4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 129 of 131
12 January 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Some people have said on this forum that you can't -- or are unlikely to? -- sound native unless you sound like you come from a specific region. That might be true to a degree -- you can't sound both American and British -- but I'd be careful not to overuse that principle.

After all, many people travel to different places throughout their lives and continue to sound native. Surely, sounding native has more to do with consistency and phonetic integrity than the listener being able to pinpoint where a particular set of phonemes belongs to.

I agree. I am a native Norwegian, but I do not speak the dialect of any particular place in Norway. I just speak a neutral, but conservative Norwegian which can be found mostly in the Eastern Region. It does not make me any less a native.

Is it okay for me to pronounce OSLO as OOSHLOO (sorry for using English respelling here)? :)

Yep. I usually do myself unless I am speaking with a little old lady from the West of Oslo :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 130 of 131
14 January 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Most Norwegians pronounce Oslo that way.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 131 of 131
14 January 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Some people have said on this forum that you can't -- or are
unlikely to? -- sound native unless you sound like you come from a specific region. That might be true to a
degree -- you can't sound both American and British -- but I'd be careful not to overuse that principle.

After all, many people travel to different places throughout their lives and continue to sound native. Surely,
sounding native has more to do with consistency and phonetic integrity than the listener being able to pinpoint
where a particular set of phonemes belongs to.

I agree. I am a native Norwegian, but I do not speak the dialect of any particular place in Norway. I just speak a
neutral, but conservative Norwegian which can be found mostly in the Eastern Region. It does not make me any
less a native.

Although "standard østlandsk" is not the dialect of any particular place, it does make you sound like you come
from a particular region. A better example would be someone like Anne Holt, who speaks an unstable mixture of
østlandsk (South Eastern Norwegian) and nordnorsk (Northern Norwegian), having grown up in both Lillestrøm
and Tromsø. Although people may disagree whether she sounds more like someone from the North or more like
someone from the South, nobody would doubt she's a native speaker.

Edited by tractor on 15 January 2012 at 8:36am

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version