Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 177 of 223
01 July 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
You're right about my part of Brazil. It's been several years since we had an actual winter here.

I'd like to thank you for this post and for the good leadership, Luso. I'm glad we manage to keep a team of people interested in so diverse languages one from another.

My suggestion for a challenge is about the news. I thought about each of us reading a news item - it can be a short, factual article - on their target language and write a summary of it in a couple of sentences.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 178 of 223
02 July 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comment about my leadership. I've had these ideas about steering a TAC team for a couple of years. Team Rare is my live experiment, so to speak. It really is nothing much, if you have some management background. And I'm having fun doing it.

As far as the challenge is concerned, I think it can open new horizons, and is therefore a good idea. Learning news terminology is a good way of getting able to visit sites in your target language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4440 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 179 of 223
15 July 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Comparing the second quarter report to the first quarter report, I see only 3 people have dropped out. That's great!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 180 of 223
16 July 2014 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Comparing the second quarter report to the first quarter report, I see only 3 people have dropped out. That's great!

I have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news first: 3 persons represent 30% (out of 10); at that rate, there would be no one by the end of the year.

The good news is that those 3 persons dropped out during the first quarter (I only took them out of the list after 4 months, which means they had already left before), and no one seems to be gone (really gone) since.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4123 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 181 of 223
17 July 2014 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Not completely sure if I'm being considered amongst the drop-outs, but as I promised, here I am, checking back in for duty. The move to another country didn't pan out, which means I'm back to the schedule I had pre-crazy moving preparations and whatnot, which in turn means I can go back to the study schedules I had before taking leave from the team (yay!).

Looking forward to this month's challenge. However, I need to do a small modification. There are no news outlets in Nahuatl (that I know of at this point, anyway), but there is a Wikipedia. May I do the challenge with an article from it instead?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 182 of 223
17 July 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno, no one "drops out" by being absent for a couple of weeks (especially after announcing it). It only shows you didn't read the posts. Since they are a bit boring (and not strictly language-related), I'd say: good for you.

Regarding your question, the answer is obviously yes. I still considered a tongue-in-cheek answer that would have you searching for original Aztec news articles, but sometimes that does not go very well in this forum, and I don't want to spend the next few pages trying to clarify things.

I'm not going to do anything this month with Sanskrit but, if I were, I'd also be doing a modified version of the challenge, although every classical language must be a treasure trove of news' reporting.

Having written that, I'm doing the Super Challenge, and there seems to be people attempting "impossible" languages (in broad terms, the SC consists of seeing 100 movies and reading 100 books in 20 months). You could ask them how they do it.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4123 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 183 of 223
17 July 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Luso!
I hold back from joking in here sometimes too--guess humor is not as universal as one would think, so it's better to keep it safe and keep HTLAL going in peace, huh?

I think maintaining a Nahuatl online news site would be the cat's whiskers, though. It would both really validate the language as a viable modern communication channel, and it would help keep the native community informed. Guess that's something I can put on my bucket list!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 184 of 223
19 July 2014 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
So, here's the article I read:

BRICS

I will refrain from writing a summary in Georgian because that would mean writing almost the same words. It is about the new bank of the BRICS, why is was created, how each country participates in it and which countries may join it in the future. Enough with this as politics is not allowed ;)

As for the effect in my language learning, I'm glad it seemed much easier now than the first and the second times I tried reading some news at this site. Now I can more or less make syntactical sense of the Georgian period, something that is often underrated by people avid by doing SRS (not my case, fortunately). As if it weren't enough, Google Translate is coming with a near perfect translation, which means it also improved enormously both Georgian-English and English-Portuguese (yeah I know English is still the connecting language).

I like the challenge and I think it was quite motivating to come back and see some improvement.

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version