Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 56 ... 65 66 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 441 of 522
23 November 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Assuming "everyone on earth" has seen tons of American movies... sigh.......
Hilarious how later on the article does point out that not all pirates spoke English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 442 of 522
23 November 2014 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Thank you for sharing your experiences iguanamon - it's really interesting to hear
your perspective :)

I am more M42 than M62 but I would definitely say "eee ahh" and "shivuh me timbuhs"
too.

I very rarely watch American TV/movies but my boyfriend is a massive wrestling fan and
over the past few years I have got hooked on WWE as well. So when I watch the Survivor
Series PPV tomorrow I will try to listen out for the r's! To be honest I struggle to
understand the accents on WWE quite a bit, to the point where I sometimes have to get
my boyfriend to translate for me, and I often completely mishear what someone's name
is and spend weeks under a misapprehension about what they are called.

As luck would have it I've got a business trip to Scotland on Tuesday, so I will try
to listen out for some r's there as well :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 443 of 522
23 November 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
OK, just use whatever r you want, as long as it can be heard.* That's why it's included in the spelling. If you use your pronounced r in words like radio, roll, rugby, that's probably close enough to the sound I call General American r (which however isn't close to the Esperanto r, but that's why I give you an option).

* Don't assume that it's mute as in court, car, ear.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 444 of 522
24 November 2014 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeff, that's pretty much my approach at the moment :) I guess the worst that happens is that I sound like I'm speaking Esperanto with a slight English accent.

I had a break from watching 'Bitange i Princeze' yesterday and watched two episodes of 'Europa u Fokusu' instead. This the new name for DW Hrvatski's weekly European news magazine, although why they have changed the name I'm not sure, because the presenter and the format seem to be the same. There were some interesting items, especially one about people of Russian origin living in Estonia who don't hold citizenship of either country. I knew this was a problem in Latvia but didn't realise it was also an issue in Estonia, although I do remember when I was in Tallinn a few years ago wanting to see a Soviet war memorial and not being able to find it because it had been moved to some obscure location.

I haven't watched much DW recently, partly because I know it's a grey area for the SC, and I was literally amazed by how much I was able to understand with so little effort. The speech is a lot slower and clearer than in programmes like 'Bitange i Princeze' and mercifully devoid of Zagreb slang. But I can remember when I started watching these programmes at the start of the year that I was just proud if I could work out what each news segment was about, with the help of the pictures and the words I understood. I can remember getting really excited once when I picked out the word 'međutim' and understood it. This time I found I was understanding more than I was not understanding and getting frustrated when I missed a sentence. A few times I rewound it to listen again to something I had missed. There would have been no point me doing that in January. So now I do feel a bit more positive about my achievements for the year :)

I finished reading 'Plovidba Broda Zorogaza' on Sunday and this morning I have started reading the next Narnia book, 'Srbreni Stolac'.

I spent two hours on Sunday working through a few more chapters of my BCS grammar textbook and I feel like I learned so much :) One of the most interesting things I read was how different sentence structures can be used to differentiate between the use of negated forms of htjeti to mean either "I will not " or "I don't want to". Also I finally tackled a section about different verb types and how patterns of vowel changes differentiate between perfective and imperfective verbs. While I wouldn't say I've mastered all the verb types and patterns yet, I have definitely increased my awareness of them, which should make it easier for me to remember the aspect of certain verbs. I'm always getting confused between 'spremiti' and 'spremati' on Memrise, for example, but I think from now on I will get it right :)

The rest of my weekend I spent analysing the Esperanto Association's stock take results. Always interesting to see what has sold in the year, and what hasn't!

Still deliberating over my language plans for next year. There's a big gap between what I want to achieve and what I think I will realistically have time to achieve.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 445 of 522
26 November 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm in Scotland for work at the moment, which necessitated a 7am flight yesterday morning. I did manage to do some reading on the plane though and got through 45 pages of 'Srebrni Stolac'. I was hoping to read more but the flight to Edinburgh was actually a lot quicker than I expected.

I worked late last night so didn't get chance to watch any films. This morning I read another 50 pages before breakfast though, so I should easily be able to finish it before the end of the week.

Last time I was in Scotland it was January and I was still being successful with all my resolutions for 2014, so being here towards the end of a year is quite a powerful reminder of all the things I've failed in!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 446 of 522
26 November 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
50 pages before breakfast is impressive! I struggle to read 10 pages in French before breakfast, and French is my best language among those I'm still studying.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 447 of 522
26 November 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
50 pages before breakfast is impressive! I struggle to read 10 pages in French before breakfast, and French is my best language among those I'm still studying.

I'd struggle with 50 pages of English before breakfast!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 448 of 522
26 November 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Haha I don't normally do anything before breakfast at all, but I got up at 7 and I'm staying in a hotel which is a five minute walk away from the client where I'm working, so I had plenty of time before I needed to meet my colleague for breakfast at 8.30 :)

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version