Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2009 - New Adventures (closed)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 24 25 Next >>
dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6805 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 97 of 200
14 June 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
ExtraLean wrote:
Not much else to say, signed up to Shared Talk, though I've not yet used it.

Here be dragons.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 98 of 200
15 June 2009 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Yargh, this be true; nevertheless, these are my language adventures. So what's a little unknown territory?

HIC SVNT LEONES

*Edit* Worked through Lesson 64, now up to 65 of Assimil Spanish. Should be doing more active wave stuff. But don't want to.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 15 June 2009 at 2:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 99 of 200
17 June 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

Yesterday I was a good boy and flew through the active wave of stuff upto lesson 16. Which now puts me on par with where Assimil wants me to be.

Today I finished N°65 Assimil Espagnol, started N°66 and browsed ahead and discovered that the present subjonctif is lesson 67.

I have long since realised that I need to sit down and bust out a good amount of grammar/conjugation drills in Spanish. I can blunder my way through it when reading, but it's holding me back in my expression. I will aim to do so in the near future.

German wise: Today I posted a Lang-8 Post which was at least comprehensible. I am well chuffed with the fact that it was marked twice in about 10 minutes. I am still chugging along slowly with German. Keeping the wheels spinnging whilst my focus lies elsewhere.

I am also fighting the urge to replace German with Russian...I want to decypher that cyrillic alphabet.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 17 June 2009 at 7:10pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 100 of 200
20 June 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

Since my last update I have read 84 pages of "El Jeugo de Ender" and that's about it.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 101 of 200
22 June 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I finished the book today. Was pretty good, and was what I was looking for, a relatively simple but enjoyable read in a target language. I didn't use a dictionary at all while reading it. All in all I impressed myself. Onwards and upwards.

Thom.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 102 of 200
25 June 2009 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

Been slack recently, put a bunch of effort into work at the beginning of the week, didn't get any study done. After I finished El Juego de Ender, I took a break, then started Homenaje a Cataluña by George Orwell. Upto chapter 2 now and it seems alright, if slightly more harder going than Enders Game.

Will get back into studying soon, I promise. But reading in one of my TLs is still pretty decent I believe.

I did write a lang8 post in French. I didn't get any corrections, so I believe it to be perfect :p Anywho.

I remain,
Thom.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6472 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 103 of 200
25 June 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Tres bien, tres bien ! Je ne fais rien d'autre que de lire en ce moment, donc tu en as le droit aussi.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 

Message 104 of 200
26 June 2009 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Readers Mine,

Tomorrow will be my One Year of Membership Birthday, and I expect cake.

Well no, not really, but since I'm going away for the weekend, what I will do is a bit of a reflective piece looking at what I've accomplished this past year, and how this site helped me. What I've learnt etc.

French

Well I don't know how much HTLAL helped me learn French. I did go to classes, and live in Paris. It has however focussed my abilities, given me outlets to use it in it's written form and generally been worth while. Logging my progress helped me a fair bit I think. I'm a big fan of it.

Spanish.

All due to HTLAL, I used the standard methods. You can read back to the beginning of the log if you really want to know. I think that in the six months I've been studying it, that I have made great progress. More than I would have ever thought possible before finding this site and community. The support and motivation provided by various members, and the constant links towards resources etc has been invaluable.

German

The only reason I am doing this is because I have learnt that it is indeed possible to study more than one language at a time. And that languages aren't as hard as they first seem.

Turkish
HTLAL gave me the courage to give it a go. Turkish showed me that some languages are harder than others. Turkish encouraged me to stick to Western European languages. ;)

What I've learnt:

"There is no way to learning languages, learning languages is the way."

I have picked up a lot of tips that I've added to my learning. Consistancy, less/no reliance on dictionaries when reading, online radio, text chat, lang8, etc.

I had an epiphany today: ;)

[15:29]      <ExtraLean> Esperanto is like the Triangle. Sure it's a musical instrument, yes you can quickly get to an advanced level with it, it serves a purpose and may even help you learn other musical instruments later on. But do you really want to be the guy who plays the triangle? Do you?

Where to from here?

I'm already planning towards TAC '10. I am not sure if I'll go through with German in 2010 we'll see how it pans out this next six months. But it's not really 'fun' and I can't see much reward for the effort it will require, and I'm all about fun and profit.

So I'm tossing up ideas for the future. Is it worth taking Spanish to advanced fluency? Should I start Catalan (could be fun, and simple, and I should pick it up quite quick, from what I've already seen). Russian? Chinese/Japanese? What else?

Well that's it for now, thankyou for putting up with me for a year. I might edit with an update later, but then again I might not.

Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 26 June 2009 at 3:59pm

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version