Diglot
United States
Joined 4493 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 73 of 223
02 February 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I love the idea Sprachprofi, thank you for coming up with this month's challenge!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 74 of 223
03 February 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Okay, so it's set:

February Challenge: Get Addicted
Aim to do either 30+ hours of target-language study this month OR study every day for a number of minutes
that you can decide yourself.

I will be going for 30+ hours of Indonesian and I will use the 6 Week Challenge bot in order to keep track.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4441 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 75 of 223
03 February 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Jumped up on the bandwagon - at least 5 minutes a day on Bliu Bliu.

It helps that five minutes is their 'daily dose', but I've been spending hours there, reveling in the ability to put German, Spanish and Arabic to use.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 76 of 223
03 February 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to hear on the team leader, Luso, besides deciding for the challenging.

Like I said at another team, this "commitment" challenge doesn't work much for me,
because I already have a set routine I normally stick to. I'd rather focus on concrete
activities that I would find a little time for and which would include active skills.
It's no problem if others want it, though.

As a matter of fact, considering the month has 22 workdays and I study about 90 minutes
of Georgian each day, I think I could take part on the challenge with no problem:

30 minutes - a Basic Georgian lesson, which includes version exercises
30-40 minutes - an episode of Chemi Tsolis Dakalebi
15 minutes - two pages from A Georgian Reader (parallel bilingual texts)
15 minutes - two pages from a bilingual novel, Paloma (will start a translated novel
after this one)
10 minutes of 40 Anki reps, deck is all mature now.

=============
I'd like to hear more on how you guys who are learning rare languages are making use of
Bliu Bliu =D

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 77 of 223
04 February 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'd like to hear on the team leader, Luso, besides deciding for the challenging.

Like I said at another team, this "commitment" challenge doesn't work much for me, because I already have a set routine I normally stick to. I'd rather focus on concrete activities that I would find a little time for and which would include active skills.
It's no problem if others want it, though.

Actually, I was more inclined to accept prz_'s proposal, not because of the theme per se, but rather because I think that "X" hours of study is business as usual, so to speak. In fact, I think it can lead to dispersion. But then there were cheers from a few teammates (now that I come to think of it, it was the ladies' side), and I didn't want to rain on their parade. After all, the whole challenge notion is not my cup of tea, and I'm just one among equals.

Anyway, since you asked for my opinion, I think that a challenge should be something specific and visible, and since we have this special group, I'd like to see some more exotic posts. Among ourselves, we have something like nine or ten scripts, even if not all are represented in this team. We have the "Rare" opportunity to write a team thread like no other.

On a different note, I'm worried that we might be losing zecchino1991. Would you Georgian guys offer to help / give him a nudge? :P

It seems MithradatesG is progressing with his Armenian, although at a slow pace (who hasn't been there?), but holding his own.

Edited by Luso on 04 February 2014 at 2:05am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 78 of 223
04 February 2014 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
We could do both. We could keep the passive challenge (hours per month/day whatever each one wants to do), and add a smaller active challenge so as to use the language.

Since there are many scripts here, how about writing down as many names that have something to do with our life? Say, find out who to write our name, our country and city, etc. For the more advanced, this could be a few lines about their hobby, which was a fun idea.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 04 February 2014 at 8:47am

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4441 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 79 of 223
04 February 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
We could do both. We could keep the passive challenge (hours per month/day whatever each one wants to do), and add a smaller active challenge so as to use the language.

Since there are many scripts here, how about writing down as many names that have something to do with our life? Say, find out who to write our name, our country and city, etc. For the more advanced, this could be a few lines about their hobby, which was a fun idea.

That's a good idea, too.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 80 of 223
04 February 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
I think we should do the hobby challenge in March. January revealed that writing
challenges are still difficult for those starting from a low level, that's why I wanted
to give them a break in February, allow them to catch up a bit, before challenging to
write about hobbies.

A daily study habit is the most valuable thing to have. Expug is really fortunate. Those
who don't need the study habit challenge can decide what other challenge they might set
themselves.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 04 February 2014 at 10:38am

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version