Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 145 of 292
15 January 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Eine kleine Bemerkung: Zusammengesetzte Wörter müssen im Deutschen entweder zusammen oder mit Bindestrich geschrieben werden. Man kann die Wörter nicht einfach wie im Englischen getrennt hintereinander schreiben.

Habe ich bei Nr. 7 zu viel zusammengeballt? Es fällt mir gerade auf, dass "Radio-in-der-Küche-hören-aber-nur-ein-paar-Stunden" nicht gerade "stichpunktartig" ist! Oder hast du etwas anderes gemeint? (・_・?)

edit:

*whew* I'm on the old computer today and it's taking me so long to respond/edit.

@Luso: how did learning French compare with learning English for you? Are there more similarities with French? I'm always happy to see a word that I can recognize from the English, but that says nothing about learning how to pronounce it, unfortunately.

BTW : This is just general and I'm not aiming this at anyone, but I see how they throw around the placement of French adjectives in the Internet and it's really confusing. I'm assuming that my grammar book is right, but how right does one have to be? I suppose it's best to learn it the right way, but not obsess about it.

Edited by Sunja on 15 January 2013 at 7:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 146 of 292
15 January 2013 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
No, I meant something different. In German, compound words always have to be written as one word or with hyphens, so I added some hyphens to some compound words that you had written as separate words. Unfortunately, the bold script does not work well for hyphens, so they may be hard to detect in the corrected text. If you compare it carefully to your version of the text, you'll see what I mean. Your keywords are absolutely fine!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 147 of 292
15 January 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Ah, now I see. Thanks for pointing that out, that's actually very helpful. I'm learning everything about Schriftverkehr in my online course. That's a rule I think I kind of knew about but obviously I've somehow managed to avoid practice.^^

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5866 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 148 of 292
16 January 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
@Luso: how did learning French compare with learning English for you? Are there more similarities with French? I'm always happy to see a word that I can recognize from the English, but that says nothing about learning how to pronounce it, unfortunately.

Some background: I started French aged 10 and English aged 12. Both were possible choices as first foreign language, but my parents thought that, since French was closer to Portuguese, it made sense to start there. This happened in the mid-to-late seventies. Since the system predicted that you reverted to just learning your first language (except for humanities' students) in late high school, I got: 2 years French; then 3 years French + English; then 2 more French. Total: 7 years French (ages 10 to 17) and 3 English (ages 12 to 15).

I was good at learning languages, back then. Since school learning was (and is) not elitist, the pace was not fast (to say the least). At that age, you soak up everything, much more at a relaxed pace. Since I could read almost anything in French by age 18, that part was covered. Concerning English, the 3 original years were heavily compounded with TV, movies, internet, books in college, general literature, etc.

So, regarding your question, I guess it's a bit hard to tell, since I didn't know the first thing about methods, etc. I just learned what I was told to learn. Things were not optimal: for instance, I spent countless hours memorising French verb tenses. English, conversely, was much more instinctive: by the mid-eighties, I could not name one verb tense anymore.

Edited by Luso on 16 January 2013 at 2:26am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 149 of 292
16 January 2013 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
I hope the kids today are still relaxed when it comes to learning, because it gets harder when your an adult^^. There's a lot that's pre-programmed in the school. There's a certain amount of learning material that the kids have to know before the end of the year. It's very formal and rote. Still, there's something to be said for memorizing irregular verbs. Here in Germany, they still memorize poems and songs. I don't think they do that anymore in the United States, at least according to a teacher friend of mine.

I can find verb patterns in English

sing-sang-sung
ring-rang-rung

tell-told-told
sell-sold-sold

But I'm still hard-pressed to find any patterns in French. I think I'll learn to recognize patterns only after I've memorized them and not the other way around. Even if I have to have 1,000 memory aids, I'm going to learn those verbs! ^^

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've been listening to French radio for the past two hours while I'm putting up a set of drawers from IKEA. My German is just a little skewed this morning because I'm in a hurry -- I only have ten minutes before I have to rush out the door -- so I'll toss this out in English:

I also spent some time with the TCF at RFI. That was really difficult, I'd say. First of all, it's quite a task to even figure out what they're talking about, let alone discern between 4-5 possible answers to the one question. I like the radio better. Despite very static-y AM reception, I've been able to follow the French talk just fine. I can't catch everything of course, but I can pick out things.. ops 11:55 already? gotta go.

Edited by Sunja on 16 January 2013 at 12:40pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5866 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 150 of 292
17 January 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:

I can find verb patterns in English

sing-sang-sung
ring-rang-rung

tell-told-told
sell-sold-sold

But I'm still hard-pressed to find any patterns in French. I think I'll learn to recognize patterns only after I've memorized them and not the other way around. Even if I have to have 1,000 memory aids, I'm going to learn those verbs! ^^

Oh, but there are verb patterns in French. Unfortunately, I only knew this by the time I already had learned most of what I now know.

Few people know this, amazing as it may seem. They are called "temps primitifs". See here, for example.

I don't know how this is not common knowledge. In my parents' time, it was. When one day I broke the news, they just said: "oh yes, of course, les temps primitifs". I was in my 6th year of French, or something like that.

Edited by Luso on 17 January 2013 at 2:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 151 of 292
17 January 2013 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
I'm going to check that site out! Thanks!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

edit: I'm going to try to get out of here for a few days .. will I be able to keep from coming in? Ich bin mal gespannt ;)

Ich muss noch meine Einsendeaufgabe WSH01 bearbeiten und zwar, ein ganzes Heft mit allen dazu gehörigen Aufgaben bis zum Ende des Monats erledigen und auch wegschicken, sonst hinke ich zu weit hinterher. Für die nächsten drei Tage arbeite ich auch. Ich erteile mir selbst ein "HTLAL-Verbot". Ob ich das einhalten kann? ;)

Edited by Sunja on 17 January 2013 at 1:30pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5890 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 152 of 292
19 January 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Ich habe nochmal ein neues Buch gekauft, muss ich mir jedoch eingestehen, dass die Aufarbeitung von meiner kommunikativen Fähigkeit sinnvoller wäre. Trotzdem will ich mein Vokabelkenntnisse erweitern, also habe ich jetzt „Abitur-Training Französisch – Themenwortschatz“ von dem Stark Verlag gekauft. Ich habe schon mehrere Seiten 1-26 erledigt und ich versuche mehr freies Schreiben zu üben (lang-8). Eins meiner Beträge ist ganz spannend: Als ein Kundin von mir in Portugal auf Geschäftsreise war, hat jemand ihm K.O. Tropfen gegeben und ihn dann ausgeraubt. Man muss wirklich auf der Hut sein! Er hat ein Gin und Tonic in einem Restaurant-Kneipe bestellt und danach konnte er sich an nichts mehr erinnern. Sobald er zu sich kam, stand er gegenüber dem Restaurant, Portemonnaie und Handy waren weg. Er hatte aber seine Kreditkarten noch bei sich. Natürlich hat er die portugiesische Polizei alarmiert, aber sie konnten (oder wollten) nichts tun.

Das korrigierte Stück nochmal zu tippen wäre eine gute Wiederholung:

Titre: Mon patron a été victime de soumission chimique

(J’ai appris : Je raconte un événement, "ce qui s'est passé", donc le passé composé est obligatoire!)

Les voleurs lui ont probablement donné une substance psychotrope, ensuite ils l’ont volé. Pendant un voyage d’affaire au Portugal, mon patron a été victim de soumission chimique. Il n’était pas très tard. Après d‘étre arrivé à l’hôtel, il est allé au restaurant avec un bar et il commandait un gin tonic. Il était sept heures et demie. il a dit que la dernière chose dont il se souvenait c’est qu’il était seul. Il n’y avait personne d’autre que lui et le barman. Et plus tard, environ douze heures plus tard, il s’est retrouvé à l’extérieur du restaurant, de l’autre côté de la rue. Il se tenait debout, pas allongé. Le, ou les voleurs lui ont dérobé sa téléphone portable et son portefeuille. Néanmoins, il avait encore ses cartes de credit. Alors, il a contacté la police, mais ils ont lui dit qu’il ne devait pas rétourner dans cet établissement. Il lui ont repondu : désolé, qu’on ne pouvait rien faire pour lui au Portugal. La meilleure protection contre ce problème c’est d'être conscient du danger quand on prend de l'alcool.

edit: Mir ist was aufgefallen, "patron" ≠ "Kundin". Er ist kein "Arbeitgeber" sondern ein Vermittler. Meine Kundschaft arbeitet für ihn - ich wollte die Beziehung vereinfachen aber ich habe die gleichen Wörter nicht benutzt, hoppla.

Edited by Sunja on 19 January 2013 at 11:03pm

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version