Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 65 66 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 121 of 522
03 April 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
idk if you already know, but napuniti can also mean to fill something. (wiktionary also gives related meanings like to load or to stuff)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 122 of 522
03 April 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
No, I didn't realise that - thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 123 of 522
04 April 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
This evening has involved more wine than studying, but I was excited when I was on Twitter to see a link to a DW Hrvatski video
of the day about the Skopje 2014 project.

Makedonija: spomenici koji unose razdor

It's only a short video but has some great shots of Skopje and it was really interesting to here more about the controversies.

My partner and I are going to Skopje for a few days in September, so I watched it for a second time with him so he could see
the pictures, even if he couldn't follow the words. He understood the word "spomenik", so two terms of Croatian class haven't
been wasted ;)

Otherwise I have just been catching up on Memrise watering. Someone else is using my BCS course on there now and left a message
to let me know that both 'geografski' and 'zemljopisan' are translated as 'geographical', so that when you are asked to
translate 'geographical' you only have a 50% chance of getting it right. I feel a little embarrassed as I have been irritated
by that myself dozens of times when watering the words via my app, but never got around to correcting the words in the database
when I was sitting at my PC.

Edited by Radioclare on 04 April 2014 at 9:50pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 124 of 522
05 April 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
My vacuum cleaner broke this morning which was a bit upsetting but gave me some
unexpected free time to study Croatian.

I continued working through chapter 12 of the BCS textbook, learning the words from
section A4 and reading the associated grammar points, which were mostly around
expressing dates.

I learned some new vocabulary, including:

nepasti - to attack
proglasiti - to proclaim
nezavisnost - independence
Osovina - axis

I also learned that the letters SAD stand for Sjedinjene Američke Države; I have been
wondering what it meant for ages.

I then wrote out all the C exercises. The first one involved writing sentences with
numbers in the past tense and felt incredibly painful, but I was pleasantly surprised
when I later checked the answers online to find that I had only got one sentence out of
eleven wrong, and that was because I had somehow managed to read 2000 as 200. It may
have taken me an entire year, but I feel like I am finally mastering numbers.

Another exercise involved writing a paragraph about a room you remember. I don't know
what it is about these exercises... I know it's necessary to write stuff like this when
you're practising a language but as soon as I try to think of something to say my mind
goes blank. This was certainly the case here and I gave up after a few sentences:

Quote:
Sjećam se svoje prve spavaće sobe. To je bila velika, prostrana soba u kući
mojih roditelja. Prvi put sam spavala u vlastitoj sobi kad sam imala tri godine. To se
dogodilo dva tjedna prije rođenja moje mlađe sestre. Moji su roditelji htjeli da mi se
sviđa moja soba i da tamo budem sretna prije dolaska novog djeteta. Zidovi su bili
ružičasti i plafon je bio plav, jer je plava još uvijek moja omiljena boja. Imala sam
krevet, noćni ormarić, zrcalo i tepih. I tepih je bio plav.

At the end of each chapter there are some aphorisms by Dušan Radović, which are the
only reading practice I am doing in Serbian at the moment. Sometimes I just don't
understand them (as in, I understand the words, but not the point they are trying to
express), however one of the ones I read today made me smile:

Quote:
Страшно је то кад имате нешто важно да испричате, а немате коме. А још је
страшније кад имате коме, а немате шта.

In general I am quite pleased with the progress I've made this week. It has been
massively helped by working within 30 minutes of my home, which is pretty unusual for
me and has given me what seems like an incredible amount of spare time some days. I'm
working about 50 miles away for most of the rest of April, but I'm going to try and
keep up as much grammar and vocab learning as I can this month in the hope of signing
up for the Super Challange in May (if I can get my head round the rules!).

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 125 of 522
06 April 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
On the way back from church today I listened to some more of the BCS audio; from the
start of lesson 11 to the end of lesson 13. I didn't go further than lesson 13 because
I haven't learned the vocab beyond the end of lesson 12, so when I got to the end I
amused myself with some more Hladno Pivo.

Once I got home I started working through chapter 13 of the BCS textbook. I learned
some more new words:

točiti - to serve a beverage
popraviti - to repair
sebičan - selfish
skloniti - to put away
čarobnjak - wizard
obraditi - to work through

I wrote out all the dialogues and vocabulary from the sections A1, A2 and A3. Each
dialogue was illustrating different uses of the conditional mood. This is one of the
things I am struggling with most in Croatian, so I have made extensive notes on all the
grammar explanations in the textbook. It was much better explained in this book than
in 'Teach Yourself Croatian' actually, and I think I got to the point where some of it
clicked. I'd been studying by about an hour by then, so gave up before section A4 and
will finish the chapter later in the week.

I am skipping my Croatian class tomorrow in order to watch Wrestlemania, so I wrote an
email to my teacher in Croatian to explain.

This afternoon I watched this week's Eurobox on Deutsche Welle. I'd already seen some
of the segments during the week (the one about the statues in Skopje and one about the
problems facing Romania when skilled workers emigrate) but there was an interest piece
about potential losses to the Austrian tourism industry as a result of the problems in
Crimea, and a piece which (I think!) was about protests in Madrid against crimes
committed by Franco. I struggled to follow that one a bit because my knowledge of
Spanish history is based on having read 'Winter in Madrid' on a train once. I have
bought a couple of books to remedy this situation before I go to Spain in June!

I had a go at watching Saturday's 'Dnevnik' on the HRT website afterwards, but as per
usual I found it really hard-going. The main item was about an opinion poll on how
popular various politicians/parties were. I think I need to brush up on my knowledge of
Croatian politics to get anything out of it.

Aside from Croatian, today I have been reading 'The Britannica Guide to Russia' which
has reminded me how much I want to go to Russia. Maybe one day, when I've finished
learning Croatian and started learning Russian!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 126 of 522
08 April 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I didn't update my log yesterday because the evening was dedicated to watching Wrestlemania. I wish I'd bet more than £5 on Brock Lesnar to beat Undertaker!

I did do some studying earlier in the day though because I have quite a long commute this week.

In the morning I caught up with Memrise watering and started planting the vocabulary from lesson 13 of the BCS textbook. I've still got quite a lot to plant, but so far it is going quite well because I'm already vaguely familiar even with the new words from having read some of the chapter on Sunday. I find Memrise works best for me when it reinforces the meaning of words that I have already seen in context rather than when I am learning words from scratch.

On the train home in the evening I reread chapter 12 of the BCS textbook (the one which deals with the grammar of numbers) on my Kindle. I don't think I can ever remind myself of those rules too often!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 127 of 522
08 April 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Wrestlemania was so good that I've spent most of this evening watching yesterday's RAW.

I have, however, finished planting all the words from chapter 13 of the BCS textbook at
Memrise now. It took quite a while because there was a long list of vocab for academic
subjects at the end.

On the train today I also started rereading the parts of chapter 13 which I studied on
Sunday. I think I probably need to read them again tomorrow but am travelling with
colleagues (aaarrgh!) so may have to make polite conversation instead.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 128 of 522
09 April 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
As I suspected, being on the train with colleagues wasn't terribly conducive to studying. I managed to water the words from chapter 13 of the BCS
textbook that I had planted yesterday on Memrise.

On the train home I read chapter 13 again, including section A4 which I hadn't looked at over the weekend. New words from this section were:

itekako - definitely
poništiti - to stamp, to void
uputstva - instructions

I am guessing that 'poništiti' has a similar meaning to 'entwerten' in German so thinking this could be a useful word to know when travelling. The
first time I went to Zagreb, I couldn't work out how to buy a tram ticket. The second time I went, I succeeded in buying one from a kiosk but couldn't
see a machine anywhere to stamp it (though I'm pretty sure that's what you're supposed to do). Now that I have learned the word 'poništiti', hopefully
I will be able to ask someone next time.

The grammar in this section of the book was an explanation of how to use 'koji' as a relative conjunction (not very interesting) and an explanation of
when to use compound conjunctions such as 'nego što' (extremely interesting).

I thought about writing out the C exercises from this chapter this evening, but gave up when I looked at the first one and found it was to write a
paragraph on the theme 'Šta bih radila da imam vremena i novca?' That is definitely a weekend job for when I'm fully awake!

It's now two years since I've been learning Croatian which seems a bit depressing when you consider the progress I've made. I'm trying to console
myself with the thought that the fact that I started learning two years ago doesn't mean that I have actually been learning for two years ;)

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version