131 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 16 17 Next >>
Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6816 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 97 of 131
08 December 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
sunny wrote:
I wonder why most language learners do not study music in the language they are concentrating on. You seem to be all focussed on bookwork, but listening to natives singing songs, whether popular or folk songs, seems to be the very best way to learn the sounds in any language.

Very individual. This does not work for me. I have not interest in songs. I like text with words, more and more words, and the sound of the spoken voice, without the interference of music.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 131
08 December 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
I would not do this. it is too boring. I think it is just as good to listen to new and interesting material, repetitively yes, but eventually moving on to new stuff.

Yes, that's my thought as well. Listening to known material repeatedly as well as mixing that with new material.

However, if I at a somewhat later stage should decide to focus more on pronunciation (for whatever reason), I think I would give the chorus method a chance, just as I've practised certain musical phrases over and over again to make sure I could play them back accurately. I won't say it is a question of either/or, more a question of where at the scale you'd like to start. I would not start with chorusing right away (at least not as my main method), but not be completely silent either.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 99 of 131
08 December 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
sunny wrote:
I wonder why most language learners do not study music in the language they are concentrating on. You seem to be all focussed on bookwork, but listening to natives singing songs, whether popular or folk songs, seems to be the very best way to learn the sounds in any language.

I don't do this. I don't think that the sung language sounds as the spoken language, with differences in pronunciation in order to match the rhythm.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 131
08 December 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
sunny wrote:

I'd be curious to know why you should think of it as the best way? It provides next to no help at all with prosody, which is the biggest part of a native accent, since the natural intonation and rhytm patterns of normal speech are just not there. The phonemes (sounds) used can end up slightly different when sung as well and the music will get in the way of concentrating on them, or even hearing them properly.

But listening to songs in the target language is good as entertainment, especially if you like music, and it can help with motivation and give a taste of the culture, and contribute to vocabulary and grammar patterns. I see it as a relaxing complement to my "real" studies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 101 of 131
08 December 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I know chorusing approach is very boring, but I ask about efficiency. Perhaps its worth the torture if it is very efficient.

I reminds me of Linguamor. He claimed that her partner had learned Spanish in two steps:

1-Pimsleur 1,2 and 3.

2-Two hours Spanish TV every day for three months.

At the beginning he didn't understand and, after three months, he was fluent.
The step 1 is boring, but they second step is extremely boring if you only understand 5 or 10% of the L2 speech I know is boring, but its worth it if its possible to achieve fluency in that short period of time. Maybe it worth the torture.

Same with the chorusing approach. Maybe it's mortal boring, but is it extremely efficient for pronunciation?

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6816 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 102 of 131
08 December 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Boring tasks will not be effective. The key element to success in language learning is enjoyment. If you like what you do you will learn, and you will do a lot of it.

What people find enjoyable will vary. I find Pimsleur not enjoyable but can tolerate Assimil Russian or did, at least listening to the texts and then reading the French where I needed it.

I cannot watch TV or movies that I do not understand. I prefer to listen and read, staying with content that is only a little difficult for me. If you can almost meet the challenge, you will experience achievement and enjoyment in the task. IMHO.

Edited by Zhuangzi on 08 December 2007 at 1:47pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 103 of 131
08 December 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
sunny wrote:
As for me, I use music A LOT, because I love it :) It's one of my main ways of creating immersion - I usually listen to music in Finnish for at least 7h a day and often sing along. An advantage is that it doesn´t demand as much concentration as shadowing/listening to the radio, and also isn't as exhausting.

anjathilina
Diglot
United States
Joined 6392 days ago

33 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Hindi

Message 104 of 131
08 December 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
sunny wrote:

I'd be curious to know why you should think of it as the best way? It provides next to no help at all with prosody, which is the biggest part of a native accent, since the natural intonation and rhytm patterns of normal speech are just not there. The phonemes (sounds) used can end up slightly different when sung as well and the music will get in the way of concentrating on them, or even hearing them properly.

But listening to songs in the target language is good as entertainment, especially if you like music, and it can help with motivation and give a taste of the culture, and contribute to vocabulary and grammar patterns. I see it as a relaxing complement to my "real" studies.

I agree. Listening to music in Mandarin, while enjoyable, is especially useless for me because I can't hear the tones at all.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version