Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 102
26 November 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
We've had a few annual goal threads over the years...

Goals 2013
Goals 2011
Goals 2010
Goals 2009
Goals 2008
Goals 2007
Goals 2006

So to keep on with our grand tradition... What are your goals for 2014?

I'll give it a start...

French
Revise the 4 Assimil French courses I have. Business French needs the most work.
Get Le Petit Prince and L’Étranger to the point where they are easy and effortless to listen with close to 100% comprehension.
Listen/Read several books, focusing on those that were originally in French, as well as a few interesting ones that weren't originally in English or Spanish.
Start the long grind through FSI Basic French.

Spanish
Finish a grand trip through Don Quixote de La Mancha. This involves listen/reading with support at times in English, which I'm doing now (around capítulo 33 in part one today). I also want to read it in English without audio for pleasure, and supplement that with just listening in Spanish for pleasure.
Listen/Read Cien Años de Soledad and take comprehension up several notches using the methods described above for Don Quixote.
Listen a bit more to modern Spanish media. My wife has a subscription to Sirius XM Radio, and they have a good bit of Spanish programming, such as CNN en Español. I would like to get this to the effortless stage as well.
Do the Translation and Response drills from FSI Basic Spanish to keep active speaking skills up.
Go "all the way" with FSI Basic Spanish, and really get down Level 4 (of the original 4 level course).

Esperanto
Get the video/recordings I did at a conference in 2013 up to the point where they are pretty effortless as well. They're pretty much here already.
Since stretch goals are okay, go ahead and read Lord of the Rings, which I bought at the conference.
Continue listening through Svisa Radio mp3s.

English
Continue to read several more Great Books, focusing on those that were originally done in English. Also support my French listen/reading a bit with this goal.

Edited by luke on 26 November 2013 at 11:43pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4122 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 2 of 102
26 November 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
I don't have a plan exactly, but I'm planning a trip to Europe (Italy, Switzerland and
Germany), and I'll have the chance to test my skills in the two languages I've learning
this year, Italian and German. That will also be my first trip abroad.

Edited by nicozerpa on 26 November 2013 at 8:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 102
26 November 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I am going to finalize my 2014 goals later this year, but they will include:

Listen/Read at least 15 books in Spanish.

Watch at least 100 30 minute TV episodes in Spanish.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 4 of 102
26 November 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I want to finish the reading part of my Dutch Super Challenge, bring my Indonesian to B2, and massage some B1-
level life back into French.
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 5 of 102
26 November 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
French
Improve my French. As simple as that. I would like to profit as much as possible from the 2 months I am going to spend in Luxembourg - to speak French with fewer errors and more confidence and, most importantly, improve my comprehension to the C1+/C2-like level and pass a conference interpreting exam (from French).

Swedish and Dutch
Bring one or both of them somewhere to the B1+/B2- level, read at least one book in Dutch (preferably more, but let's be realistic...), and maybe finally add a language to the "speaks" section on HTLAL (the question still is... which one).

German
Enrich my active vocabulary.

English
Maybe, just maybe!, improve my accent (my biggest language complex by far) and my speaking skills.

Spanish
Brush up on my passive skills, preferably read a book (or more) (not a priority though, when compared to Swedish or, especially, Dutch and French).

Russian
Depending on the available time, maybe finally do something about it!

Below is a quote from a similar thread for 2013. It actually comes to me as a nice surprise how consistent I am these days ;).

Julie (2013) wrote:
1. French - to improve reading and listening comprehension, hopefully to a C1 level from somewhere about a weak B2.

2. German - to improve active vocabulary, especially in the formal register. Use more verbs. Generally use more words :). I used to be pretty happy with my C2 German, and now all that I can see are gaps and gaps over gaps in my knowledge, especially in my vocabulary.

3. Swedish - to get somewhere to A2/B1 level from a beginner level (I've been learning Swedish for less than three months).

(4.) English - more of an upkeep language than a real learning goal.

That's my focus for the first half of the year [2013]. In the second half of the year, I'm thinking about changing focus / adding focus languages (probably Dutch, Russian and/or Spanish, maybe something completely new - we're gonna see).

2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 6 of 102
26 November 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
French - Watch a ton of raw movies & series for pleasure, read the rest of Michel Houellebecq's bibliography.

Spanish - Same as French, substitute Houellebecq for Roberto Bolano.

Italian - Get through all of the movies/series I have with subs, read The Master & The Margherita in Italian, watch a few seasons of a dubbed show, and watch the integral of 2 Italian series w/o subs.

Possibilities:

German - Read the last 3 HP books, gain enough reading fluency to read some of the classics

Russian - B1/2 level

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4049 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 102
26 November 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Russian
Achieve reading knowledge by the end of 2014

German

Icelandic

Estonian

Northern-saami
Improve during the year 2014

Swedish/Norwegian/Danish
Improve during the year 2014

Spanish
Get started during the year 2014

I like reading.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3841 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 8 of 102
26 November 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Spanish

Reach an advanced level of Spanish by the end of 2014 at the latest. I feel like it's a realistic goal given my current level and the amount of work I've put in.

Irish

It's gonna be a long, long, long time before I'm out of the beginner stage of Irish, but I'd like to at least finish Learning Irish by next year. I've been plugging away for 2 months and I'm only halfway through.

French

Will 2014 be the year I finally start learning French? Probably...I want to make sure I'm comfortable with Irish before I add another language. By January, I think I might be ready to take the plunge!

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version