Groupie
United States
Joined 6065 days ago

47 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 131
04 December 2007 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:

It's more a shy hypothesis than any theory :). Most children manage because, as many scientists claim, it's easy to learn pronunciation until some age.

What age do people refer to when talking about accent acquisition?
1 person has voted this message useful

virgule
Antarctica
Joined 6628 days ago

242 posts - 261 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 50 of 131
05 December 2007 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Who on this forum has achieved 'perfect pronunciation' in a non-native language, starting after adolescence?

Oddly enough, I believe I have. I say oddly enough, because it was never a specific aim of mine. I first started learning the language in school, aged 14. Aged 20 I still had a strong foreign accent. Now, I can chat with natives for hours before they find out - and they find out because of the content of what I am saying. I also had work colleagues complimenting me on my language skills in my native language, when they heard me say a few word. One of the weirder experiences must be when natives won't accept that I'm not one of them... This happened for example once when I was looking for an opt out not to present and suggested that non-natives were exempt... or sometimes when I coach kids.

Quote:
- How? What techniques did you use: shadowing, immersion, silent periods, working with professional speech therapists, some combination, none of these..?

When I was at language school, I did standard pronunciation work (such as found in Baker's "Ship or Sheep"). Other than that, for about two months I recorded my own voice and compared it to the pronunciation of recorded words. Usually, this was along the nature of minimal pairs, contrasting similar sounds. Most of the time, however, I did no particular pronunciation work. The aim at the time wasn't to sound like a native, but simply to sound less foreign.

After language school, I stayed on in the country. So I guess the technique you want is total immersion.

Quote:
- How specific of an accent did you aim for:

The standard educated accent, which is what most language material is based on. It was also the accent of the region I went to school at the time.

Quote:
Did you attempt to limit your exposure to other accents at any point(s) during this process?

I'm not sure I understand this question. If you mean other accents of the target language, then no. I have always been in an international environment, where not only different regional accents, but various foreign accents are commonplace (in addition to foreign languages).

If you refer to my native language, then only in as much as I twice refused to speak it for about four months at a time (except for once every two weeks an hour on the phone).

I know you specifically asked not to have theories... but I still would like to share what I observed around me: those who are strongly embedded in their home culture and can't let go, find it harder to improve their pronunciation. These are people who prefer their own food, are clear that they don't want to stay in the country, strongly identify with their country, find local customs difficult to engage with. It's not about what you do, but how you feel about where you are.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6656 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 51 of 131
05 December 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
virgule wrote:
I know you specifically asked not to have theories... but I still would like to share what I observed around me: those who are strongly embedded in their home culture and can't let go, find it harder to improve their pronunciation. These are people who prefer their own food, are clear that they don't want to stay in the country, strongly identify with their country, find local customs difficult to engage with. It's not about what you do, but how you feel about where you are.

I think this is a lot of it right here. I believe, despite what so many people say that a native accent and intonation, or at least very near native, is obtainable by the majority of us. It's not magic, it's just training. A lot of that training is mental though: the people have to believe they can do it, and really want to.

I put a lot of emphasis on accurate pronunciation when I speak Spanish or German, particularly German. A few times people thought I was a native speaker, but more often than not, they simply couldn't tell where I was from...I had a touch of an unidentifiable accent (which I'd like to get rid of and make it a clean accent).

I listened to a lot of German music and unintentionally learned the basics of German pronunciation (I started in my early teens, so this might not quite meet your criteria, Volte). While in Germany, I took a phonetics class, which taught me a few things, but not much I hadn't already naturally learned. But really what I did was listen to native speakers intently and made many many many recordings of my voice which I would then listen to, looking for traces of foreignness.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 52 of 131
05 December 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
If you don't live in your target language country, it seems impossible to achieve a native or near native pronunciation.

For example,I have found an example of strong Spanish pronuntiation, but it sounds British to me.

http://www.ompersonal.com.ar/omaccents2/Spain.htm

What do you think about? Is it so Spanish pronunciation?

Edited by slucido on 05 December 2007 at 3:23pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 131
05 December 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
If you don't live in your target language country, it seems impossible to achieve a native or near native pronunciation.

For example,I have found an example of strong Spanish pronuntiation, but it sounds British to me.

She definitely is aiming for a British accent with her English, which makes it harder for me to evaluate whether her accent is 'heavy' or not, but her prosody does seem like that of a native speaker of Italian or Spanish, especially around the middle of the clip, and her accent varies quite a bit during the clip. That said, I wouldn't call her accent heavy; it sounds fairly light to me.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6816 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 54 of 131
05 December 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
slucido is right. When speaking a foreign language you are playing a new role, acting, and even pretending to be something you are not.. You have to get into the personality and imitate the behaviour of someone of a different culture. The lighter you are culturally, the smaller your own cultural ego, the easier it is to imitate someone of a different culture.

This is what I said earlier on this thread when I agreed with slucido.

I do not agree with him, though, that you have to live in the country to achieve good pronunciation. Nor does it necessarily matter. I spent an evening the other day with an immigrant of 40 years to Canada, who worked in senior positions in finance here. His pronunciation was awful. I have met people in China whio have never left the country and yet who sound almost native in English.

My Mandarin pronunciation is close to native, and was achieved without ever living in a country where Mandarin was spoken. On the other hand I listened over and over to Mandarin content, especially content with a heavy colloquial (if rather specialized) the Xiang Sheng. I have listened to MaxB (member of this forum) who learned his Mandarin in Sweden, and his pronunciation is probably better than mine.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6232 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 55 of 131
05 December 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:

I don't find that very Spanish at all, but it's like an exaggeration of an English accent. I doubt anyone would speak like that nowadays. It's not totally natural, but in an everyday situation I wouldn't pick up on it.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6032 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 56 of 131
05 December 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
the woman has a quite nice accent, but as already mentioned, somewhat exaggerated.
it's not even RP, it's actually more like those language tape actors :P, they all seem to sound like that.

about achieving a perfect accent.
it's definitely important to practice and just listen to the language a lot, but i've seen people struggling with accents even after long time immersion (my grandparents would be my closest example, they lived in Germany for 30 years and still kept an eastern european pronunciation). on the other hand tho, some people just get it right instantly.

i never had problems with accent, with almost any language (now only korean maybe, but i can't even fake korean as i just didnt hear a lot of it) being complimented by native french and japanese speakers, and recently a turkish guy from my class was pleased with how i pronounced some turkish he thought me.

i suppose it could be because of my multilingual upbringing, being raised with two unrelated languages and often imitating my mother speaking french as a kid. altough, this is somewhat contradictory as i've seen people being raised in similar conditions and not having good pronunciation.

it seems like people with a good pitch often have the ability to reproduce the most akward sounds with ease... i don't know how to really recognize a good pitch tho' (i guess the reproduction of these sounds could be an indicator :P)

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version