Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 417 of 522
11 November 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I know, I just really struggle with this sound because in my version of English it doesn't exist! I understand theoretically that in proper English there is a difference between the 'u' sound in 'put' and 'cut', for example. However, in the accent of the region where I am from, both are pronounced exactly the same (like the 'u' in 'put') so I find it really difficult to hear or reproduce the 'u' in 'cut'. The first time somebody told me those words don't actually rhyme I burst out laughing because I thought it was a joke. Often when I hear Germans speaking English it sounds to me like they are asking for a 'cap of tea' rather than a 'cup of tea', although probably they actually have a better pronunciation than me :)

Edited by Radioclare on 11 November 2014 at 1:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 418 of 522
12 November 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Feeling a bit more positive about 'Raskol' today. I'm on page 159 now and there's been quite a bit of dialogue, which I understand better than the descriptive passages.

I have learned a new word - močvara (swamp, marsh, bog).

I didn't do anything else productive last night. I feel like it hasn't been a very productive week so far.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 419 of 522
13 November 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I had a longer commute today so was able to make better progress with 'Raskol' - I'm now on page 211 and I'll have another hour to read on my way home this evening. I felt like I was getting more into the storyline today, so I think reading it for a longer period of time is probably the answer. I can normally only read it for 25 - 30 minutes which sometimes is only enough for about 12 pages (there are nearly 400 words to a page!) so my progress feels quite disjointed.

I have learned a few more strange words, like ubožnica - workhouse, almshouse.

I managed to fit one episode of 'Bitange i Princeze' in last night. Still not doing as well as last week.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 420 of 522
14 November 2014 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had for a while. I was working at a client about 50 miles away and disruption on the rail network elsewhere meant my train was cancelled. I was stuck at a little local station for 90 minutes while I waited for the next available service; there was nowhere to sit down and not enough light to read by, so it was extremely frustrating. It was sometime between half eight and nine before I got home, leaving me nine hours until I had to get up again. Excellent.

Once I was finally on the train I did get a seat though and was able to read, which means I'm now on page 277 of 'Raskol'. That's 66 pages read since yesterday's update, which isn't bad. I feel like I'm getting a bit more used to the author's style now, though I'm still finding the vocabulary difficult, and occasionally the translation uses weird tenses like the aorist, which just upset me.

I watched one more episode of 'Bitange i Princeze' before I went to bed. I counted yesterday, and now I'm on episode 19 of series 4 I have watched 78 episodes of this programme since May. There are another five episodes in series 4 and then I think another 20 or so episodes of series 5 (the final series) before I get to the end of it.

In order to have read 200 books and watched 100 films by the end of 2014 I would have to watch 40 minutes of TV per day and read about 45 pages. I'm thinking the reading target might be achievable but the films might be too ambitious; for every day I manage to watch two episodes there are probably three days where I don't watch anything at all.

In terms of the 6WC, the flashcard thread made me feel guilty yesterday about my neglected Memrise, so I spent half an hour catching up on it over lunch. Also while I was stranded at the station I spent 30 minutes playing 'Who wants to be a millionaire' in Croatian on my phone. I think I'm getting better at understanding the questions now, although I still get most of them wrong :)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 421 of 522
14 November 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I have to say you missed a great opportunity there to progress your super challenge statistics. A smart phone, or tablet, with headsets doesn't need an reading light. In 90 minutes you could have watched an entire film. You might even get to the point of liking disruptions!

I've recently managed to get one of those new Tesco Hudl2 tablets for about £11.00 after using up all my Tesco saver points. But even at full price they are a super challengers dream come true.

:)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 422 of 522
14 November 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Haha, yes you're right :) I guess I should have something downloaded onto my phone to watch in emergency situations such as this!

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 423 of 522
14 November 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Haha, yes you're right :) I guess I should have something downloaded onto my phone to watch in emergency situations such as this!

Or listen! Audio books count as films!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 424 of 522
15 November 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Today has mostly involved a lot of housework so far, but I've spent an hour or so this
afternoon rearranging some of my bookshelves. My boyfriend put up some new bookshelves
during the week, so we're in the process of moving all sorts of things.

This is my Slavic languages shelf. Croatian is on the right and Russian is on the
left. There's a Macedonian dictionary between the two :)

I've also been able to get all my German language materials on one shelf:

(There are two Czech books on there too, because they won't fit on the Slavic shelf. I
suspect my Slavic books are ultimately going to require more than one shelf!)

In the other room with our new bookshelves, I now have space for a big shelf of German
literature.

In comparison, my Croatian literature (and books about Balkan history) don't look too
impressive! But it's good to have space for expansion :)

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version