Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 129 of 522
10 April 2014 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I started planting the vocab from chapter 14 of the BCS textbook at Memrise today, but I haven't got very far yet. The first text in the chapter seems
to be a recipe and there are a lot of new words to learn.

I didn't want to jump too far ahead with that chapter before I'd wrapped up the exercises in chapter 13, so on the train this morning I started reading
the BCS grammar book instead. I had this for my birthday in November and read it through once before Christmas, which sort of blew my mind. I thought
it might be a good idea to try reading it again, in small instalments this time. I didn't get very far today - only the introductory pages about
alphabets and pronunciation. I felt inadequate when it told me it would be highly worthwhile to learn the order of letters in the Cyrillic alphabet by
rote from the outset. I think I could make a stab at the first half of the alphabet, but the second half is definitely beyond me. I think I need to
find a Serbian children's TV show featuring an alphabet song.

This evening I watched the new Eurobox on DW Hrvatski, as I knew I wouldn't have time at the weekend. Topics included Gerhard Schröder's links to
Putin, protests against corruption in Bulgaria, the bank in Siena and (I think!) a change to the law in Spain which means that street musicians need a
licence to busk. I also tried listening to some of the radio clips on the website, as sometimes I feel like watching with pictures is cheating because
you can guess a lot from the context. I listened to a broadcast from Radio Split which was predominantly about fish, and I kind of lost the will to
live in the middle. I tried another one from Radio Rijeka which was more lively and had some discussion about food in Germany.

Edited by Radioclare on 10 April 2014 at 11:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 130 of 522
11 April 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
On the train to work this morning I continued reading the BCS grammar book and am now at the end of chapter 1. This covered gender,
pronouns, present tense conjugations and questions, so all pretty basic stuff but a refresher does no harm.

Ideally I'd like to reread the entire book during April but not sure how realistic this is because I have family commitments this
weekend and the four-day Easter holiday will be dominated (=ruined) by the British Esperanto Conference. Probably best if I don't
get started on that. I was thinking that I should perhaps introduce a rule to my log that I'm only allowed to rant about the
Esperanto movement if I do so in Croatian.

Palo mi je na pamet da zapravo ne znam kako se kaže 'Esperanto' na hrvatskom. To jest, nisam znala da li se jezik zove samo
'Esperanto' kao na engleskom, ili ima li neko drugo ime. Pogledala sam internet-stranicu hrvatskog
saveza za Esperanto
da saznam i naučila sam da postoje barem jedan savez za Esperanto koji ima još goru internet-stranicu od
britanskoga ;)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 131 of 522
12 April 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
My mission for this morning was to try to find a Serbian alphabet song on Youtube. I failed completely, but I did succeed in finding a
Russian alphabet song which, while not being terribly useful for learning Serbian,
will perhaps help me when I ultimately return to learning Russian.

I continued planting the vocabulary from lesson 14 of the BCS textbook on Memrise but all the recipe words are new to me so it is taking a
long time.

I have also entered the vocabulary from lesson 15 into Memrise ready for planting. I was going to enter lesson 16 as well, but when I
started flicking through the word lists they were so long that I decided I couldn't face it today! I think there is plenty to keep me busy
in chapter 13, 14 and 15 for the time being.

This afternoon I tackled the C exercises in chapter 13, specifically exercise C2 which required writing a paragraph on the theme "Što bih
radila da imam vremena i novca?". I managed a few lines and have put them on Lang-8 in the hope of learning from corrections.

EDIT: I'm a idiot who was searching for a Serbian alphabet song in English. Once it occurred to me to search in Serbian this evening, I
found one straight away!

Serbian alphabet song

Edited by Radioclare on 12 April 2014 at 9:52pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 132 of 522
12 April 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
There's also a GLOSS lesson dedicated to it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 133 of 522
13 April 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Sorry for a stupid question but what is GLOSS and where
would I find it? When I tried googling I started getting lip
gloss and gloss paint!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 134 of 522
13 April 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Global Language Online Support System
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 135 of 522
13 April 2014 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you to Serpent and Chung for pointing me in the direction of GLOSS! It looks great,
especially as it has both Serbian and Croatian.

Today I watched the Serbian alphabet song a million times and I am pleased to report that
I think I am getting the hang of it. I did the alphabet GLOSS lesson this evening and
while the text about the history of the alphabet pushed my Serbian reading ability to the
limit, I was happy that when it came to an exercise of rearranging the letters in the
correct order I got it right. The letters I have struggled with most are ђ and ћ.

The sentences I wrote at Lang-8 got corrected and there were only a few errors, none of
which were to do with my use of the conditional so I was also pleased about that.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 136 of 522
14 April 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm still slowly working through my way through the vocabulary from chapter 14 on
Memrise. I think I've learned about 50 out of 128 words now.

My favourite new word is 'dizati' (to raise), because it suddenly clicked for me this
morning that this must be related to the word 'dizalo' (lift/elevator).

The CroVoc website has been having an Easter competition where you have to try and find
the 100 most searched-for words on their website, so I have managed to waste quite a
bit of time doing that. Most of them were quite obvious but a few I was surprised by
(eg. 'brojati' is apparently the 19th most popular search).

I've had two different corrections to my conditional practice text at Lang-8, so I've
rewritten it incorporating the feedback:

Quote:
Što bih radila da imam vremena i novca?

Da imam novca, udala bih se, zato što sam zaručena već pet godina, a nemam novaca za
svadbu.

Da imam slobodnog vremena, mogla bih putovati po Europi i posjetiti prijatelje u drugim
zemljama. Željela bih otputovati u Crnu Goru, u Sloveniju i u Srbiju.

Da imam vremena i novca, ne bih više radila kao računovođa, jer mrzim taj posao.
Doselila bih se u Hrvatsku i kupila bih lijepu kuću u Zadru. Zadar je moj omiljeni grad
u Hrvatskoj. Svaki dan bih učila hrvatsku gramatiku i čitala knjige na hrvatskom.

The most useful thing I have learned is that you can say 'putovati oko svijeta' but you
ought to say 'putovati po Europi' and 'putovati po Hrvatskoj', ie. use 'po' to express
the concept of travelling around. I don't think I have ever used the word 'po' in
Croatian before because I am unfairly prejudiced against it by an inability to use the
Esperanto word 'po' in anything approaching a correct manner.

This evening I have finished the C exercises in chapter 13 (and there were some really
useful practice sentences on the conditional) so now I am completely ready to move on
to chapter 14.

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version