Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 201 of 223
10 October 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Luso, I'm glad to know that others are also around and appreciate the team. I'm not sure how my Georgian studies will be next year, but I'd be glad to join at an intermediate stage if it's ok. I don't plan to start any other 'rare' language next year because I already have too much on my plate, but it is likely that I will continue with Georgian, not as a beginner but with the focus on learning to take the most out of the scarce results for less commonly learned languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 202 of 223
10 October 2014 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Does this mean you're willing to keep captaining the team for a whole 'nother year, Luso?

Maybe. The organisation part comes naturally to me, so it won't be much of a problem.

I think some people misunderstand (and misuse) this TAC concept, but this is, for the most part, manageable (see the rules in my first post). The only exception is when newbies are allowed to lead teams (sadly, this happens now and then).

Anyway, it would be nice to have again a team for more exotic (and less popular) languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4124 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 203 of 223
11 October 2014 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
While I also think it manageable, a (failed) move to another country doesn't happen every year and is impossible to foresee at the time of joining TAC, and it is only on the occasion of having it happen to your own persona that one realizes how much time and energy such an experience sucks out of a year. I admit absolute blame and wish to apologize at not having kept up with either my log nor the other team members' after moving back, but I also want to add that TAC tends to lose priority when the first thing on one's mind is getting work and paying bills.

As a postdata of sorts, this is the last thought I'll post on my log lapsus between June and now, because I don't want everyone to think I'm justifying not working hard enough by TAC standards: that's not it. I'm 100% back to normal now, and with the exception of October (details in my log) I intend to work hard at Nahuatl for the remainder of the year.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 204 of 223
11 October 2014 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
I admit absolute blame and wish to apologize at not having kept up with either my log nor the other team members' after moving back, but I also want to add that TAC tends to lose priority when the first thing on one's mind is getting work and paying bills.

I didn't have you in mind when I wrote what I did. You saw a bump in the road coming and you announced it ahead of time. Nothing wrong with that. It would be worrisome if you let some hobby get in the way of really important things, like work.

To be clear (and to end this point), the only scenario I find objectionable is the one where someone starts a team thread and then abandons it altogether for no acceptable reason. It is objectionable because it pulls the rug from under team members' feet, thereby discouraging them from learning.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 205 of 223
27 October 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I'm back as well! I just spent a week in France at an intensive course and now I'm dead
tired, but well ahead of my yearly study goal :D

I just posted an update in my personal log:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37745&TPN=5

Also, note I'm organizing a Polyglot Workshop with Richard Simcott and Alex Rawlings.
Would be awesome to see some of you there!
Infos & registration: http://goo.gl/forms/1biV2hCN58

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 206 of 223
11 December 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
As the year comes to an end, so our TAC draws to its close. I'd like to remind you that we're supposed to start wrapping up our activity, and this means posting a end of year summary in our logs.

There's no fixed format for this, but if you don't know at all what to do, I suggest you start by comparing your accomplishments with the goals you set out to achieve.

There's also no fixed date, but I'd appreciate if you could do it before the end of the year. That way, I could incorporate your feedback in my fourth quarter report, which will be also an overview of this learning trip we took together.

In the mean time, I'd like to draw your attention to the Pre-TAC Thread 2015, where next year's TAC is taking shape fast. Feel free to contribute, if you haven't done so already.

I'd like to point out that there's also a new challenge taking shape. It concerns Turkic languages, most of which fall under our definition of rare in the forum (almost all, in fact). The list of resources is noteworthy by itself, let alone the calendar (all set up by Chung). You may want to check that out.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 207 of 223
11 December 2014 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I just hit my goal in terms of hours I wanted to spend on languages!

I'll leave the detailed year report for January 1st or thereabouts (going to a 7-day
Esperanto party, can't predict online time), when the year is actually over, but I
already posted a summary today:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37745&TPN=5

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4441 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 208 of 223
13 December 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for reminding us to do a wrap-up! That's something I always forgot :P

Luso, will you be doing Arabic next year?

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version