223 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 27 28 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4649 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 81 of 223
04 February 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Expug is really fortunate.

I guess it's this Brasilian "no worries, no cry" policy :D I wish I had that...

Edited by prz_ on 04 February 2014 at 1:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4493 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 82 of 223
04 February 2014 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
I somehow missed prz_'s idea for the challenge. It wasn't my intention to jump the gun, prz_ - thank you for
posting it. :-)

Anyway, I'm certainly up for doing both. I loved Sprachprofi's suggestion because I really do need to solidify my
routine for Indonesian. But Luso should have the final say, as he is our team captain.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 83 of 223
05 February 2014 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
But Luso should have the final say, as he is our team captain.

Actually, I see myself more as the guy who takes care of the first page, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

There's a saying in Portuguese: it's hard to please Greeks and Trojans at the same time.

Since there are a few really tough languages here (for instance, I won't be able to participate with Sanskrit shortly), I don't think one more month can make much of a difference. Therefore, I suggest we can take prz_'s suggestion and make describing our hobby our challenge for February.

I also think Sprachprofi's suggestion was very good, but you may notice that most people said something equivalent to "yes, let's do that, but I'll do 'X' minutes instead". That's not a common challenge, after all.

The advantage of having very specific challenges is that beginners can always catch up (on a few, at least). I'm sure I'll be able to concoct something as the year progresses, and so will renaissancemedi in Hebrew, and so on. I don't consider this cheating: after all, we need to learn the script, don't we?

I'm afraid this is as Solomonic as it gets, folks. From me, at least.

What say you, members of the jury?

Edited by Luso on 05 February 2014 at 3:33am

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 84 of 223
05 February 2014 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Lurking on your team's thread Luso, picking up tips for rare language study. I sort of qualify since I'm studying Ladino. If that's not rare, I don't know what is!

"Como agradar gregos e troianos!" Salomão não podia fazé-lo, nem pode Luso. :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 85 of 223
05 February 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to disappoint you, but Ladino is an Iberian language. In fact, I heard some of the podcasts you listed and, as I was waiting for the lady with the very strong Argentinian accent to start speaking Ladino, it occurred to me that once in a while there was a strange word. As it turns out, she had been speaking the language all along, and I thought it was Spanish.

You should try selling your wares to Team Exploradores, even though this here is the house of alternative scripts, and you(rs) would be gladly accepted. I understand those soft-hearted Iberians are a very welcoming bunch, no matter how cold-blooded and reptilian you look on the outside.
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 86 of 223
05 February 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Luso: Me estas tomando al shuki, andjak, no kero ser el hahan de mesikas! :)

You all are having way too much fun here! Keep up the good work!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 87 of 223
10 February 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Upon noticing there's a little lull in the team's activity, I thought it would be a good idea to create this...

Status Report

Like requested, I gave a suggestion concerning this month's challenge here. It was not long ago, but there were a few posts since that, so you may have missed it.

Since in the five days since I posted it no one said anything (and one third of the month has already elapsed), our team's February challenge is a description of our hobby. Congratulations, prz_: your idea was accepted.

I also noticed that a few logs had recent updates not concerning our team's languages. I guess the challenge will be good to keep the rare languages present in everybody's mind.

There's also one or two that are a bit more of a concern, but I'm following that closely. At least, no one seems to have abandoned the forum.

That's it. Have a nice month.

Edited by Luso on 10 February 2014 at 1:50pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 88 of 223
17 February 2014 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
- გამარჯობა!
- გამარჯობა! რას აკეთებ?
- ცოტა გერმანულს ვსწავლობ.
- ცხადია, რომ ენების სწავლა შენთვის სერიოზული ჰობია.
- სერიოზული არ არის, ასე რომ იყო, ჰობი არ იქნებოდა. მაგრამ ძალიან მომწონს და ამით ძალიან
ხშირად საქმიანი ვარ.
- გავიგებ. სხვა ჰობი გაქვს?
- კი, სხვა ჰობი მაქვს. მაგალითად, სამეჯლისო ცეკვა მომწონს.
- სამეჯლისო ცეკვა?! ეს ნელი და მოსაწყენი ხომ არ არის?
- რას ამბობ, კაცო?! პირიკით, საინტერესო და გასართობია. სინამდვილეში, ბრაზილიურ საცეკვაო
სტილის ვსწავლობ და ვარჯიშობ: სამბას და ფორროს. ორივე ჩქარი და დინამიკური ცეკვევაა.
- კარგად. დიდი მადლობა განმარტებებისთვის. ახლა უნდა წავიდე, შვიდზე ტანგოს გაკვეთილი მაქვს.
ნახვამდის!
- ნახვამდის!

- Hello!
- Hello!
- What are you doing ?
- I'm learning a little German .
- It is clear that language learning is a serious hobby for you .
- It Is not serious. If it were serious, then it wouldn't be a hobby. But I like it and
i'm often busy with it.
- I see. Do you have other hobbies ?
- Yes, I do. For example, I like ballroom dancing.
- Ballroom dancing?! Isn't it slow and boring?
- What are you saying, man ? On the contrary, it's interesting and fun. In fact, I
learn and practice Brazilian dance styles: samba and forro. Both are fast and dynamic
dances.
- Alright. Thanks a lot for the explanations. Now I have to go, I've got tango lessons
at seven. See you!
- See you!

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version