Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55 ... 65 66 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 433 of 522
21 November 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Roll the r, try and pronounce it, and you'll find out it's not that impossible :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 434 of 522
21 November 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
You are assuming I can roll my r's :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 435 of 522
21 November 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
That's something you can learn :)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 436 of 522
22 November 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
So people tell me :D

I have got a bit better at it over the years and it doesn't normally cause me too many
problems in Croatian; I can manage something resembling an r if it follows a consonant,
and I can make a good enough attempt at words like 'trg', 'krk', 'prst' etc to be
understood.

It's more of a problem for me in Esperanto because I really struggle to make an r sound
where it follows a vowel. Eg. in Esperanto I struggle to differentiate between 'kato'
(cat) and 'karto' (card). When I speak Esperanto I have a coping strategy of trying to
avoid words with lots of r's in them. I know I can't pronounce the word 'terura'
(terrible) for example, so I always substitute it with 'malbonega' (really bad).

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 437 of 522
22 November 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
In that Esperanto case, I think a retroflex r (say, a General American one) is better than not saying the r at all (I assume you have a non-rhotic English accent).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 438 of 522
23 November 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I watched two episodes of 'Bitange i Princeze' last night on my phone, and another three this evening on my
computer, which is now working again thanks to a new charger :)

The two episodes I watched yesterday were probably the funniest ones I have ever seen. One of the characters works
for the Croatian secret services, who are portrayed as completely incompetent, spending most of their time
investigating imagined plots against what they refer to as their "neighbours in the north" (the Slovenes). In this
episode they upgraded their Google Maps and discovered a brand new island on the border between the two countries
and claimed that the Slovenes had strayed onto the Croatian half of it. Croatia took this as an excuse to declare
war on Slovenia and began preparing to invade them. There followed a lot of jokes at the expense of Slovenia, eg.
the Croatian government appealed for men to join up to the army, then was so overwhelmed by subscriptions that they
reported the number of new Croatian recruits to be greater than the population of Slovenia :)

They were good-natured jokes though and there were also plenty making fun of Croatians. One of the characters, who
works as a TV presenter, was supposed to be reporting on the war while wearing a patriotic red-and-white check
Croatian tie. He couldn't get the hang of tying the knot so it kept falling off his neck while he was on air,
leading him to curse it and say "Who invented these stupid ties anyway? It must have been a Slovene" :) To put the
jokes into context, this series was filmed in 2009, which is when Slovenia was blocking Croatia's entry into the EU
over long-running border disputes.

Serbs didn't get off scot-free either. A couple of Serbian characters who periodically crop up in the series
volunteered to be impartial observers of the war for the EU, in the hope that their good behaviour would help
improve Serbia's chances with its EU bid. It didn't really work out for them as they couldn't resist the temptation
to get involved in some war-profiteering, selling cheap Chinese ammunition to the Croats when they ran out. The
Croatian recruits hadn't had much training with ammunition, which led to two of the characters accidentally firing
on one of their own hospitals and being pursued by the Hague for war crimes in a subsequent episode.

My three funniest moments were probably...

- A rip-off of the famous song 'E moj druže beogradski' from the 1990's war, which they sang a spoof version of
called 'E moj druže mariborski' :)

- When the secret services were told they needed to disguise themselves as Slovenes and parachute into Ljubljana,
taking with them a 'poljski telefon' (field telephone) to stay in touch. They accidentally parachuted into Graz,
Austria instead and when they tried to use the phone to call home they ended up with an operator speaking Polish to
them. (The joke was a pun on the word 'poljski', which also means 'Polish').

- One of the Serbian characters was arguing with a Croatian character and wanted to say that he wouldn't help him
in a million years. He said he would do it "when Zemun is in Croatia'. In a subsequent argument the Croatian
character said that he wouldn't help the Serbian character "until Knin was in Serbia".

Understanding these jokes made me happy, because I was able to follow enough of both the language and the cultural
references to genuinely laugh at them :) And so no matter how much I complain about the SC films, I have to admit
that the 83 I have watched so far have had a massive impact on my listening ability.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 439 of 522
23 November 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
In that Esperanto case, I think a retroflex r (say, a General
American one) is better than not saying the r at all (I assume you have a non-
rhotic English accent).

Hmm, interesting - thank you :) My accent is definitely non-rhotic but I don't know
what an American r is like so I will have to investigate it. My r, or lack thereof, is
normally understood fine when talking to other native English-speaking Esperantists,
but has been known to cause hilarity in more international circles :)

I think r is quite problematic in Esperanto for lots of nationalities, albeit probably
for different reasons. I have heard a lot of French and German speakers pronounce it
horribly, and some native speakers who pronounce it as badly as I do because their
parents couldn't pronounce it properly.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 440 of 522
23 November 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I'm an American who lived in England for several years- northern England, all along the M-62. I remember how my ears would perk up whenever I would hear a hard "r" in English. Usually these people were Irish or Scottish because there were few Americans in that part of the country. My girlfriend's favorite TV show on Channel 5 (which I called "the American Channel"), "ER", she pronounced as (to my ears) "eee ahhh". Though I was very accustomed to her "vague northern" accent, whenever she would mention "eee ahhh", it always threw me for a loop. Along with Reese's Cups, Mexican food and basketball, I missed hearing hard "r's".

Once, my six year old daughter's school had a "pirate" day and she got into it with a stereotypical eye patch and a fake parrot on her shoulder, so cute. She knew that pirates said "Arrrrr" and "Shiver me timbers" which came out as "Ahhhhhh" and "Shivuh me timbuhs" to my ears. I was always curious about the origin of the pirate accent. The conventional theory was that English pirates had a West Country accent. Recently, I found this explanation that speaks more to pop culture (who ever heard a 17th century pirate speak?):

Dialect Blog wrote:
...Long John Silver lived in Bristol, England, supposedly the birthplace of Edward Teach, Blackbeard. In the early 1950s Disney produced films of “Treasure Island” (1950) and “Blackbeard the Pirate”(1952), and the same actor was used to play Silver and Teach – Robert Newton. Newton then reprised his role of Long John Silver for “Long John Silver” (1954) and the TV series “The adventures of Long John Silver (1955). Robert Newton was born and raised in Dorset, not far from Bristol, so he knew the West Country accent which Silver and Teach would have spoken in very well, and used it in those films. source

Clare, you've probably seen a massive amount of American films and television in your life but not really paid that much attention to the accent. My daughter (now 15, and still living in England) can do a passable general American accent, but it wasn't right until she consciously imitated my "r". Try to imitate an American "r" in English first. It may be easier, but you'll have to notice.

Only on HTLAL! Absurd Pirate Myths Everyone Believes from Movies- via Cracked

Edited by iguanamon on 23 November 2014 at 1:35am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version