Turkish is spoken at native speed. I guess it's good to have both.

"Using French" is turning into a bit of a headache. The lessons are getting boring again. I have to be persistent! I'm trying to psyche myself up for tomorrow. Sunday is the only day I don't have to work and I want to get a lot done. I'm feeling a bit unmotivated in French. Taking that online French proficiency test from CIEP didn't help any. it placed me at A1. Hello? Did I not take the test?

I'll just plow on ahead. I'm looking forward to my French book. The Ashcombe School videos are also fun to practice with..

Edited by Sunja on 03 March 2012 at 7:35pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 45 of 292
05 March 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Here's that little bit of writing I did at Lang-8, along with the corrections from my partner.

Ben adım "tex-nrn" ve Türkçe öğreniyorum.
Bu arada, Türkçe ' de kaç sözcük var? ("için" değil)
Bugün için rezervasyon yaptırdım. ("üzerinden" değil)
Benim çoçuklar ev ben, Dillenburg'da iyi bir film görmek istiyoruz.
Biz otobüsle Offenbach'dan Dillenburg'a gidiyoruz.
Yağmur yağıyor. Onlar için, güzel hava çok önemli değil.
Dillenburg'a kadar yol kısa.

Simple stuff. I've done something for French, too, but I just wrote it half and hour ago so nothing yet. I won't copy the French here because it's pretty basic and rather embarrassing that I don't know stuff like "get in my car" -- and why did I never learn "coffee machine"? Actually I'm pretty sure it's machine de café, but if not then I'll find out.

I've decided to put a stop to "Using French" and work out any gaps before I move on. "Using French" is starting to make me memorize words like "sémillant" and "paillarde" and it makes little sense to know those words and not "coffee machine". Time for a review!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 46 of 292
08 March 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I've done 2 Turkish pieces of writing at lang-8 and I've gotten good responses. I'm trying to master all the things that I think I'll need if stranded in a foreign place and "lavabo" is one of the new words that I've learned at lang-8. (I was only able to find "tuvalet" in my dictionary.) It's a foreign word like "plaj" and "comment" and "pratik". I don't think Turkish will be as bad about incorporating foreign words as Japanese,though..

I've also written two things for French. The second one is pretty lame, I have to admit. I wrote an imaginary story about my student who works close to the French border, and how he went to Switzerland to do a follow up on an order. He bought a vignette and had to drive from the French border to Freilassing... it was kind of uninteresting considering there's probably dozens of French entries at lang-8 and mine is just one of them. I'll try again. Noow,.. What can I write that's interesting...? hmmmm. 「(゚ペ) エットォ…

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 47 of 292
08 March 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Oh why don't we go ahead and put my last Turkish entry in here. My log is just sitting here and it might as well start making itself useful:

Affedersiniz beyefendi. Buralarda iyi bir otel var mı?
Tabi. "Main Street"-sokak'da var. Ana caddede var.
Üzgünüm. Bu sokak nerede bilmiyorum. Maalesef, bende harita yok. Sizde harita var mı?

Ben, iyi bir lokantaya gitmek istiyorum. ("Ben iyi bir lokanta arıyorum" daha iyi olur) Buralarda iyi bir lokanta var mı?
Üzgünüm. Bilmiyorum.
Otobüsle şehir merkezinde kadar gidebilirim. Otobüs istasyonu uzak mı?
Hayir, uzak değil. Orada.
Nerede? Görmüyorum.
beş metre kadar ilerde
Şimdi görüyorum. Teşekkürler!
Sorun değil. rica ederim.
Bu arada, buralarda lavabo var mı?
Evet, burada var. Dükkan'da.

Affedersiniz beyefendi. Butzbach'a kadar Otobüs var mı?
402 numaralı otobüsle gitmek lazım. Bu otobüs Butzbach'a kadar gidiyor.
Ben, taksiyle gitmek istiyorum.
Maalesef, Butzbach'a kadar taksi hiç yok.
Şimdi otobüs geliyor.

Edited by Sunja on 08 March 2012 at 9:22pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 48 of 292
09 March 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I don't want Japanese to feel left out, so I wrote just a teeny bit here -- just stuff that my husband and I say to each other.... unfortunately it hasn't been corrected. I don't have a premium account at lang-8 and I'm only allowed 2 languages. Too bad! I need to work on Japanese,too!

どこ行くの?
ちょっと、コンビに買いに行きます。
黄色と赤の花を買いたいんですから
今週に, 一本99センツで買うことができるよ
一緒にお昼食べない?
なに食べたい?
軽い食事を食べるほうが良い
昨日マックを食べ過ぎた。朝はアップルだけ でおなかがまたいっぱい!

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version