Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 289 of 522
22 August 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
I haven't been very good at posting in my log this week because I haven't achieved very much.

After finishing 'The Magician's Nephew' at the weekend, I haven't started a new book in Croatian this week and have been reading a time management book in English instead. It had an interesting exercise in it to keep a log of how you spend your time all week. Having done it for a couple of days, I have established that I probably spend more time complaining about Esperanto work and sitting at my computer procrastinating Esperanto work than actually just doing it. I have one particularly daunting and tedious task on my list at the moment (a complete rewrite of our handbook for trustees) which has been sitting on my online to-do list for weeks as my most overdue task, reproaching me every time I look at it, so I think this weekend I just need to be firm with myself and at least start it!

I have listened to another 43 minutes of 'Grimizna Studija'. I listened to this one at home and I found I understood a significantly higher proportion of it (with having no background noise) than when listening to it on the train (when sometimes I can't hear every word).
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 290 of 522
22 August 2014 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Hodiaŭ matene mi eksciis ke nun eblas traduki na Twitter Esperanten. Mi diskonigis la informon pere de la konto de Esperanto-Asocio de Britio, ĉar mi esperas ke tiom multaj da Esperantistoj kiom eblas partoprenos, por ke tiu tradukado ne fariĝu tiom fuŝa kiom la tradukado de Facebook. Mi ege ĝojis kiam mi unuafoje vidis la Esperantan tradukon de Facebook kaj mi eĉ uzis ĝin dum kelkaj jaroj, sed finfine mi devis rezigni pri tio ĉar la traduko enhavis tro da eraroj. Bedaŭrinde tiuj homoj kiuj plej arde entuziasmis pri la tradukado estis ne spertuloj sed komencantoj kiuj ankoraŭ ne sufiĉe bone regis la lingvon. Ne gravas ĝenerale se homoj proponas tradukojn fuŝajn ĉar la sistemo funkcias tiel ke aliaj kunlaborantoj povas ŝati aŭ malŝati la tradukojn de aliaj, kaj nur tiuj vortoj kaj frazoj kun la plej altaj poentoj fariĝas oficialaj. Dum la tradukado de Facebook, tamen, laŭ mia kompreno oni iel ŝanĝis la sistemon kun la rezulto ke multaj el la plej spertaj homoj perdis siajn alirorajtojn kaj do ne plu kapablis kunlabori. Restis malmultaj homoj kiuj povis kontroli la proponatajn tradukojn de la komencantoj kaj la tuta afero do plenplenas de eraroj. Tre ofte, ekzemple, oni vidas frazojn kiel “Estu la unuaj el via amikon kiuj ŝatas tio“ kaj simile. Tiom aĉas ke finfine mi relelektis uzi na Facebook pere de la angla lingvo, kaj mi kredas ke multaj aliaj Esperantistoj same faras. Do mia granda espero por Twitter estas ke ĝi evitu la saman sorton!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 291 of 522
23 August 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I woke up quite early this morning and read Benny's book before breakfast. I'd had it
on my Kindle for ages and never got around to starting it.

I devoted most of this morning to Macedonian. I haven't done as well as I'd hoped with
Macedonian and I can't blame that on lack of resources (though there is a distinct lack
of resources!) because it's purely down to lack of effort.

This morning I wrote out a list of emergency Macedonian phrases on a piece of paper
that I can keep in my pocket when I'm travelling. They're just basic phrases like
asking for glass of white wine or where the toilet is. I know all these phrases by
heart already, but having them written down makes me feel less nervous.

The British Embassy tweeted yesterday that there were more protests planned in Skopje
for yesterday, but I can't find anything about them in the media today so I'm hoping
they weren't a big deal. Some of the protests in July looked a bit scary and I've read
a few doom-and-gloom articles about the general situation since then, but as far as I
can tell things look to have calmed down in August. I'm not going to be in Skopje on a
Friday anyway, so unless things escalate very unexpectedly I shouldn't have any
problems.

In the afternoon I forced myself to practise my Cyrillic reading again and got through
12 pages of a Serbian fairytale called "Старац преварио дивове". 12 pages doesn't sound
like a lot, but that's the most I've ever read in Cyrillic so it feels like an
achievement. I definitely got faster as I went on; I was helped by the fact that lots
of the sentences in the story were quite repetitive.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 292 of 522
24 August 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I spent a lot of the morning researching Serbian bus timetables and writing emails to
the various accommodation I have booked explaining my likely times of arrival. The day
I am travelling from Niš in Serbia to Bar in Montenegro is a particularly long one and
I don't think I'll get to the apartment until 22.00, so I'm hoping they'll write back
and say that isn't a problem. Writing basic emails seems quite straightforward now and
I can see a big improvement in my ability to string a sentence together from when I was
planning last year's holiday.

This afternoon I was reading some of the BCS Grammar textbook which is an amazingly
detailed book, but quite heavy-going at times. It feels a bit like reading the Bible;
if you really want to understand it you should only read a couple of sentences each
morning and spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what they mean :D I found a
chapter today on conjunctions which I think gives an absolutely definitive guide to
when to use 'da' and 'što' to mean 'that' but by the time I'd finished reading it my
head was spinning. It's not that I think it's too difficult to understand, I just find
that with grammar books I have to read the same page about 10 times before it starts
to sink in! At least I know it's there now so I can refer to it if I get confused about
which to use in future.

I didn't do anything for the Super Challenge today because this evening I started
reading a book called 'Realm of the Black Mountain', which is a comprehensive history
of Montenegro. It's well written and I'm learning a lot from it because in all the
books I've read on Balkan history so far, Montenegro seems to have been almost
completely neglected.

It's a public holiday here tomorrow (yay!) so I'm going to try to make time to improve
my film count.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 293 of 522
25 August 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, well, I did increase my film count by 34 minutes today when I watched another episode of 'Bitange i Princeze'. I'm
nearly at the end of the second series now and my comprehension must definitely be improving, because my other half
started giving me funny looks when I was laughing out loud at the some of the jokes.

I didn't get a lot else done today, although I did read some more of 'Realm of the Black Mountain' and write a
blog post about my travel
plans for next weekend.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 294 of 522
26 August 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I started reading the second (and most well-known) Narnia book today: 'Lav, vještica i
ormar'. I don't think I've read this for 20 years so it's fun but I almost feel like I'm
cheating by counting it for the Super Challenge because the vocabulary is so simple.

This is the opening paragraph:

Quote:
Bilo jednom četvero djece, a zvali su se Peter, Susan, Edmund i Lucy. Ovo je priča o
nečemu što im se dogodilo kad su ih, za vrijeme rata, zbog zračnih napada, poslali iz
Londona. Poslani su u kuću jednoga starog profesora koji je živio u srcu Engleske, deset
milja od najbliže željezničke postaje i dvije milje od najbližega poštanskog ureda. Nije bio
oženjen, a živio je u vrlo velikoj kući, s domaćicom gospodom Macready i tri sluškinje.
(Njihova su imena bila Ivy, Margaret i Betty, no one se baš i ne pojavljuju u priči.) Sâm
profesor bio je vrlo star čovjek čupave bijele kose koja mu je rasla ne samo po glavi, nego
i po većem dijelu lica. Djeci se gotovo odmah svidio premda im je prve večeri, kad je izišao
na kućna vrata da bi ih dočekao, izgledao toliko čudno da se Lucy (koja je bila najmlađa)
malo prestrašila, a Edmunda (koji je bio malo stariji) spopao je smijeh pa se morao
pretvarati da briše nos ne bi li to sakrio.

This is what I understood from it:

Once upon a time there were four children and they were called Peter, Susan, Edmund and
Lucy. This is a story about what happened to them when they were sent away from London
during the war because of the air raids. They were sent to the house of an old professor who
lived in the heart of England, ten miles from the nearest railway station and two miles from
the nearest post office. He wasn't married but he lived in very big house with a housekeeper
called Mrs Macready and three servants. (Their names were Ivy, Margaret and Betty, but they
don't really appear in the story). The professor himself was a very old man with white hair
which didn't just grow on his head but also over a large part of his face. The children
liked him straight away, although on the first evening when he went out to the front door to
greet them, he looked so strange that Lucy (who was the youngest) was a little bit scared
and Edmund (who was just a bit older) smiled and had to pretend he was blowing his nose to
hide it.

Words I didn't know at all:

- čupav = shaggy, tufted, ragged, fluffy
- spopasti = to seize, to overcome

So you can see that the level must be about 10 times easier than the book I was reading
about Julius Caesar last time I tried this exercise. I definitely recommend Narnia if you
want a book to boost your Super Challenge confidence :D

For completeness this is the original English text:

Quote:
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. This
story is about something that happened to them when they were sent away from London during
the war because of the air-raids. They were sent to the house of an old Professor who lived
in the heart of the country, ten miles from the nearest railway station and two miles from
the nearest post office. He had no wife and he lived in a very large house with a
housekeeper called Mrs Macready and three servants. (Their names were Ivy, Margaret and
Betty, but they do not come into the story much.) He himself was a very old man with shaggy
white hair which grew over most of his face as well as on his head, and they liked him
almost at once; but on the first evening when he came out to meet them at the front door he
was so odd-looking that Lucy (who was the youngest) was a little afraid of him, and
Edmund (who was the next youngest) wanted to laugh and had to keep on pretending he was
blowing his nose to hide it

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 295 of 522
27 August 2014 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Pasintsemajne mi ricevis sciigon ĉe la laborejo ke antaŭ la fino de septembro ĉi-jare mi devas peti permeson por ĉiuj libertagoj kiujn mi volas preni dum 2015. Kutimas ĉe ni ke oni devas antaŭpeti almenaŭ 9 monatoj kiam oni volas feriumi, do ĉi-jare oni volas eĉ pli da antaŭaverto ol kutime. Mi komprenas kial estas tiel: temas pri tio ke ni laborantoj pasigas la plejmulton de nia tempo ne en la propra oficejo sed ĉe klientoj, kaj oni do devas kreiigi tre detalan tempoplanon kiu montras kiu estos ĉe kiu kliento kiam. Tamen eĉ post preskaŭ naŭjara laborado ĉi-tie daŭre ĝenas min ke mi devas tiom antaŭpripensi ĉiujn planojn.

Kien mi emas vojaĝi dum 2015 mi ankoraŭ devos pripensi kaj kompreneble pridiskuti la aferon kun mia koramiko. Iom plikomplikigas la aferon tio ke la frato de mia koramiko intencas geedziĝi dum 2015 sed ankoraŭ ne sukcesis mendi ejon kaj findecidi pri la dato. Mi kredas ke tiu geedziĝo verŝajne okazos dum julio, sed estas malfacile certi. Mi klopodas eviti feriojn dum julio kaj do petos liberajn semajnojn dum junio kaj septembro anstataŭ. Tamen mi ege timas ke mi elektos semajnon, mendos flugojn ktp kaj poste ekscios ke la geedziĝo neatendite nun okazos ĝuste dum tiu semajno. Tiam mi certe ne volos nuligi mian vojaĝadon, sed mi povas imagi ke la gepatroj de mia koramiko treege koleriĝus. Ili jam opinias ke mi tro ofte vojaĝas kaj preferus ke mi rest ĉe-hejme kaj nasku infanojn.

Nu, la kialo ke mi skribas ĉi-tiun en Esperanto estas ke ĉi-matene venis al mi la penso ke mi devas ekscii kiam okazos la 2015a IJK. Post kiam mi ĉeestis la 2011an IJKon en Ukrainio, mi diris ke mi neniam denove malŝparos semajnon da mia feriatempo ĉe Esperanto-aranĝo. Tamen mi legis ĉe Libera Kloako ke la 2015a IJK okazos en Germanio kaj pro tio mi malgraŭ ĉio ekemas ĉeesti. Mi ĉiam tre ĝuas feriumadon en Germanio, kaj oni povas certi ke kiam evento tiulande okazas, ĝi estos bone organizita :) Mi ja estas nun iom tro aĝa por iri al junulara renkontiĝo, sed aliflanke estas kelkaj Germanaj Esperantistoj kiujn mi ege ŝatas kaj tamen ne vidis dum suffice longe tempo. Ni vidu!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 296 of 522
28 August 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
I finished reading 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' this morning on the train. That takes me to just over 111 books.

I was planning to watch a film last night but at the last minute it turned out that I needed to spend the majority of my laptop's battery life working on VAT problems for the Esperanto association. That was a fun evening. It's ironic sometimes how much of the work I do for Esperanto is actually in English.

Anyhow by the time I had finished all I had time/battery for was an episode of 'Bitange i princeze'. This episode was a bit surreal because all the action happened inside someone's dream, so I found it a bit harder to understand. I can't wait until I have electricity back in my house. Unfortunately I still don't know when that will be as we are having problems with the insurance company. It is all taking so long that my neighbour's insurance company is threatening to sue my insurance company over the delay. I'm not sure how that is going to help.

Re what I wrote in Esperanto yesterday about the IJK, I found out that it will from 2 to 9 August. So I think I might try requesting that week off and see what happens. There is only a slim chance I would be allowed to have that week off in reality because people with children and people who are married to teachers have to have priority in August, but there is no harm in asking.

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version