Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 457 of 522
01 December 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
For children's books, I believe the rule was that 5 pages count as one
regular page, assuming large font and pictures. If there's really 100 words per page
that's actually quite a lot.

I just checked and it is approximately 100 words to pages, sometimes a bit more and
sometimes a bit less. They are 100 quite simple words though :D Here is an example
page.

If you think that looks okay to count 5 pages as 1 normal page then I might count some
when I get further into it; if I log every 5 pages I read as I go along I think I will
just get depressed about my reading speed :)

Thank you both for the advice about voicing/devoicing; you are both right and I know I
just need to practice it :)

It doesn't seem so difficult in German, but perhaps this is because I learned German
in a more natural way and so I never had to try and memorise rules like that.

I am very tempted to get the Macedonian CD now I see it's not as expensive as I
thought.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 458 of 522
02 December 2014 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
I recommend checking that with Cristina, but imo that's enough text to count 2-3 pages as one. (consistent with the fact that an average page is 250 words) The ease doesn't matter, if you had this book in normal print it would count as full.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 459 of 522
02 December 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, I will double-check before I count anything :)

Yesterday evening wasn't very productive because I figured I'd do some Christmas shopping before I got onto my language stuff, and then I never got onto my language stuff because I spent ages trying to refresh pages that wouldn't load. Grrr.

I've read another 18 pages of 'Nespokoj'. I love this book. I'm already feeling like I want to read it twice.

I didn't get a seat on the train last night so I started listening to a Ken Follett audiobook in Serbian: 'Papirni Novac'. I struggled to get into it, but that may have been because I was frustrated about standing on the train.

I'm still alternating between feeling like I have made some improvement in Croatian this year (I was listening to Christmas carols when walking to the office this morning and realised I could understand lyrics which were a mystery to me last Christmas!) and feeling frustrated with myself that I haven't achieved more. I am very excited about starting Macedonian next year though and over the next few weeks I think I just need to clarify my goals in each language so that I know exactly what I want to achieve and can make some sort of plan for how I'm going to manage my time.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 460 of 522
02 December 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Serpent wrote:
For children's books, I believe the rule was that 5 pages count as one
regular page, assuming large font and pictures. If there's really 100 words per page
that's actually quite a lot.

I just checked and it is approximately 100 words to pages, sometimes a bit more and
sometimes a bit less. They are 100 quite simple words though :D Here is an example
page.

If you think that looks okay to count 5 pages as 1 normal page then I might count some
when I get further into it; if I log every 5 pages I read as I go along I think I will
just get depressed about my reading speed :)

Thank you both for the advice about voicing/devoicing; you are both right and I know I
just need to practice it :)

It doesn't seem so difficult in German, but perhaps this is because I learned German
in a more natural way and so I never had to try and memorise rules like that.

I am very tempted to get the Macedonian CD now I see it's not as expensive as I
thought.

Looking at a book like that, I would go by word count rather than the "children's book standard". I use 300 words for my counts.

Word counts work both ways. I do count most of my Hindi children's books at the rate of 1 page counting for every 5 pages which have text. However, I read one the other day with 15 pages of text, but I only counted the book as 1 page, since there was only one line of text on every page. The important thing is to be flexible and realistic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 461 of 522
03 December 2014 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeffers :) Yes I have been going with 300 words to a page when working out a page count for pdfs, as 250 seemed a bit low. I don't think I have many books with only 250 words on a page tbh. Of course it is a lot easier to do a word count on a pdf than on an actual book, but I should be able to make a reasonable estimate :)

Yesterday was another day of disappointing achievement. I'm on page 56 of 'Nespokoj'. I got mildly excited when I recognised the word "glodari" (rodents) in the text as I only learned it at the weekend :) I learned on Twitter yesterday that the Serbian word for 'summit' (as in, a summit of world leaders) is 'samit' and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I guess 'summit' must be one of those words in English that has a funny a/u that I don't hear?

I didn't watch any Croatian TV because I spent my evening doing more Christmas shopping and watching wrestling. I need to watch more 'Bitange i Princeze' tonight.

I am quite excited by the December challenge for the SC, which is about slang. I already have some ideas both from TV and from my brief unsuccessful foray into Balkan chatrooms earlier in the year, so I started to make notes of a few words last night.

The evening ended on a sour note when I was made aware that a particularly despicable specimen of an Esperantist had made (yet another) tasteless comment on an old online article of his which I already found offensive. I am restraining myself from spending pages ranting about the detail of this, but there are two things I want to mention.

Firstly, that the original article relates to something which happened in 2010/11. I remember complaining to the editor of the news website on which it was hosted about this (or a similarly offensive article on the same theme by the same author, because there were several) on the basis that it was at best extremely tasteless and at worst libel. I lost all respect for the editor as a person when he refused to take it down. Back then, Google Translate for Esperanto didn't exist and I think there was an unconscious attitude in the Esperanto community that it didn't really matter if someone wrote something libellous about you in Esperanto. I certainly felt that way with comments made about me by the same individual; it's "only" Esperanto, so it doesn't matter, because the only people who will read it are Esperantists and they either know you, so will know it's not true, or are the sort of people where you don't care what they think about you anyway. But these days anyone could search your name, Google Translate the page, and read what's been said, and I think because of that, people are starting to take abuse in Esperanto as seriously as abuse in any other language. The editor of the website in question has since learned that the hard way himself, having been threatened with legal action for an article which was far less offensive than the one I'm talking about (the difference, admittedly, was that he wrote that article whereas the article I'm talking about is user-generated content on his website). But I think that it is a really interesting and unexpected consequence of Google Translate, that it might actually help Esperanto associations who have cause to prosecute Esperanto-speakers for libel to have their complaints taken seriously by their native-language legal systems. And this is a good thing, because there is no logical reason why it should be more acceptable for someone to insult you in Esperanto than in any other language.

The second point is that I then tweeted a link to this article with the hashtag #howdoyousaywankerinesperanto. Of course, because I mentioned the magic word "Esperanto", I woke up to find out I'd been retweeted by several pointless accounts, which seem to mindlessly retweet anything which mentions the language at all. I really don't understand people like this and it embarrasses me to be associated with them.

[/HOBBYHORSE] :)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 462 of 522
03 December 2014 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid you'll have to redo this post since you didn't start the [/HOBBYHORSE] open tag [HOBBYHORSE]

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 463 of 522
03 December 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Computer languages have never been my strong point :D

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 464 of 522
04 December 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I'm on page 100 of 'Nespokoj' now. It's such a good book that I feel like I want to reread the pages I've already done at the weekend with more concentration. It's hard to concentrate completely when I'm on the train and I feel like I might get more out of it if I was able to read it in silence and make notes of the words I don't know.

I'm nearly at 175 books now, but I don't think I'll get an extra star because I already have too many for books and not enough for films.

I watched one episode of 'Bitange i Princeze' last night and it was really funny :) Will hopefully watch more tonight.

I had a message out of the blue from an Esperantist I haven't spoken to for years and spent some time replying to him last night. It restored by faith in humanity a bit and reminded me that there are some nice people who speak Esperanto as well as the abject losers.

At work I have been asked to sit in on a conference call with France because I speak German and therefore might be able to understand what they're saying. Not sure how that is going to work!

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version