Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 377 of 522
21 October 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Yay that's good, I think I'll register then :) I normally enjoy it and I missed the August one because of my electricity problems.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 378 of 522
22 October 2014 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I'm on page 294 of 'Rajski čekić' now and have 819 pages for Tadoku, so I'm getting there :)

I didn't watch anything last night unfortunately as a I had a bit of a nightmare day. Left home at 06.45, got home at 20.15 and by the time I'd cooked and wasted half an hour of my life on the HMRC website trying to establish whether the Esperanto association should be charging VAT on exam fees, it was time for bed. It's an exciting life I lead :D

I should have some more time to read at the weekend because I'm going to London for an Esperanto discussion circle on Saturday. Actually I should read the notes to refresh my Esperanto and figure out what it is we're supposed to be discussing. But I ought to be able to read in Croatian on the train there and back at least. I may go to Foyles on Sunday just to stroke some books :)

I did sign up for the 6WC in the end. I want to work on my grammar and also on my Cyrillic reading/writing, as well as watching more films. I am running out of translated books to read until I get my birthday/Christmas presents, but I have two original Croatian novels which I think I might now be brave enough to try. One of them is called 'Što je muškarac bez brkova?' (What is a man without a moustache?) and I am thinking of trying to find the film and watching that, then reading the book and watching the film again to see how much more I can follow a second time. Assuming it's not really boring, of course!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 379 of 522
23 October 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Page 352 of 'Rajski čekić' and 872 pages for Tadoku :) At this rate I might manage to finish 'Rajski čekić' before the weekend and take a new book to London with me.

The guy who was doing the SC in six weeks has finished it :o But I'm not going to compare myself to that because some days he managed to watch 7 hours of films. I struggle even to find 7 hours to sleep :D

No TV last night because my other half came home after five days away in Italy. Was nice to see him - I don't really enjoy living alone.

I looked up the themes for the Esperanto discussion group:

1) Ĉu en kelkaj landoj UEA rifuzu starigi Universalan Kongreson? (Should the World Esperanto Association refuse to hold its annual conference in some countries?)

2) Defendu nekomunan aŭ eĉ nepopularan opinion. (Defend an unusual or unpopular opinion)

3) Montevideo: 60 jarojn poste (Montevideo: 60 years later)

4) Miskomprenoj (Misunderstandings)

Number 2) is a difficult one - I need to start thinking of an opinion I can defend!

I finally had my Christmas holiday confirmed by work. I have two weeks off with overtime, public holidays etc so I was hoping to go away for the week after Christmas but I'm struggling to find reasonable flights. Flying from the UK to Croatia outside the summer season is a virtual impossibility. Croatia Airlines has a few flights from Zagreb to Gatwick, but Gatwick isn't an airport I can easily get to. All the other airlines which run flights to Zadar, Split, Dubrovnik, Rijeka, Pula and even Osijek only seem to do so between May and the end of September :( For the past couple of years I have gone to Zagreb in the week before Christmas to see the Christmas markets (they have white gluehwein and hot rakija - it is amazing!), but flying via Ljubljana. Ljubljana is beautiful at Christmas too, but the flights are quite expensive after Christmas so it's perhaps not a good idea. All flights to eastern/central Europe are expensive the week after Christmas - or, at least, the flights back are expensive - because there are so many workers coming back to the UK after spending Christmas with their families, so having a holiday in western Europe might actually work out cheaper. Last year we went to Oslo for new year but it turned out to be a bit of a disaster as we had no idea how difficult it was to get alcohol there and pretty much all we could afford to eat was bread :D We shall see!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 380 of 522
23 October 2014 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Why don't you check out Beograd? Air Serbia has flights from London.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 381 of 522
23 October 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Defendu nekomunan aŭ eĉ nepopularan opinion. (Defend an unusual or unpopular opinion)

Croatian is worth learning ;)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 382 of 522
23 October 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Iverson wrote:
Why don't you check out Beograd? Air Serbia has flights from London.

That's a good idea :) I do have quite a lot of Serbian dinars left from my summer trip!

Serpent wrote:
Radioclare wrote:
Defendu nekomunan aŭ eĉ nepopularan opinion. (Defend an unusual or unpopular opinion)

Croatian is worth learning ;)

:D One of the people who is coming is originally from Slovenia and speaks Croatian too so I may actually get to practise a little bit with her :)

Edited by Radioclare on 23 October 2014 at 3:43pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 383 of 522
24 October 2014 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Unpopular opinions:

defend that Croatian is worth learning in Serbia

defend that Serbian is worth learning in Croatia

defend that Bosnian is worth learning in Srpska Republika

defend that any of these is worth learning anywhere outside the former Yugoslavia

Edited by Iversen on 24 October 2014 at 10:59am

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 384 of 522
24 October 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Disappointingly I haven't finished reading 'Rajski čekić' yet as I had a serious book
malfunction on my commute home yesterday. The plot was just starting to get really
exciting and I was reading as fast as I could to find out what happened before I had
to get off the train. I turned a page at a crucial moment and the next few sentences
suddenly didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I kept reading, but suddenly I really
didn't understand what was going on, so I flicked backwards and forwards a few times
and finally realised that my edition of the book was missing 20 pages!!!

I was rather upset but luckily when I got home it turned out that my boyfriend has the
book in English, so last night I was able to read the missing pages in English :)
Unfortunately I forgot to put the Serbian book back in my bag to read on today's
commute though, so I was reduced to some audiobook listening on the train instead: 46
minutes of 'Istorije slučaja'.

The funniest thing for me about reading some of the book in English was that I
realised I had been completely misunderstanding some people's names. I have the
Serbian translation so all the 'foreign' names are transliterated (in Croatian they
don't do this) but I thought I was doing pretty well, understanding that Majkl was
really Michael and Džudi was Judy. But one of the characters was a child called
'Dasti' and I couldn't figure out what that would be in English, so I had assumed it
was just a slightly strange name. It turns out that in the English version the name is
Dusty! Similarly I thought the characters lived in a valley called 'Ovens' and it
turns out it is actually a valley called 'Owens' :D

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version