Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 121 of 131
11 January 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

That is not entirely accurate. Not all native speakers are familiar with the different accents, and just notice that it is not their own. Most of the time people recognize my Andalusian accent, but since some of the Andalusian traits, like dropping the d and s at the end of the syllable, are also present in Latin-American dialects, I can not count the number of times both Spaniards and Latin-Americans have asked me if I was from Latin-America, in spite of the fact that I differentiate between c and s. In Cuba I was even asked if I was from the south of Cuba. My husband still finds that one hillarious.

I believe you on this, but there's what I think is a pretty significant difference between what you say and what Cainntear says. You learned your Spanish at a fairly early age and primarily in one place. Cainntear said his accent is "all mixed up" and that was the reason people thought he was a native.

It's much easier to think someone is a native if their accent is consistent, even if different than the local spoken variety. If you're mixing accents, well... not so much.

But who is well-enough conversant with all accents to identify what constitutes a mixed-up or inconsistent accent? If I meet a South American who speaks good English (and I'm thinking even up to the level of people who attended International Schools as children here), often it's impossible for me to tell whether they're a Spanish-speaker with an American-influenced accent, or an American with a Spanish-influenced accent.

In the UK, most of our image of American accents is New York and California, because New York is the home of music and a lot of TV series, and California is where Hollywood is. When The Wire started, no-one over here knew what a Baltimore accent sounded like. Any time something's set in Chicago, it sounds weird to us. And then there's Fargo...

So I take other people's surprise at me being not being a native speaker in the same spirit. I wouldn't know a Kansas accent if I heard one, or a Nebraska accent, or a Maine accent, but I would certainly identify the speaker as a native English speaker. That leaves a whole spectrum of possible native accents that don't actually exist that I would assume was a some-state-or-other accent.

Like Solfrid, I do find it quite baffling to be called Mexican when I pronounce the S/Z distinction though....

Edited by Cainntear on 11 January 2012 at 1:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 122 of 131
11 January 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
While I'm not entirely sure you meant by 'mixed accent', I'll assume it is 'an accent that has traits of different native accents but is self-consistent'. I do this in English -- my accent is made of bits and pieces but unless I'm trying to mimic / playing with different accents I always pronounce any given word the same way.

The result is I've been asked a lot of times where in England or the USA I had been born, although it's pretty clear to me that my pronunciation is not perfect and my accent has mixed features that should immediately give me away as non-native or 'mixed' native at best (someone who kept moving to different places during his childhood), just like the s/c/z distinction should have given Solfrid Cristin or Cainntear away as non-Mexicans.

I would guess most native speakers are really familiar with just a few other native accents if at all, so any strange (but good enough) accent can and does come across to them as native albeit from a distant region. I am more or less good at languages and quite familiar with Cuban, Mexican or Argentinian accents, but if I heard a Peruvian, a Colombian and a Bolivian speaker, I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell their accents apart, let alone tell which is which. Why? Because I've heard some speakers from those places but I'm not familiar enough with those accents. Others may have the same problem with Mexicans and the like. Nihil sub sole novum :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 123 of 131
11 January 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Some people have said on this forum that you can't -- or are unlikely to? -- sound native unless you sound like you come from a specific region. That might be true to a degree -- you can't sound both American and British -- but I'd be careful not to overuse that principle.

After all, many people travel to different places throughout their lives and continue to sound native. Surely, sounding native has more to do with consistency and phonetic integrity than the listener being able to pinpoint where a particular set of phonemes belongs to.

Edited by Arekkusu on 11 January 2012 at 10:28pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 124 of 131
11 January 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Surely, sounding native has more to do with consistency and phonetic integrity than the listener being able to point out that a particular set of phonemes belongs to a specific area.

You've said it better than I managed to. Thank you.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 125 of 131
11 January 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Some people have said on this forum that you can't -- or are unlikely to? -- sound native unless you sound like you come from a specific region. That might be true to a degree -- you can't sound both American and British -- but I'd be careful not to overuse that principle.

After all, many people travel to different places throughout their lives and continue to sound native. Surely, sounding native has more to do with consistency and phonetic integrity than the listener being able to pinpoint where a particular set of phonemes belongs to.

I agree. I am a native Norwegian, but I do not speak the dialect of any particular place in Norway. I just speak a neutral, but conservative Norwegian which can be found mostly in the Eastern Region. It does not make me any less a native.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 126 of 131
12 January 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
At least during a brief conversation. I've been taken for being Irish (and Canadian) in Ireland, and American in Germany. And here in my Swedish home town, people still ask me when I moved here (I've been living in the same neighbourhood all my life for chrissake...).
3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 127 of 131
12 January 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Some people have said on this forum that you can't -- or are unlikely to? -- sound native unless you sound like you come from a specific region

I beg to differ and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I've been asked countless times where I am from... in my own hometown. With the exception of a few foreigners, nobody ever doubted I'm a native, though.

Edited by mrwarper on 12 January 2012 at 12:38am

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4531 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 128 of 131
12 January 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

I agree. I am a native Norwegian, but I do not speak the dialect of any particular place in Norway. I just speak a neutral, but conservative Norwegian which can be found mostly in the Eastern Region. It does not make me any less a native.

Is it okay for me to pronounce OSLO as OOSHLOO (sorry for using English respelling here)? :)

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version