Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63 ... 65 66 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 497 of 522
09 December 2014 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Wow, that's a great song! Gotta listen to more of Hladno pivo.
as for "velikih hrvata", I think it's natural that this sounds like a stronger h - it's two h's in a row and then a syllabic consonant. the h in Hrvatska generally sounds stronger than average to me.

Your description is fine btw :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 498 of 522
09 December 2014 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
@Chung, what do you hear in Ukrainian? And how much Russian listening have you done?

Unscientific as it is, I hear Ukrainian ґ as 'g' in 'golf', г as 'h' in 'hotel' and х as 'ch' in 'loch' (or Polish chudy). My Russian listening so far has been done with all of the audio in Oxford Take off in Russian and these dual-language texts.

When it comes to the realization of h / x in BCMS/SC, perhaps my ears aren't totally fooling me on detecting more "h" than "ch"...

Magner, Thomas. “Introduction to the Croatian and Serbian Language” (Revised Edition). University Park, Pennsylvania, USA: 1991. p. 203 wrote:
h calls for a "scraping" sound, made in the same position as k. [...] This sound, a voiceless velar fricative, is like the h sound in English hill or have but with more breath.

To me the sound in hill or have is different from loch, although I don't really know how much more breath is "proper".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 499 of 522
09 December 2014 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I have to confess I am a little bit obsessed with Hladno Pivo; they are definitely my favourite band at the moment :)

Not completely unrelated to this conversation, one of the things I have noticed from all my SC TV-watching is that sometimes people seem to say 'fala' instead of 'hvala'. I didn't include it in my post the other day because I'm not sure whether it's slang or part of a regional dialect/accent. I don't think I've heard anyone say it in real life (except in Macedonia obviously!) but it's definitely popular with characters in the TV series I'm watching, especially in certain expressions like "Fala Bogu".

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 500 of 522
09 December 2014 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

Magner, Thomas. “Introduction to the Croatian and Serbian Language” (Revised Edition). University Park, Pennsylvania, USA: 1991. p. 203 wrote:
This sound, a voiceless velar fricative, is like the h sound in English hill or have but with more breath.

To me the sound in hill or have is different from loch, although I don't really know how much more breath is "proper".

This description also works for Russian, imo. BTW some pretty good Spanish materials also say that h is a much closer approximation for an English speaker than the Scottish ch. (especially since most non-Scottish learners can't pronounce it anyway) It's natural that in languages/dialects that have both h and x, the x will be much stronger than in those where it makes no difference.
Basically, I find the Scottish/German comparison as inaccurate as saying that the Slavic polite form is like German "Sie". Sure, it might help an English speaker who speaks German, but it can be very misleading too.

Fun fact: in our English classes we were actually taught to pronounce loch as lock, since that's how most people pronounce it. Maybe also because otherwise it would sound like a swear word in Russian...
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 501 of 522
09 December 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
It also depends on the dialect in Spanish though. I hear much stronger jota sounds in
Madrid compared to Bogotá.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 502 of 522
10 December 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Last night was momentous as I finally watched the last two episodes of 'Bitange i Princeze'. I have been watching this sit-com since May and got through five series, which consisted of 106 episodes. I don't think I have ever watched so many episodes of one programme in such a short space of time in my entire life. It was quite sad to watch the final episode, as the reason it was the final episode was that one of the actors died in real life. What I'd read on the internet before made it sound like he had died quite suddenly from a stroke, but I think he must have known he was ill because they killed the character in the programme and spent the episode recapping his best bits, then had filmed a final scene with him at the end which left it ambiguous as to whether he had died or faked his death and gone to live in Bjelovar.

That takes me to 89 'films' anyway, so I need to find something else to watch to complete the Super Challenge. I'm thinking of trying a Montenegrin TV series set in Budva which Serpent told me about a while ago.

Page 231 of 'Nespokoj'. I've only been reading on the commute to work and not on the commute home (somehow I seem too stressed to concentrate on the way home at the moment) so only averaging about 20 pages a day and not going to hit 200 books before the end of the year.

I've just got a new phone which has a more recent version of Android, and that means I've been able to downloaded an updated Memrise app. It seems really good and a lot more advanced than the older app I was using before, so I cleared a lot of my Memrise backlog last night when trying it out.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 503 of 522
10 December 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I have to confess I am a little bit obsessed with Hladno Pivo; they are definitely my favourite band at the moment :)

Not completely unrelated to this conversation, one of the things I have noticed from all my SC TV-watching is that sometimes people seem to say 'fala' instead of 'hvala'. I didn't include it in my post the other day because I'm not sure whether it's slang or part of a regional dialect/accent. I don't think I've heard anyone say it in real life (except in Macedonia obviously!) but it's definitely popular with characters in the TV series I'm watching, especially in certain expressions like "Fala Bogu".

I've seen fala enough times on Croatian or Serbian forums and Facebook. To my ears, it's pretty much expected when hvala is used colloquially and spoken quickly.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 504 of 522
10 December 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Hey, Radioclare, I admit I haven't been following your log recently but I noticed how
great you're doing in the now running 6wc! Great job, I wish you lots of fun in the final
few days. :-)

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version