Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 113 of 223
30 March 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno, I guess congratulations are in order. It seems a few teammates welcomed you warmly, others more or less ignored you and the rest are nowhere to be seen. Hey, that's life! :P

Now, please provide your basic information, so that I can add you to the roster. Go to the first page of the team thread for instructions and please try to be complete (no need to make several posts): the main thing is your starting point (I'd say A0) and objective (A1? A2? Going native?). An estimation is fine, but that part is mandatory.

If you want to add links to resources, it might help the globetrotters, but that's optional.

I'd appreciate you doing it in the next few days, as the quarter is drawing to a close and I have an idea. Nothing fancy, but I'd like to have things organised by then.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4492 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 114 of 223
30 March 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Lakeseayesno! :-)

Here are my entries for the March challenge:

1. Bermain air basah, bermain api hangus.
Literal translation: Playing with water, wet. Playing with fire, burned.
Meaning: Every action has its consequence.

2. Habis manis sepah dibuang.
Literal translation: Sweet finished, tasteless thrown away.
Meaning: We only call our friends when we need help; we don't help them when they are
in need.
(A bit cynical, no? Apparently the saying refers to sweet sugar cane, which you can
chew. Once the sweetness has been sucked out of the fibers, the rest of the cane is
thrown away.)

3. Jadilah kumbang, hidup sekali di taman bunga, jangan jadi lalat, hidup sekali di
bukit sampah.
Literal translation: Be a bee, living in a flowery garden, not a fly, living in heaps
of garbage.
Meaning: You choose what you want your life to be(e).

Luso, question: what does "The carpenter's door is loose" mean, as a proverb?

Everyone - Love the proverbs!!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 115 of 223
31 March 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
Luso, question: what does "The carpenter's door is loose" mean, as a proverb?

If you are a carpenter, you're supposed to know about such things. It's the same when a physician smokes, a mechanic's car keeps breaking down, or a cobbler is always barefoot. It's unexpected.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 116 of 223
31 March 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
That is interesting, because there is a saying like that in greek as well: Του τσαγκάρη τη γυναίκα ξυπόλητη την είδα. I saw the shoe maker's wife barefoot.

About the next challenge, inspired by a russian team challenge, how about translating a song?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 117 of 223
31 March 2014 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Welcome Lakeseayesno! Good luck with your studies!

I like the idea of translating a song.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4492 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 118 of 223
31 March 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
If you are a carpenter, you're supposed to know about such things. It's the same when a physician
smokes, a mechanic's car keeps breaking down, or a cobbler is always barefoot. It's unexpected.

Thanks Luso.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 119 of 223
31 March 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno, I know the feeling about not being able to search for your target language
in communities like lang-8. I study Papiamento, and in lang-8 and italki it is not even
included as one language one's learning, nor can native speakers assign themselves
Papiamento as their native language. It seems smaller languages have a much better tyime
in non-profit communities such as this forum and Unilang, for example, not to mention
Lingogracy as the founder opened a thread here and asked for suggestions.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4123 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 120 of 223
31 March 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

@Expugnator
It's true that the larger community-based websites tend to pass over minor languages, not considering them to have enough "connected" speakers or students, but I think we have to change that way of thinking. There are, of course, many languages at this point that can only be kept alive through personal communication (as they have few, older speakers who are not involved in the Internet), but others, such as Papiamento, Nahuatl, Quechua, have many young speakers and therefore they also have considerable speaker communities on the internet. I mean, Google+ can be used in Xhosa, for crying out loud.

Anyway, if you'd like and have an account, check out the group I created on Lang-8. It really is nothing more than a soapbox so all you can do right now is create a thread explaining why you think your language should be on Lang-8, but I'm still weighing other ways to draw their attention to the fact that minor languages DO have speakers and learners on the internet.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version