Diglot
Greece
Joined 3657 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 217 of 252
23 April 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
This is renaissancemedi with a different name: Penelope. I managed to de activate my old account.

Don't ask...

Anyway, unless I can get my old name back, this is it. I think I prefer this one though.

I thought about starting a new log, but I'll continue with this one. :)

Expugnator, if we only talked about fireworks it would be fine. Unfortunately some make their own ammunition, with very dangerous and unstable materials, and there is a body count each year.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5849 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 218 of 252
23 April 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
From your recent posts, it's not clear to me whether you want your old name back or not.

Anyway, the person is alive and kicking, and that's all that matters.

I'll edit your information on our team (I'll leave the two names).
1 person has voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3657 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 219 of 252
23 April 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Luso. I like the new name, but if someone decides I absolutely should get my old account back, I will not object. I don't want to cause any problems at all. So, for now I continue with this one, because the old name is deactivated anyway. I suspect this is how I will continue :)

Alive and kicking is true. After a very relaxed Easter break, I feel very much like studying again.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 220 of 252
23 April 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
If you prefer Penelope then you are welcome to keep the new name. I'll edit the umbrella thread so that both names are visible, but from now on you are Penelope.

PS: I just saw that renaissancemedi has visited HTLAL today, so maybe I was too quick to rename your log thread. If so then just tell me or another moderator.

Edited by Iversen on 23 April 2014 at 2:08pm

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3657 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 221 of 252
23 April 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Iversen, what you did is perfect :)

Only Penelope from now on, and I apologize for the mess.

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3657 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 222 of 252
25 April 2014 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
So, Hebrew is always on the table, and with a full FSI course as well.

I do have some problems with the script though. It's probably me being lazy, but I can't bring myself to sit down and just learn the thing. I know some of it, but... I was tempted to simply not learn it at all, and go for the audio charms of FSI, plus Pinmsleur. But somehow it feels wrong and it bothers me. Which is good because it means I haven't given up on it.

I have been watching one particular turkish tv show, and I am getting more and more words, and even some phrases here and there. For example, the other day a younger man said to an older man estağfurullah, and I remembered our conversation here on the forum about old fashioned words. I revisited that information. Anyway, the word is now in my long term memory, although it is a mouthfull.

Another example is the combination of two words I knew, but never thought of putting together. A man was talking to a woman, and he says: doğru söyle, say the truth. Talk to me straight. Somehow, all those moments of clarity help me remember things I have read on a textbook, and give me more dialogue options.

I have been on a similar mentality with Josquin lately, which led to my previous decisions in order to remove the stress from my language learning. I have been feeling a lot better ever since, with more and more language time during a day, but very focused and relaxed. If I don't study I don't feel guilty at all, and that's fine. It took me some time to get here :) but now it's ok.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3710 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 223 of 252
25 April 2014 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Hello Penelope! I often read your blog because Greek, Turkish, and Hebrew are all languages I want to learn... eventually! So when I read your
latest post, I just wanted to add my voice in here and encourage you to learn the Hebrew alphabet. When I first started learning Arabic, I felt
like I just wouldn't become literate. But once I watched some videos on the alphabet, I realized that it wasn't really all that hard, and it
opens up the world of that language. Without being able to read, you will be so limited, but with it, you will gain an immense liberty in the
language.

I learned the Arabic alphabet from Maha, a teacher on YouTube. She teaches both Arabic and Hebrew. I realize that some people may think she
isn't very academic, but that's okay with me. I really like her. She has a way of teaching that makes things enjoyable and simple. I haven't
watched her videos on the Hebrew alphabet, but she is the one who originally inspired me to learn the Arabic alphabet.
Here is a link to her first Hebrew alphabet video. She kind of comes off as not too serious or
intelligent, but I think she actually is quite intelligent, but just very enthusiastic and kind of over-the-top bubbly.

But I also understand the feeling of needing to focus on just one thing at a time for a bit! So you can keep that link in your back pocket for
when you pick up Hebrew. All the best with Turkish, I will keep an eye out here because I am interested in everyone's Turkish progress!

Edit: I just watched that video, she uses a book to introduce the capital letters and how they are pronounced. Then she has a later video on how to
write the letters here. It may be too much information for someone not learning Arabic because
she makes constant reference to the similarities and differences with Arabic.

Edited by nancydowns on 25 April 2014 at 2:03pm

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3657 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 224 of 252
26 April 2014 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the encouragement and links. I found them very useful, and they led me to other videos as well. Apparently if I hear things I remember them better :) I have a board like hers and that's how I do all the writing drills :D The day I can actually read and write all letters, will be one of the happiest ever.
It makes me appreciate the considerable effort it takes to become litterate.
I hope you do ok with your languages. I can't even imagine how much more difficult arabic must be.

Edited by Penelope on 26 April 2014 at 11:37am

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version