Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 97 of 252
14 January 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
The TV series is based on the novels by Jean-François Parot, if you're interested...
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 98 of 252
15 January 2014 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
Thank you Godmother. Yes, I am interested in entertaining historical crime fiction. To be honest I have only seen 2 episodes, but I liked how they speak.

If you have a suggestion for another similar series/books I'd love to know!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 99 of 252
15 January 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
After a helpful post by kanewai, I decided to add FSI French phonology to my studies. The manuals I use these days don't have audio, so it's a helpful addition. They are great, but no audio.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 100 of 252
15 January 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Turkish

As an experiment (hopefully succesful) I will use TY along with FSI. That's quite a big decision, but I think I can manage.

I have been neglecting russian for a few days now, but I find myself going back to french and turkish. I will try unit 2 of my russian course tomorrow, and I hope that during the weekend (away from the internet) I shall be able to do the turkish exercises and finally move on!

Edited by renaissancemedi on 15 January 2014 at 10:30pm

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3796 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 101 of 252
15 January 2014 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
After a helpful post by kanewai, I decided to add FSI French phonology to my
studies. The manuals I use these days don't have audio, so it's a helpful addition. They are great, but no
audio.

I would love to hear your thoughts about the FSI Phonology course. I will have the first wave of FWT done in
about 30 days. I do plan to start Using French, but I am considering doing the FSI phonology course first.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 102 of 252
16 January 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Well, so far I have completed chapter 1, and I was very pleased. It litteraly drills into you how to pronounce some things automatically. It focuses on some English speaking pronunciation mistakes, which is a good thing even if you are not a native English speaker. I recommend it, and I will continue using it myself.

In fact, I will use FSI for my Turkish along with TY, and I would use it for Russian too, but I really like my other course.

As for French, I am past the beginner stage, so the FSI courses are not for me. However the phonology is very helpful, even if one has audio with one's course of choice. I was almost ready to do subsaharan french, because I guess I likd the exotic aspect of it, but then I don't need to hire a cook etc. I like that sort of accent though. The metropolitan french, as alluring as it is, can also get on my nerves if overpronounced (that long eeee at the end of words...).

Drills are very effective, since repetition is the mother of all learning. I assume it can get boring, but I kept thinking that with every little exercise I sound more French. I saw it as a bit of a game, which helps a lot!

Just this first chapter made me realize that, in the word midi for example, the french -di and te greek -di, are not the same -di! I mean, there is really some fine tuning going on if you really really listen.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 16 January 2014 at 8:21am

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 103 of 252
18 January 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Thank you Godmother. Yes, I am interested in entertaining historical crime
fiction. To be honest I have only seen 2 episodes, but I liked how they speak.

If you have a suggestion for another similar series/books I'd love to know!

You could take a look at Viviane Moore's novels : she wrote several detective novels set in the Middle Ages, I
can recommand "la saga de Tancrede le Normand", a 7-book series with a good plot, and instructive
historical setting but not too much.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3796 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 104 of 252
18 January 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Well, so far I have completed chapter 1, and I was very pleased. It litteraly drills
into you how to pronounce some things automatically. It focuses on some English speaking pronunciation
mistakes, which is a good thing even if you are not a native English speaker. I recommend it, and I will
continue using it myself.

In fact, I will use FSI for my Turkish along with TY, and I would use it for Russian too, but I really like my other
course.

As for French, I am past the beginner stage, so the FSI courses are not for me. However the phonology is
very helpful, even if one has audio with one's course of choice. I was almost ready to do subsaharan french,
because I guess I likd the exotic aspect of it, but then I don't need to hire a cook etc. I like that sort of accent
though. The metropolitan french, as alluring as it is, can also get on my nerves if overpronounced (that long
eeee at the end of words...).

Drills are very effective, since repetition is the mother of all learning. I assume it can get boring, but I kept
thinking that with every little exercise I sound more French. I saw it as a bit of a game, which helps a lot!

Just this first chapter made me realize that, in the word midi for example, the french -di and te greek -di, are
not the same -di! I mean, there is really some fine tuning going on if you really really listen.

Thank you very much for your review! I think this is something I need to do!

Edited by Mohave on 18 January 2014 at 10:28pm

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version