Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 57 of 223
22 January 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
The word I figured out was اُسكن and the word you didn't know is lugha = language. I checked the spelling with my favorite Arabic dictionary - Aratools

Luso, thanks for the feedback - I fixed the typos. It's been a long time since I typed anything in the language :)

Ok, then you should check again. I know the word for language. If you see my comment, that's not the problem. The problem is the third word between "language" and "Arabic". What you say confirms my guess that you were going to write something else and left it there.

EDIT: There are a few other typos in your text. Maybe you'd like to run it by Google Translate. I know it's a poor tool for non-European languages, but it's better than nothing.
I say this because I know that it's not an easy spelling to nail, and I want to be your teammate, not the guy that harasses you endlessly every time you post a text.

Edited by Luso on 22 January 2014 at 10:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4441 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 58 of 223
23 January 2014 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Ooh, found it and fixed - seems I didn't delete a misspelled lugha in there.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 59 of 223
25 January 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I rearranged things a bit in the first page and put the links to January's challenge replies on the third post of the thread.

There are six cases (out of nine possible) where the challenge was met. For A0 learners, it was almost impossible, given the difficulty of some of the languages. I'll use this as a pretext to congratulate Hekje, since she managed to address the challenge, having departed from A0. Well done indeed.

On a more technical note, I discovered here how to link to a specific post, in case someone is wondering how it's done.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4493 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 60 of 223
25 January 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Luso. I didn't know I could write that much before the challenge, so it was very useful for me.

Following Expugnator's example, I decided to record my challenge as well:

Audio Recording - Indonesian Introduction

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4441 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 61 of 223
27 January 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I re-read Hekje's entry and I can't believe that - you're really starting from scratch?? O_o

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 62 of 223
29 January 2014 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
A couple of years ago I posted a link to the online videos and transcripts in several foreign languages at LangMedia.

Since I first stumbled on the site, the colleges involved have added more videos (and their transcripts). Here are ones that I think would interest you.

Arabic in Jordan (includes some video reenactments of situations or exchanges described in phrasebooks; a handy way to see such language in action)
CultureTalk Egypt (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Egyptian Arabic and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Arab Levant (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Levantine Arabic and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Iraq (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Iraqi Arabic and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk North Africa (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Algerian, Moroccan or Tunisian Arabic and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Western Sahara (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Hassaniyan Arabic and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Yemen (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Yemeni Arabic and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)

CultureTalk Indonesia and CultureTalk Malaysia (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Malayo-Indonesian and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Tanzania (videos by native speakers on various cultural facets with videos that I sampled being in Swahili and coming with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
Swahili (combined index) (includes some video reenactments of situations or exchanges described in phrasebooks; a handy way to see such language in action)

Enjoy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 63 of 223
29 January 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Chung. I'd already seen part of it, but I didn't remember how much of a treasure trove it was.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 64 of 223
29 January 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I was looking and it seems a sort of a transition/preparation to Gloss, even though Gloss
does have material of lower level. Really important for rare languages. One can move
there right after one's favorite textbooks and then continue with Gloss, if that's the
case.

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version