Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 161 of 236
05 November 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
The number of daily Anki reviews had gotten a bit high for me so I stopped adding new cards for a while. 50-60 cards per day to review is okay but if the average grows to 70 then it starts getting difficult. It's doable for a while but not for long.

I'm still working on reordering my vocabulary list. I went through all the 2000 words from the book but there's still a lot of work left to do. I hope I can finish it this week but that may be too optimistic. In any event, I'll get back to studying more grammar after that.

Yesterday I went to watch the traditional Korean music show World Beat Vinari. It was interesting from an intellectual point of view but it's not my favorite kind of music. There were lots of Koreans in the audience, of course, but I didn't know any of them and I didn't feel like walking up to strangers. It's kind of sad. I thought that by going to the Korean classes I would develop some contacts with the local and Korean people but so far it hasn't really happened. They're all students and they keep to their own circles. I don't think I fit in there.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 162 of 236
06 November 2014 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
Most of the students over here are getting too young for me, so I no longer fit well with them either :D Luckily I found my tandem, who will be here at least a year longer (and I guess indefinitely if she finds a job after finishing her studies). I found her through a Korean-German internet forum. Do you have anything like it in Latvia? It might be worth a try to look for someone there... I'm sure there must be the occasional Korean person who works in Latvia? I have to admit I'm very lucky that my area has a sizeable Korean population.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 163 of 236
07 November 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
I guess there must be some Koreans working here but I don't know how to reach them. There's no internet forum, there's only the club that consists mostly of local students. Oh well, I don't really need Koreans in order to learn Korean so it's all good. Besides, I may have found a regular penpal from Korea so I can practice Korean writing with her if I feel like it.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 164 of 236
12 November 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
I had a software testing certificate exam on Monday so I had to dedicate some time to study for it but I still found a lot of time to work on the Korean word list. I'm almost at the 1700 word mark now. Considering there are almost 4000 words in the list, that might not seem like much but actually I'm very close to finish now. It's because the further you go down the list, the less the word order matters, and also because I will no doubt want to revise it again so I can leave the later parts for later.

Working with the list has once again made me aware how many words I still don't know even though I have been reviewing them for months. It's the downside of trying to learn words in isolation without a context. I do believe that the problem will fix itself as soon as I start reading. I hope that will happen next year.

Yoona's Street finished yesterday. It's a drama I would really recommend to others because the writing and acting was great. I watched the last 14 episodes without subtitles so I'm quite vague on many of the later plot points but the ending was satisfying and good and fitting. I think. I will rewatch it with subtitles later.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 165 of 236
17 November 2014 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I came across some new resources:

Conversational Korean - this one is mostly for beginners, it has very nice Youtube videos.

KOSNET - this is a great site as well. It has courses for beginners and also textbooks (in e-book format) for those who can handle Korean textbooks without any English. It also has a few books on Korean culture and history and one of them is even in English! I've been wanting to learn more about the history of Korea but I didn't have a good resource. Well, now I have one. The only drawback of this site is that you have to register in order to get access to all the materials. But it's no big deal, it's all free.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 166 of 236
19 November 2014 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was a public holiday in Latvia and I spent all of it working on sorting the Korean vocabulary list. I really wanted to just get it done, it was taking up way more of my time than I had anticipated. Well, the good news is that I managed to finish the sorting. The first 2300 words are sorted rather carefully, the next thousand not that much, and the rest is almost not sorted at all. But the bad news (okay, not really bad) is that I somehow managed to add more than 400 new words during this sorting process and now I will have to look up their English definitions and enter them into Anki. If we take an average of 2 minutes per word, that amounts to approximately 14 hours. I didn't expect it to be so much, I thought I added only 100-200 new words. Anyway, I'm going to try to do it as quickly as I can and then treat myself to some well deserved drama watching.

By the way, there was one thing bugging me about my paper dictionary. It says on the cover that it has "20,000 entries" but I had trouble believing there were 20,000 Korean words because I kept encountering words that were not there. Well, yesterday I finally did some counting and calculating, and my estimation is that the Korean - English part only has 8000-9000 entries. The other 11 thousand are probably the English entries. I find it strange that there are no separate numbers for each language but I actually love the dictionary itself. I find good, well thought-out dictionaries very trustworthy, and this one meets my criteria.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 167 of 236
28 November 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
I finally published the updated vocabulary deck last night. Phew. It has 4271 words now, and 402 of them are new (for me). I will just keep going at my usual pace and activating 4-6 words a day. Going through them all will last a while.

Now my plan is to work a bit on my sentence deck this weekend (I've been neglecting it) and then focus on German. I still have a couple of chapters left in my grammar book and I also want to publish a German - Latvian vocabulary deck. I promised my German teacher that I would. I hope to get it done by the end of this year.

I've also been going through the 한국어3 textbook on KOSNET in free moments at work. It's clearly meant for classroom use so I ignore most of the exercises and activities, I just read and study all the texts and dialogues. One interesting expression I encountered there was 어려운 사람. I thought it would mean "difficult people" but actually it means "poor people".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 168 of 236
01 December 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
One of my goals was to finish Korean Grammar in Use Beginner by the end of November, but it's not done yet. Maybe 80% or so. (By "finishing" I mean adding all the relevant sentences to my Anki deck.) I do really want to finish this book this year so I will have two priorities in December:

1) finishing this book,
2) translating my German word list into Latvian.

I also had some other goals for this year - grammar books to finish, Iyagis and drama transcripts to read, and I've done a lot of that but not as much as I had planned to. Organizing the Korean vocabulary deck interfered with many things for a long time. I'm so glad that it's all done now, I find myself with a lot more free time :)

Anyway, I won't force myself too much in December, it's been a long year. But I'm feeling enthusiastic and especially looking forward to achieving my German goals for the year. I want to switch to "maintenance" mode for my German next year so I have a very high motivation level to work on it in the remainder of this year.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version