Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 105 of 252
20 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Happy to help :)

Turkish

Finished the TY first chapter. Exercises done. Not all successful. It takes time to really, automatically use the language. I am so not there yet!

Time to move on!
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 106 of 252
20 January 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Someone stop me please.

After having a difficult time juggling three languages, with russian the least studied so far, what is the next, logical step for me?

To add another language, of course! Hebrew, in particular. Боже мой!

Not only that, but I am seriously considering changing my chosen courses to assimil or FSI.

What am I to do? If I am going to seriously study 3-4 languages, I need very solid courses.

French is out of that equation because it's a special case.
Turkish, well, I'm happy with TY, although FSI always calls...

But for Russian, maybe I should just use assimil, because my current course has too many books, and it's difficult and time consuming to properly keep up.

As for Hebrew, a self studying course is a must, because it seems kind of a special case too.

I should try to be practical here, and time efficient, and chose the most productive strategy. One course (repeat, one course, one course...) for each language.

Oh dear..

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 107 of 252
20 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Some late night ranting (you've been warned, read on at you rown risk).

So, assimil Russian is on! 1950s or 1970s, that is the question. I have read all the threads on the subject, because this has been in my thoughts before. I am thinking 1970s, mainly for all the rave reviews it gets. But I have to say, 1950s is also tempting, because of its content, which seems to be more than anything that followed. I like their voices too. I think it will be the 1950s one after all.

Not many words about the other russian course I abandon. It's truly wonderful, but hard without a teacher, and with so many books! Seriously, each chapter fells like a marathon. You learn though. My russian goal is simply to have nice conversations, and read, read, read! So, assimil with its litterature texts seems fine.

As for hebrew, I have always been interested in it. Just learning from Pimsleur is not enough, I want the script as well. FSI looks promising, but then again so does assimil. Not to mention that its french base will help with my french. Another keyboard to learn. I see a lot of handwriting coming my way.
And only one book (well, two, but not at the same time!). It has cursive too. Assimil it is!

So:
French: several sources (it's the only language I have no doubt about)
Turkish: TY.
Russian: Assimil 1950s
Hebrew: Assimil

There, now I feel better.

MithradatesG
United States
Joined 4063 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French, Armenian, Turkish, Italian

Message 108 of 252
20 January 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
It's funny. You've started with TY Turkish and feel drawn toward using FSI Turkish and I'm going in the other direction! I've been using FSI Turkish, but on the weekends I'm doing TY Turkish.

I think they complement each other well. FSI Turkish is very slow moving. (At least, at the beginning it is.) However, it provides very useful exercises for learning how to use the language automatically (as you said you wanted). TY Turkish, I feel, doesn't teach the language as deeply, but lets you see more of the language more quickly. I like doing TY Turkish because it provides new vocabulary that I can use with the patterns I learned in FSI Turkish. It also keeps me from getting bored with the slow pace of the FSI course.

İyı şanslar!

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3909 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 109 of 252
21 January 2014 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I study 2 languages. Each one has it's own time in my schedule and I'm still having
troubles.

I don't know how you handle this :)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 110 of 252
21 January 2014 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
MithradatesG wrote:
It's funny. You've started with TY Turkish and feel drawn toward using FSI Turkish and I'm going in the other direction! I've been using FSI Turkish, but on the weekends I'm doing TY Turkish.

I think they complement each other well. FSI Turkish is very slow moving. (At least, at the beginning it is.) However, it provides very useful exercises for learning how to use the language automatically (as you said you wanted). TY Turkish, I feel, doesn't teach the language as deeply, but lets you see more of the language more quickly. I like doing TY Turkish because it provides new vocabulary that I can use with the patterns I learned in FSI Turkish. It also keeps me from getting bored with the slow pace of the FSI course.

İyı şanslar!

I agree with your FSI and TY comments, and I believe as well that they complement each other. Ideally I want to use both. Actually I was influenced by kanewai on that one, because he seems to have the same opinion. My only problem is fear! As we say in greek, πελάγωσα, I am in the middle of the sea right now, meaning I am overwhelmed.
As I have finished the first TY unit, maybe I should proceed with the first FSI unit, etc. And see what happens.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 111 of 252
21 January 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Cristianoo wrote:
I study 2 languages. Each one has it's own time in my schedule and I'm still having
troubles.

I don't know how you handle this :)

Ask me again at the end of the year how I handle this! Because so far I don't. I learned a lot from last year though, and I am treating this in more efficient ways. I hope! I also steal ideas from other logs.

I can tell you this as well: I have different goals for each language, and, although perfection is ideal, I don't stress and i don't feel like I have to learn everything at once. I am also an optimist, which helps!

Besides, even if I get out of this with one language, I see it as having won. Last year I actually saw great progress with my Italian, although German was unfortunately not a success. I was still happy. This year I have higher expectations of me, though.

I bought a blackboard/whiteboard thing, to avoid all the paper while writing my endless drills. Of course some exercises are worth writing down, like stories etc. I generally try to make things easy for me.

Cristianoo, you will do great, from what I've seen so far.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 112 of 252
21 January 2014 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I really like your choice of languages! French is one of my top three (the ones I am actually good at) Russian
is my great passion, Turkish is something I through an unexpected twist will get back to now, and Hebrew
has always been close to my heart although my present skills consist in saying "Thank you very much" and "I
do not understand".

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version