Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 ... 65 66 Next >>
sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5186 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 201 of 522
10 June 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Thanks Vivian :) I think I should take a screenshot of the rankings
to capture this unexpected moment; I'm sure it won't last long!
I am really impressed also by @sctroyenne who seems to have an almost perfect balance
between books and films and has a star in each :)

Finally discovering my main competitors' logs ;)

I have to admit I took a screenshot when I took the lead and got my two stars. But only
because I knew I wouldn't hold on to it for long.

I, on the other hand, am impressed by the high reading totals. I get a good amount done
during my commutes but after too long my eyes just tend to glaze over. Though I'm a bit
more slow-going right now since I'm primarily reading history books which are quite
dense (I'll be reaching for the trashy fiction for my other languages).

I listen to a lot of podcasts and I watch Canal+ comedy news shows every day. Also over
Memorial Day weekend I had a little trash TV marathon which helped boost my totals.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 202 of 522
12 June 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on getting a third star, Anna :) It looks very impressive, it is bigger
than all the other stars!

I'm working in London for the rest of this week and so haven't been getting very much
done. Yesterday I read 31 pages of 'Polje Mačeva' and today I read 35. I haven't had
time to watch any more films, which is a bit disappointing.

I logged into my neglected Memrise account this morning and found that I had 754
Croatian words requiring watering. I promptly logged right back out again.

The amazingly good news though is that the problem with my boyfriend's passport has
been resolved and it is now apparently on its way. So I won't have to travel Spain on
my own, and learning of Spanish can be suspended :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 203 of 522
15 June 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been online much this week; I was working in London on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, then went straight to Esperanto House in Staffordshire
on Friday evening for the trustee working weekend, which has involved about 12 hours of meetings.

I also haven't got as much done for the Super Challenge as I would have hoped. I didn't have time to do anything at all on Thursday, although this
was partly because I took the evening off to watch Croatia play in the opening game of the World Cup. On Friday I read 32 pages of 'Polje Mačeva' on
the train to Stafford; I could have read more but I was sitting next to a really noisy group of girls on their way to a hen night in Liverpool so it
was quite hard to concentrate properly on Croatian.

Saturday was dominated by Esperanto meetings, but in the evening we had a break between the close of business and going out for dinner, which I used
to watch two more episodes of 'Bitange i Princeze'. I hadn't watched any of this since I started my Twilight reading marathon, so I was pleasantly
surprised to discover that I was suddenly understanding a *lot* more of the dialogue than when I first started watching it in May. The extensive
reading is obviously having some effect, even if I can't feel it when I am struggling through descriptions of Roman battles in 'Polje Mačeva'.

I read another 35 pages before bed on Saturday evening, and I was pleased to realise that I'd already surpassed my Tadoku target of 1,000 pages this
month. Perhaps I should have aimed a bit higher! The most exciting find of the day, however, is that the library at Esperanto House has a number of
Serbocroatian/Esperanto dictionaries, including this one,
which I spent some happy minutes flicking through during one of the breaks and which is now firmly on my wishlist. Unfortunately it's not a lending
library, so I couldn't borrow it.

Overall the Esperanto meeting was pretty productive. Nobody tried to speak Esperanto to me at breakfast which was a blessing. We spoke a little
Esperanto over dinner. Mainly it was good to be around friends, to share frustrations and experiences and to make some plans for the future. The
meeting took place in our library which has over 13,000 titles in Esperanto and I think sitting there surrounded by so many books all weekend
reminded me of how ignorant I actually am of Esperanto culture, how little Esperanto literature and poetry I have actually read, and how I should
really make more effort. Perhaps if I did, I would feel less inclined to kabei. I also felt guilty that I should try to write more in Esperanto. I
should try to write more, full stop. But then, there are a lot of things I should do, not least tidy my house where I have just realised that I
still have the Easter cards on the mantelpiece! I blame this on the Super Challenge ;)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 204 of 522
15 June 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I feel though that I would have to do a lot more than just read the same number of pages again to see the sort of progress I want in my Croatian, so
I'm tempted to challenge myself to read 100 actual books in Croatian rather than 100
'books'. I'm hesitating because I don't own anything like that quantity of Croatian
books and buying them seems rather expensive. Perhaps I should aim for 50 instead.
It's not just about the amount, but also the difficulty and the time span. I've realized that I have so much trouble with the new Super Challenge also because I don't have much faith in the idea anymore. I think it's an overkill. You're nearing the volume that I've read in Finnish for example, but it was over a much larger time span. I'd say it's best to just continue earning stars and gradually move towards more challenging materials.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 205 of 522
16 June 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Yes, I think the real challenge will not be reading 5,000 pages but continuing to read every day/week throughout the challenge.

Since the challenge started I've been using all my language learning time to either read or watch films, but now I'm thinking that it might be better to split my time more evenly between this and going back to studying grammar and vocab. I still have at least another 5 chapters which I haven't completed in my BCS textbook.

I'm going on holiday on Saturday and considering having two weeks off from Croatian, although this has less to do with the challenge and more to do with the overwhelming size of my pile of unread English books:

(Those aren't all my unread books, I have another small pile on my Balkans shelf).

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 206 of 522
16 June 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Yes, I think the real challenge will not be reading 5,000 pages but continuing to read every day/week throughout the challenge.

Since the challenge started I've been using all my language learning time to either read or watch films, but now I'm thinking that it might be better to split my time more evenly between this and going back to studying grammar and vocab. I still have at least another 5 chapters which I haven't completed in my BCS textbook.

Doesn't reading count toward your vocabulary? Or do you mean something different like Anki decks or Goldlists?

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 207 of 522
16 June 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Doesn't reading count toward your vocabulary? Or do you mean something different like Anki decks or Goldlists?

I'm a bit lazy when I read, so I only look up words when not knowing them is seriously hampering my understanding of the plot. Before the challenge started I was taking vocabulary from my textbook, creating courses with it in Memrise and practising them every day on the train. That increased my vocabulary significantly which has definitely helped with reading, but I've let it slip since May (I have 881 words which require watering on Memrise - aaargggh!) so I was contemplating going back to actively doing that.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 208 of 522
16 June 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, one of the biggest challenges is not neglecting your textbook-based learning etc :) Also remember that monolingual textbooks count, and so do texts from coursebooks.

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version