Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 122 of 223
02 April 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
FIRST QUARTER REPORT

1. Purpose and scope of this summary

When I volunteered to lead this team, I thought of making use of some of my experience in reporting. I understand some forum members already include summaries of their activity in their logs, but I'd like to add a bit of forecasting in this instance.

2. Team structure

Up to now, we have 10 members from 7 countries, learning 7 languages (representing 5 families).

We work with 6 scripts. How cool is that?

Level-wise, there are quite a few As, along with a few Bs. All in all, a nice diverse sample.

3. Team progress and cohesion

It's quite difficult to offer mutual support under these conditions. The knowledge is not transferable, even between languages of the same family.

This has implications on the activities, as it makes no sense to insist on grammar drills, or whatever. I think it's far more interesting to bring up universal concepts, such as proverbs. That went well, I think.

Speaking of cohesion, there's a subject I feel I must bring up: looking at members' logs, I notice there's a few that haven't been updated for quite a while. I really don't want to exclude anyone, but please let us know whether you want to continue or not. Or maybe we can help with something?

4. Second quarter forecast

As the year progresses, it's usual for our updates to become less frequent. Spring comes, then summer. School years end, we go on vacation. That's just natural.

If you look at challenge participation, you'll notice that it's slowly declining. If we turn it into some kind of chore unrelated to actual language learning, by summer we risk having no one doing it on a regular basis (except for Expugnator, of course - you inspire us, my friend).

I think that translating a song is a bit taxing on people beginning an exotic language. However, if you feel like doing it, I won't object. However, I'd like to offer an alternative: why don't we choose one unusual feature of our target language and explain it here? It doesn't require a lot of actual knowledge (or time, for that matter) and it will be both fun and informative.

Please let me know what you think. If you agree, we can keep it for a few months.

5. Feedback

This is an "edit" section, designed to incorporate further suggestions.

Renaissancemedi suggested presenting our languages. When I was in the U.S., we set up "cultural presentations", and I think we can do the same here, to everyone's benefit. Great idea!

Edited by Luso on 02 April 2014 at 9:57pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 123 of 223
02 April 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
I absolutely agree.

As for participation, I think that even few members can make a team, and keep it going. Perhaps some of the most rare members will come back to us at some point.

For example, I am total beginner in Hebrew, but as soon as I make some progress you'll hear a lot more from me. As for the challenges they kept me going through a month I wanted to give up everything, so for me this is a very important team!
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 124 of 223
02 April 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
How about a long term kind of challenge, where we combine a presentation of our respective languages, include all the cultural, linguistic, and other things that attracted us to them, and write some words or phrases while we are at it?

I'm brainstorming, but you get the idea.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4124 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 125 of 223
02 April 2014 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Great report, Luso.

In my case, I'm not updating frequently because it's not been a month yet since I started, so there's not much to report. I want to update only when the content is worth reporting, because it also helps me to recapitulate (for example, my last log post on discovering how the Nahuatl numerary system works actually really helped cement the numbers in my head); at a more personal level, this is also a measure against burnout.

Renaissancemedi beat me to the punch regarding the presence of the team. Even as a latecomer, I really appreciate being in a team, not because of the potential benefitting of knowledge through another member's work, but rather because I can learn from the work ethics of the team's members and appreciate it.

I'd love to investigate more on my language's unique features, so I dig the proposed challenge.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 126 of 223
02 April 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm happy you like the idea Luso :)

Any suggestions from your cultural presentations' experience?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 127 of 223
02 April 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I agree with the challenge on presenting a unique feature. Funny how, after 2 years
studying Georgian, the grammar features themselves don't seem so 'unique' or 'exotic'.
I'll really have to thing out of the box for doing that ;)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 128 of 223
02 April 2014 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
I have a feeling I may find something exotic in hebrew grammar ;)

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version